Fat Middle-Aged Dad's

Options
Looking for other Fat Middle-Aged Dad's doing this with their wife and kid's as inspiration. Make your presence known!

My trainer just UPPED my calories to help me LOSE. Oxymoron.

Replies

• degoat11
    Options
    I'd love to be able to say I'm losing weight for myself..... but it gets too easy to drop it that way. I now tell myself that I'm losing the weight for them. Every time I look at my twins (one boy and one girl), I remind myself of how much I want to be here with them. It has made these last 4 months sooo much easier!
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to say I'm losing weight for myself..... but it gets too easy to drop it that way. I now tell myself that I'm losing the weight for them. Every time I look at my twins (one boy and one girl), I remind myself of how much I want to be here with them. It has made these last 4 months sooo much easier!

You, sir, have won!
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm in.

Had a huge health scare back in May. Since then I've been absolutely obsessed with getting fit.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Here! Totally agree about the reasons for this. Not only to be around for my kids, but to model a healthy lifestyle for them.
  • taoistpunk
    taoistpunk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    In it to win it. I wanna see that 8yr old boy o' mine turn 58!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I didn't start out here "fat" I just had that paunch that was getting bigger than I wanted. And my kids are grown, wife has always kept herself trim and remarkably fit. That being said, once I started logging calories I could easily see why I had put some weight on.

I have lost the 20 I wanted to lose and am eating healthier and exercising to keep the ticker in tune. I love MFP and don't ever see myself not logging. Glad to see you guys all making the decision earlier in life and taking responsibility for your health!
  • dmoppy
    dmoppy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My wife was my inspiration - she's been working at it for most of her life and really started buckling down a year or so ago. I wish I could say I just wanted to support her but I was tired of looking at Christmas photos and not being who I thought I should be. I decided I would work toward "50 for 50" and essentially did it by my birthday last October (really 50 was early November, but close enough). I need to add strength training - but like the weight stuff I'll do it when I ready to commit.

Wife has been great - although it was easier for me and she became tired at some points with “how easy" I found it and I needed to tone down the “look what I lost this week" rhetoric. Kids are 12 and 14 and don't seem to care, but I want to be a good role model for my daughter and son.

It's a journey, not a destination, that's for sure. Something I will always need to be conscious of.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    aaahh, you gotta love these fat dedicated daddies!
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    In because i like chubby older men! How are all of you handsome guys doing today?
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list. I have 2 boys (5 and 3) and a wife that loves to exercise and eat healthy. One day it just smacked me in the face that my family deserves better than Mr. Fatty Dad so I started to watch what I eat and am working out daily. I am happily on my way to <200 lbs!
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You know I'm here my friend. Oh and Tessyloowhoo, I'm doin' better now. lol.
  • peterjasper
    peterjasper Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Add me. I fit the criteria. I a very keen to shed some weight and have more energy at home and at work.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am 39 years old and married with two kids ages 9 and 7 with one more on the way. I was at 405 pounds in Feb. 2012. I'm now at 201 pounds. I just made a decision to lose weight after my little boy told me "Dad, you're too fat!" My family was my inspiration and motivation to lose weight. I'm 6-0. I had to have a conversation with my wife that I needed to make some changes. My grandfather died of a heart attack at age 47 (obesity plus smoking). At first, my wife was not very supportive (she has also gained weight since we got married) but she has been more supportive lately. I try to get in at least 2 hours a day of exercise.
  • mtndank
    mtndank Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Laughed out loud when I saw the topic post - perfect for me!

I've been getting slowly LARGER for the past 10 years or so... combine a sedentary IT job, a longish commute and sheer exhaustion of a 5 yo girl and 4 yo boy and you get the picture. Speaking of pictures - completely scary to look at a picture of myself right now. I don't FEEL that big but man am I round about the middle. Hairy too. Haha...

Been tracking food and activity with Fitbit and MFP pretty consistently - I know when I'm being bad. About to integrate in some additional exercise doing Power 90 from Beachbody. Right now my exercise is mostly walking and yard work.

Always inspired and motivated by my wife who works out and runs religiously - wish I had her discipline.

Anyway looking for some friends and support. Have 30-40lbs to lose.
  • bdgk
    bdgk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fat middle aged dad checking in. I lost 20kg a while ago, and put 15 of it back on. Want to be fit and healthy for my boys!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm a whole lot less fat than I used to be, and a whole lot more fit, but I do fit the spirit of this thread.

My Little Dude told me the other day that while he likes my "muscles" he wants me to stop getting "less fat". Reason?
    "The world needs more fat superheroes."
  • taxford
    taxford Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in too... my wife and I have a 16 month old that I use as inspiration for many of the reasons already mentioned. Over the course of my wife's pregnancy and the months following his birth I slowly gained about 20 lbs and reached my heaviest (about 315).

After some appendix removal surgery complications last fall, because of my girth, I decided to make a change for good. I'm down about 90 since last Thanksgiving, but need to lose about 20 more to get where I want to go.

Losing the weight allows me to keep up with the running toddler, and lets me get some little workouts in, chasing him around the house.

I really enjoyed stumbling across this thread.
  • rlotze
    rlotze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi....
    I'm Rob, and I'm a Fat Middle-Aged Dad.

I'm hoping to lose a hundred pounds and go skateboarding with my boys. :)
  • rlotze
    rlotze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In because i like chubby older men! How are all of you handsome guys doing today?

*smacks hand to forehead*