Gaining weight while weight training.

Options
andrea_wants_abs
andrea_wants_abs Posts: 51
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
In May I started a weight training routine. I KNOW my body is changing, I take measurements/pictures, and log my food routinely. However, my weight keeps creeping up. I'm not horribly upset by this, and I've heard that this has happened with others. I don't eat crazy high calories. Just wondering-- why? haha.

Reading some blogs they say this is pretty common in starting a weight training routine that one will gain weight initially before shedding weight. How long is that initial period if you guys find it to be true?

Thanks for your input!

(Please don't tell me that muscle weighs more then fat- muscle is more dense then fat.)

Replies

• nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bump. I just started weight training a few weeks ago and I'm curious of the same.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If everything is showing good results except the scale, ignore the scale.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    When you start something new like weight training your muscles will retain water as they work to repair them. I gained a net 3 inches the first month I started picking up some weights and only lost a couple pounds. It'll reverse its self back in no time. Now that I'm into Stronglifts the 2nd month I started to see inches and pounds come off faster (although still rather slow).
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but looked into this myself at the start of weight training to find that your muscles retain water as they repair/prepare for your next workout.

Here is an article that helped me understand it a bit better:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/406332-do-muscles-retain-water-after-a-new-exercise-program/
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't answer this....I never gain weight when I lift weights. I only gain weight when I eat too much.....
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would track two things.

1. Body fat % , If you're weight goes up but body fat % goes down then you're doing fine!

2. Measurements, if your weight fluctuates but you are still losing inches again you're doing just fine.

I gained about 5lbs when I really started lifting but my body fat % went down, that is how I track my progress. The scale is deceiving at times.
  • andrea_wants_abs
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts. I read some article talking specifically about people that are new to crossfit and how they typically will put on weight before losing weight.
    Who knows. :)
This discussion has been closed.