Religion and Food Worship

Options
Okay, so I don't bow down to my food or pray to it..... but I do think about food all the time. What will I eat, when can I eat it, why can't I eat it, why I CAN eat it, and on and on. I am a Christian and God obviously considers gluttony a sin along with drunkards and the like.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” Proverbs 28:7 declares, “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

As believers shouldn't we be able to exercise self-control and view our bodies as a temple of God? I struggle with bing-eating and junkfood 'rewards' for losing weight ironically. I'd like to make a life-long attitude change about food and stop 'worshipping' it. I'd like to think more about God and less about food.

For those of you who have religious beliefs around food - Christian or not - how do you overcome this? Words of wisdom or advice? How does the sin of 'gluttony' affect your relationship with God and how your testimony is shared with others?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    This might be a better question and subject matter for a group and not the main forums.
  • KathyPerry70
    KathyPerry70 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is a great place to ask a question... Lots of people seem to do that here...

Pray, pray and pray. And remember that food is required to nourish your temple. It's also something we're allowed to enjoy. When I've restricted what foods I allow myself to eat, that's when I want those foods and start getting obsessed with food. So now instead of trying to cut some foods out, I just cut them down. Or I give myself a choice - I can have that now and then I only have 100 calories left for the rest of the day, or I can have something else and also have some dinner! Deciding to make better choices rather than telling myself I'm not allowed something has really helped me. I'm certainly not perfect with my way of eating. But I'm learning what works for me an what doesn't.

1 Corinthians 10:13
    Philippians 4:13
    1 Corinthians 10:31
    1 Timothy 4:4-5
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    This might be a better question and subject matter for a group and not the main forums.

Ehhh I'm kinda agreeing with you on that one. That could just be because I'm suppressing snarky replies though...
  • agcarden1
    agcarden1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have 1 Corinthians 6:19 posted in my house as a reminder that my body is a temple. That sometimes helps when im feeling a junk food binge coming on. You might be interested in reading a book called MadeTo Crave that describes cravings from a biblical perspective. I haven't read it yet but have heard some good things about it. Hope this helps!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    That could just be because I'm suppressing snarky replies though...

Add this drunkard to that list.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    Options
    That could just be because I'm suppressing snarky replies though...

Add this drunkard to that list.

I'm on a list, hurray! :happy:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I was referring to myself, but yes...you're the first one on the list. Sinner.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    Options

I was referring to myself, but yes...you're the first one on the list. Sinner.

Phew I thought I was being told off :flowerforyou: I'm happy to share a list with you!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I oftentimes treat food as how i did with spiritual things. i.e. you know how some people say you can sin a little bit every day because we are all human vs the people who strive not to sin in order to please God. Well, you can try that concept with food. Just like the Bible says in Romans about not using our liberty as a license to sin, well you can apply that to food, "dont use your liberty in Christ as a license to eat cakes, cookies, pop, fried chicken and pizza (to excess)"

theres a lot of ways we can compare spiritual things to our eating. And how God will help us and give us strength to endure anything by trusting in Him.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There is a balance, that's for sure. I always felt guilty knowing that I'm not treating this body that I was given with the respect it deserves. Once a month, we do a 24 hour fast and it can be hard to not eat or drink for that time period, but you really do feel the spirit when you remember that our spirit is stronger than the body, just as we can be stronger than our temptations.
  • klynshoe
    klynshoe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have never done a fast but its something I would like to learn more about. How does fasting effect your weight loss goals - doesn't it put your body into 'starvation' mode?
  • klynshoe
    klynshoe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have that book and started reading it a couple months ago but haven't finished it yet. Sometimes I actually don't want to read these things because it makes me feel accountable. I guess that's the whole point though so I better get reading!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own methods of worship. I have dedicated my life to being a gluttonous drunkard for Jesus. Do what works for you. Nothing helps me connect with God quite like prayer through the medium of pie.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Please note that certain topics that were formerly off-limits in the public forums are now permitted to remain on the boards, though we strongly recommend utilizing the new Group feature if you are concerned about unwanted commentary on your topic. The moderators will do our best to enforce civil conversation in this thread, and we expect all participants in this thread to abide by the guidelines which you can review in their entirety here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Posts made to publicize existing Groups are allowed in ALL cases on the Public Forums.

Please DO NOT report a post that is advertising a group, or that is proceeding politely and without incident.

If you start a new topic on the Public Forums, please use the following guideline as a filter:

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

At our discretion, this thread may be locked or deleted at any time..

With respect,

psuLemon
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.