Need some advice please

Options
Good morning! If anyone can look at my diaries and give me some advice I'd appreciate it! I've been losing and gaining the same few pounds for over 6 weeks now & I think I've out used 'too much sodium' at this point. I'm happy with my weight loss so far but the up & down if the same few pounds is wearing in me. I'm heading to work in a bit so if I don't answer right away, I will answer when I get to work. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    what are your goals?

edit:
    Also, your stats
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure EVERYTHING?

you might want to try and add some more fruit and veg - you dont need it to lose weight, but for your general health it'll do you the world of good!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Without knowing more about you....I am gonna go with some assumptions for now.....and we know what they say about assuming....
    But looking over a couple days from your diary::

1) To much processed and fast foods. Especially papa johns. STOP THIS. Prepare your meals the night before.
    2) Carbs and fats are high, and your protein is nothing for a guy your size
    3) Are you in the gym/exercising? If not, get to the weight room
    4) If you change up 1 and 2, then your carbs should be coming from better sources (swt potatoes, oatmeal, rice), your protein should also be coming from better sources.
    5) Your calories are extremely low for a guy your size (based on pics and if your diary is accurate), not to mention I personally think the make up of the calories you are getting, are extremely bad
    6) No veggies and fruits from what I see....and again Papa Johns does not count.
  • kbauman09
    kbauman09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary for the past few days---my advice would be to generally try to eat cleaner. Try to eat more food in it's more natural state rather than so much fast food. Good luck!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No idea but hope some one can help you. Really do keep the sodium down especially if you have high BP which I'm going to guess you do.. sorry. I did and husband does, that's what happens when over weight a lot of the time. I'm off both meds now.
  • kbauman09
    kbauman09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I second what MityMax96 said!
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Without knowing more about you....I am gonna go with some assumptions for now.....and we know what they say about assuming....
    But looking over a couple days from your diary::

1) To much processed and fast foods. Especially papa johns. STOP THIS. Prepare your meals the night before.
    2) Carbs and fats are high, and your protein is nothing for a guy your size
    3) Are you in the gym/exercising? If not, get to the weight room
    4) If you change up 1 and 2, then your carbs should be coming from better sources (swt potatoes, oatmeal, rice), your protein should also be coming from better sources.
    5) Your calories are extremely low for a guy your size (based on pics and if your diary is accurate), not to mention I personally think the make up of the calories you are getting, are extremely bad
    6) No veggies and fruits from what I see....and again Papa Johns does not count.

Great advice!
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    I'm a male turning 44 later this month. I'm currently ~229lbs wanting to get to ~175lbs. and I'm 5'8"

I do weigh EVERYTHING and use grams when possible; not sure if I'm just being anal but I feel that I can be a little more exact when I use grams vs. ounces....
  • mockchoc
    Options
    I'm a male turning 44 later this month. I'm currently ~229lbs wanting to get to ~175lbs.

I do weigh EVERYTHING and use grams when possible; not sure if I'm just being anal but I feel that I can be a little more exact when I use grams vs. ounces....

Very true. I've seen the "experts" on here say it's better to use metric. I do but I'm from Australia anyway.
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    I've been running for exercise and have been trying to get some weight training in but haven't been too successful on getting the weights in yet... :ohwell:
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    Thanks so far for the tips. The one thing that was pointed out that I've been slipping back to is the fast foods vs. making more meals at home. I'll work on it this weekend to start getting back into the habit of premaking meals at home.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I agree with Max but I will add this...

If you are not losing the simple explanation is you are not CONSISTENTLY in a calorie deficit. Something in your diet is not being accounted for correctly. While the high sodium can make you retain water, and all the other things need to be monitored, those things are not going to keep you from losing weight in and of themselves.

Get your calories correct. If you are truly in a deficit you will lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been running for exercise and have been trying to get some weight training in but haven't been too successful on getting the weights in yet... :ohwell:

do you log all your exercise? are you set to lose 2lb per week? if you are accurate in all your measuring then try changing your calorie goal to lose 1lb per week.

make sure you drink a tonne of water to counter act all the sodium that'll be in the fast food you're eating.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I'm a male turning 44 later this month. I'm currently ~229lbs wanting to get to ~175lbs. and I'm 5'8"

You should be hitting 200 gr of protein/day. And from good foods. Meat, Fish, Chicken, by a whey protein powder also if you need it.

It is nice you weigh everything....but if you are ingesting crap......then well.....it doesn't matter. Garbage in -> Garbage Out.

Get some whole foods in your system.....ADD IN VEGGIES!!!!!!!
  • MityMax96
    Options

More weights, less running.

You are a big guy, put some of that size to use brother.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    FYI:
    Grams convert to calories in this way
    Carbs:: 1 gr == 4 cal
    Protein:: 1gr == 4 cal
    Fats:: 1gr == 9 cal.
  • ken_hogan
    Options

More weights, less running.

You are a big guy, put some of that size to use brother.

Thanks for all your advice MightyMax and everyone else!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Welcome dude.

Give it 2 months, hitting your diet hard, hitting some weights, and I bet you will like the results.
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Bump