Anyone else get more relaxed w/food with the last 5 pounds?

Options
I'm currently zigzagging calories because I've seen posts from many who have gotten good results for the last few that way. That being said, I'm down to 5(.6) pounds left to lose and I find that I'm not stressing myself as much about my eating. I'm still going to the gym very regularly, as that is a habit I have set, and I am still eating well, organic, fruits, veggies, home-cooked, I love the lifestyle! but I used to really freak out on myself if I had a bad day or wanted a candy bar or what have you, but for some reason, the closer I get to my goal, I'm just being a little bit kinder to myself as far as my calorie goal. I am not stressing about that extra 200 calories or not eating despite that slight twinge because I want to meet my calorie goal. Maybe because I know I've already lost over 30 and it'll come, or who knows. Has anyone else experienced relaxing the pressure in the last few pounds of their goal too?

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'd never been able to lose the last 5 pounds...and I mean I'm going on a decade plus. I feel like chocolate is more important than 5 lbs.

However, once I started using weights at the gym (in the last couple of months), I have lost about 3 of the last 5 lbs, and I haven't modified my diet significantly. I'm not going to give up the small amount of chocolate I do eat.
  • itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's so much easier to have a cheat day or a cheat meal or just one more glass of wine/piece of chocolate. I'm not sweating it, though. I'm working out pretty intensely and lifting weights and I'm not gaining. In fact, I'm getting quite happy with my appearance even though the scale isn't budging. It's a good feeling!
  • nobbta
    nobbta Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've actually got stricter, and more focussed now that I'm a few kilo's within goal. I decided to cut all alcohol, until a rather large event I am hosting (will be 27 days of no drinking).

My mindset is that I have worked too damn hard to make it this far and not reach my goal. Whether I'm there for a day, a week, a month, or longer. Whether I go up or down (and so far it's looking like down will be the way) there's no way I can let myself slide.

:)
  • abelthephotographer
    Options
    I've got to say I'm with nobbta. I seem to have gained focus last couple of weeks ... and now I'm a little below target, I feel so damned determined not to take my foot off the pedal, so still logging and maintaining my usual good habits ...
  • SwellyStyles
    Options
    Once I reached a weight where I was comfortable with how I looked and felt good about that number on the scale I relaxed a lot on my diet. With a basic knowledge of nutrition and a healthy workout regime you realize that if you start gaining unwanted weight you know how to fix it and fix it fast. You also learn that just as it takes time to lose weight (a significant amount more) you also won't transform into the old you after a day or even a week of some lenient eating. If I go a little over a couple days one week I see how it affects the way I look in the mirror and check the scale, then determine whether I'm good to keep going or if I just need to cut back a little the next week :) It's really nice actually and I came to learn that I could eat a LOT more than I thought and still not gain a pound!! For me it was all about trial and error and conquering my fears of certain foods (I literally thought that eating 400 calories worth of poptarts as opposed to 400 calories of greens and chicken would make me fat) by just eating them, plugging them into my counter and waiting to see that eating a poptart or some ice cream wouldn't kill me and I didn't have to eat plain grilled chicken and salad for every single meal.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I was doing well until I got sick with the flu. It took more than a month to get my energy back. I have about 5 pounds to go, and holding. My body seems to be doing other work and I'm gaining muscle right now, so that may be a part of it. I plan to stay on track forever and will be logging for the foreseeable future. Back when I gained too much with baby # 2 and went on a 1000 calorie diet. It took grit, but I eventually accomplished my goal. Then I went back to eating with the family and it took quite a while, but the pounds found their way back and brought friends. My mom was a yoyo dieter and was always fighting the "battle of the bulge." She didn't understand, and I didn't understand that the lifestyle change has to be permanent in order to keep the weight off. I understand it now.