Eating my exersize calories

Options
BeDawn
BeDawn Posts: 56 Member
I tried an experiment this week. I went 3 days NOT eating my exersize calories, actually I wasn't eating all of my base calories either. Then for three days I ate every last calorie. The first three days I lost 1 lb, on about 850 net calories a day, and the second three days I lost 2.4 lbs on 1200 net calories a day. My workout was the same all 6 days. Is this a coincidence?
I am new to nutrition and exersize, but I am reading everything I can here to get this 'weight loss' thing figured out. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It is true that you have to eat to lose. So many don't think it makes sense but once you get the fat fire a burning with the right amount of food. you have to keep it fuled to keep it burring.
  • Irishaingeal
    Options
    It is always important to eat your base calories, because your body will go into starvation mode if you don't. However eating your exercise calories is more of a what works for you. I know my best friend has to eat hers where I barely ever do. I just can't eat that much food. Though I try to always eat my base calories, of course some days I fall short of eating them all but I am within 50 calories. It is really just a finding what works for you. And it seems eating both really works for you. Grats on the weight lose.

Keep up the great work.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    Most people have to eat their exercise calories in order to lose weight, me on the other hand, can barely dip into them. Once I start eating my exercise calories I stop losing weight :-( Do what works for you!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    3 days on each isnt conclusive, what you dont eat today may not show for a few days. (and vice versa) I'm losing consistently and am not eating my recommended levels...i've been ill and had no appetite and no point eating if youre not hungry.

Try 2 weeks on each and see how it goes. (actually don't, just stick with what is working best for you) My guess is that it would reverse but the faster the weight loss the more likely it is to go back on so a case of swings and roundabouts I guess.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the camp of not really needing to eat my exercise calories. My X Factor seems to be water. Whenever I stop drinking enough water, the I start retaining, so it's all about making sure I keep hydrated. Diet isn't an exact science, so just experiment. If something doesn't work, don't worry, just adjust and fine tune until you find what works for you!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have to eat to lose. I eat almost all my exercise calories (I try to stay within 100 calories of my goal) and I have lost very consistently. And the more I exercise the more I need those calories to keep losing. The only time my weight loss has stalled is when I thought I knew more than MFP and didn't eat what was recommended. That said, I enter all my bike riding and walking as moderate so that I'm not over estimating my exercise calories. Some people only eat back half their exercise calories. But if I had a HRM I would eat back all my exercise calories. Good luck on your journey I hope you find a way that works for you.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Most people have to eat their exercise calories in order to lose weight, me on the other hand, can barely dip into them. Once I start eating my exercise calories I stop losing weight :-( Do what works for you!
    I'm right there with ya! :( (which sucks, b/c I love food!)
  • BeDawn
    BeDawn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I think I will eat all of my exersize calories for two weeks, and see how it goes. I will also be sure to drink more water.
    I am going from completely sedentary,(only leaving the house when necessary) to exersizing 6 days a week and occasionally walking the dog. (His usual exersize is indoor fetch.) I am changing a lot at one time, but I cannot help it. I am fed up with my current state. No pun intended....
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    It's not just whether you're losing weight, it's how you feel while you're losing weight. Do you feel energetic, alert, healthy, and in top notch form? If not, you may not be eating enough.
  • blacknight7748
    Options
    I'm in the exact same situation. I eat about 900-700 calories from my net of 1350 but cant eat more cause thats still alot of food for me but after dinner about an hour later ill go on a 3-4 miles run and burn about 500-700 calories sometimes breaking even and being back to 1350 needed again but i don't eat them. But ohh do i drink water..well water with crystal light peach tea or fruit punch in there.. i cant drink plain water since i was a kid. Maybe i'd be losing weight faster if i was eating more but i dont want to eat a meat or anything after the run.. my goal is to get my body into burning the food off when i run before bed so should I eat more calories in the day to make up for what i know ill lose?