I'm ready to get rid of this weight!

Options
Hey Everyone....

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a 34 year old woman who is at her highest weight ever. I was on track losing weight, and then tragedy struck, and my Dad suddenly passed away of a heart attack at just 59 years old. I turned to my old friends, smoking and eating. Then my brain went, D'OH, you shouldn't be smoking, hello?? (I just wish my brain said the same thing about eating!) I quit smoking 1 1/2 years ago, and packed on 50+ pounds. For the last couple of months, I have been lurking on this site, and just kept coming up with excuses for not starting. Well, excuses are done. For the last two days I have been putting in all the food I eat, as well as the drinks. I have to do something. I can't stand the way I look, and am embarrassed to go anywhere. The beach this year was awful. Instead of playing in the ocean with my son, I sat on the beach covered up. Too ashamed to take my cover up off and go into the water for fear of ridicule.

I am ready to get healthy, and throw away this weight!

Replies

• hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Good luck :)
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! :drinker:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! now you've made the decision its time to take action - tracking everything you're eating is a great start, wishing you every success on your journey.

Ruth
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just make small changes to start, smaller portions, more fruit and veg. Drink plenty of water as it does make a difference. Exercise - I started walking at the beginning of the year and 2.7 miles used to take me an hour to walk, it now takes me 40 minutes so I know I am getting fitter.

Don't be discourage because the scales don't move, if you are eating healthier and exercising you are getting fitter and in the long-run that is more important.

Take your measurements from all over and write them down then once a month take them again to see your progress.

Log bad days too so you know how many calories you've gone over, don't beat yourself up about it just be like Scarlett O'Hara (Gone with the Wind) "Tomorrow is another day". Start fresh and keep an eye on what you eat - you are allowed treats just in moderation!

My loss has been slow and steady but I feel so much healthier and a lot more confident than I used to.

You know you can do it, you've made a start so don't look back just look ahead to next summer on the beach :smile:

Good luck x
  • Axioml
    Options
    Go for it!!!!!

44738914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    You are ready!:drinker:

Logging works - even the bad days or meals!

If you need friends for support, feel free to add me.
  • DawnW3218
    DawnW3218 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!

I too am finally in the right frame of mind to lose weight that has crept on over time and stick to it eating sensibly, so if you'd like to 'friend' me we can encourage each other along the way :flowerforyou:
  • Jenvincent2015
    Jenvincent2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support! I am going to go home today and take measurements! I am feeling so confident, and after reading some of the blog posts here, I am feeling inspired! Wooohooooo :bigsmile:
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well done for starting on your journey & for stopping smoking !!
    I can really relate to your comments about feeling self conscious on the beach . Last year on holiday in Spain my cousin & I ( who is the same size as me ) felt we kept being stared at & talked about by the locals - especially the men ! We felt as if we had 2 heads or something & we weren't the biggest around ( UK size 22) but felt very self conscious . I later found out it was a cultural thing especially for the men !!! Next year we have both vowed to eat healthily & get active & get into a bikini ( GULP!! ) feel free to add me for mutual support !! Good luck .
  • ChellebyGirl
    Options
    Very best of luck to you. I was very much in a similar boat as you, found out about MFP, registered and then left it for 2 years. I've been logging on for the past few weeks now and I cannot tell you the difference it has made to my weight loss. It's so much easier when you have people to turn to that are all here for pretty much the same reason.

Please don't ever let anyone make you feel bad and don't worry about what people think of you - they don't know you, your journey or anything about you. You've made a very big and important decision by embarking on your weight loss journey and I wish you every success.

The biggest tip I can offer, and it's one I've had to learn myself, is you will have bad days where you eat something you know you shouldn't have, but tomorrow is a new day - pick up and start afresh, don't give up.

Good luck :O)
  • ilovecakes
    ilovecakes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! maybe we can support each other, Ive just started back and hoping to make some changes to my life... and start having a proper healthy life.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Start now and take one day at a time!
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    good luck- best wishes for your journey!
  • rockstar53
    rockstar53 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! I too lost my Dad a couple of years ago, followed by a very close friend. I turned to food and put on the pounds. I have been on here for about a month now. Losing very slowly but changing how I eat and exercising daily. I just want to be healthy and feel good about myself. I'm in it for the long haul. Love to have a friend on here to work through this journey with.
  • priscillab59
    priscillab59 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started. I, too, had gained a lot of weight when my dad passed away. I just recently lost my mom and vowed I would not overeat to help with my grief. I did gain some weight but nothing like when my dad passed. However, I am still about 30 lbs from where I want to be. I have just started back on MFP and it has helped me tremendously! I find it is "easier" than other plans I have been on. It really helps me stay on track without feeling deprived. Good luck with your weight loss and we can all do this together!
  • Jenvincent2015
    Jenvincent2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I truly am humbled by the posts that you all have left. *tear. Thank you all for the well wishes, and for the private messages.

I was just going through some of the recipes that have been posted. wow! I never knew there was so many delicious things out there! That could be be good for me AND taste good! Thank you Everyone!!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    FR sent.