low fat soups

Options
Hi All. anyone know any good soups to include chicken with any of the following: sweet potatoes, swede, parsnips,and all hte usual veg? I prefer a chunky soup to a smooth. cant have normal potatoes though.

Replies

• thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The awesome thing about soups is that you can just add whatever you want into them! Think about the flavours you like and go from there. If I was trying to incorporate the vegetables you have mentioned, I'd chop up the sweet potatoes, swede, and parsnip into 1 inch pieces, and roast them for about 30 minutes or until soft. While roasting I'd soften some onion and garlic in a saucepan (because everything is better with onion and garlic) and maybe some carrots and celery for bulk. Throw in a couple of cups of chicken stock or water, some herbs and spices (cumin goes really well with sweet potato, but also think about oregano, basil, parsley, paprika - totally depends on your tastes!), and then dump in the roasted veg and some precooked chicken. Simmer to let the flavours combine. You might want to also pop in some sort of legumes (chick peas, lentils, etc) or some tinned tomatoes. Just experiment and see what you like! :) Hope this helps!

Sidenote: One of my favourite smooth soups is sweet potato and carrot, roasted, then pureed with onion and garlic and cumin and greek yoghurt (and stock/water of course). So simple and so nice.
  • carolnotts
    carolnotts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I made sweet potato and butternut squash soup last week it was lovely you can add chicken to that, i did it in my slow cooker.

4 medium sweet potatoes skinned and diced
    1 medium butternut squash peeled de-seeded and diced
    i filled my slow cooker half full and added to reduced salt vegetable stock cubes (some people like just one depends on your taste)
    once it was cooked put it in my blender then a little cream to serve on top and salt and pepper if you want to add it i don't though.
    you can either add the chicken before or after you blend it

hope this is some help :)
  • onefitsurvivor
    onefitsurvivor Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • ThatFrazzledMum
    Options
    Miso Chicken and Rice Soup (serves 2):

Ingredients:

500ml chicken stock
    2 skinless chicken breasts
    50g long grain rice
    8 Chanteney carrots, halved lengthways
    2 tbsp miso paste
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp mirin
    2 spring onions, sliced

Method:

Bring the stock to a gentle boil in a medium saucepan.
    Add the chicken breasts and simmer for 8 mins until cooked through.
    Remove from the pan and shred the meat.
    Add the rice and carrots to the hot stock.
    Bring back up to the boil, cover with a lid, then reduce the heat and cook for 10 mins until the rice is cooked and the carrots are tender.
    Return the chicken to the pan and add the miso, soy and mirin.
    Scatter over the spring onions just before serving.

Nutrition per serving:

274 kcalories; 40g protein; 21g carbs; 2g fat; 1g saturates; 4g fibre; 10g sugar; 3.1g salt.
  • turners999
    Options
    ooooooh now they sound good. Thanks!