suggestions for home gym?

Options
I am considering the purchase of some weight training equipment to use in my home. I'm interested in an all-in-one unit -- free weights are not an option. Does anyone have any recommendations? (brand, specific features, etc.)

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see an all-in-one unit that i would use or recommend. Then again, i'm biased against machines that support the body, because they don't simulate how our body functions in the real world (standing and unsupported).
    Cable machines can be pretty versatile for upper body, but they don't really work the lower body & spinal muscles properly.
    Why not get a pair of adjustable dumbbells? They're a fraction of the size, weight, and cost of a machine.
    Then you can add a good set of resistance bands to simulate cable machine exercises - or get a cable machine like FreeMotion.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I love my Power Blocks. You can use them for everything.
  • reductoo
    Options
    SANDBAG! You can make your own or buy one already made. Great piece of equipment and investment!!!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend a machine such as you are interested in. I haven't used any.

I use free weights & a weight bench. much more practical, better quality workouts, too.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    In my basement gym there is a benching seat/bar thing that you can also do rows on. A homemade chin up bar, and lots and lots of dumbbells.
  • jeffathome
    jeffathome Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Personally I use free weights, a homemade pull up bar, push up bars and medicine balls but have you considered using resistance bands? They don't take up much room and you can do a lot with them.