Struggling with sugar intake

Options
Hi, I began using this website yesterday with my mum and family friend. I added in yesterdays food and I was under my calorie target and I put in todays as well as a sort of plan. I set my calorie target as 1400 a day, both days are under but my sugar is way off target. I was given a target of 24g of sugar its telling me for today I would be 80g over! This is from orange juice, a yoghurt and fruit. Has anyone got any ideas to bring down sugar intake?

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Disregard it unless you have an underlying medical condition. MFP doesn't differentiate between processed sugars and sugars from fruits, etc. You can either ignore it or increase your goal by going to My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom. :smile:
  • boofburrows
    Options
    I'm the same, my breakfast alone today has sent me almost double my sugar for today. but its all from fruit and a little from honey...
  • amsheehan1
    amsheehan1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been told by my nutritionist that your body does not distinguish between the sugar in fruit and the sugar in food so I'd say cut out the orange juice and for those of you eating loads of fruit cut it down. She has advised me that we should be eating way more than 5 portions of 'fruit n veg' a day but the veg should far outweigh the fruit, one or two pieces of fruit a day is more than enough unless you're running & need the instant sugar boost.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables have a lot of fiber, so their sugar is absorbed more slowly, and won't cause the blood sugar spike that happens from sweeteners. Even if your juice is fresh and made from 100% fruit, the fiber is gone, and that removes some of the goodness!

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but make sure to watch out for sugar in processed foods! (Check the ingredients list~) Yogurt can be sneaky with their added sweeteners, especially in low-fat varieties.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'm over my daily sugar limit every single day, usually my morning coffee takes care of it. I ignore it personally as most of the sugar I am taking in is from fruit.
  • nicolewc
    nicolewc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great to hear a nutritionist's take on this. I'm also always over on sugar intake. Haven't worried because I have no underlying conditions, and most is from fruit. But I do watch it. Thanks for sharing this.
  • Becca_Jade
    Becca_Jade Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone thank you for responding to the thread, I've decided to keep eating fruit but cut out the orange juice and eat more veg thank you for your help :)
  • tntgal2
    Options
    If you think about how we evolved, having juice for most people was impossible - gathering all that fruit and then squeezing it to extract only the juice. Your body doesn't distinguish between sources of sugar in its metabolic response, and sugars can make you feel hungry sooner, and put a load onto the insulin response by your pancreas. You might want to look for ways to wean yourself to healthier, lower sugar choices. Berries (blueberries, for instance) are high in anti oxidants and low in sugar. Low sodium tomato juice has much less sugar than OJ. consider replacing the juice with a fruit flavored sparkling water, and use the calories from the juice to have an extra few cups of veggies - they'll help keep you full and add fiber the juice lacks.