Potassium and Iron

Options
I'm finding it really hard to hit the levels of Potassium, Iron and Calcium for that matter,

Any easy fix to up there nutrients?

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Not exactly an intuitive website
    but you can search for foods by nutrient

http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search

Otherwise just google foods highest in X.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    most of the foods on the database don't have inputted levels of those nutrients, i.e. if you're logging on here you're probably getting more of those than you think

if you stick to using the entries that don't have a * next to them, the ones with * are added by users. the ones that don't have * are more accurate and have more info, and should have the values of those nutrients entered in
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    foods high in these...

potassium - fresh fruits and veg

iron -red meat and green vegetables (especially dark green)

calcium - dairy, green vegetables

there's more than these but it's a starting point. vegan websites have lists of non-animal sources of iron and calcium, which IMO is useful information whether you eat meat/dairy or not, because it's a good idea to eat a wide variety of different foods, including lots of different plant foods.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    most of the foods on the database don't have inputted levels of those nutrients, i.e. if you're logging on here you're probably getting more of those than you think

if you stick to using the entries that don't have a * next to them, the ones with * are added by users. the ones that don't have * are more accurate and have more info, and should have the values of those nutrients entered in

Good to know; I've been stressing about the potassium and iron levels, too.

As a result of my concern over it, I began taking a multivitamin about 4 to 5 days a week, and have purchased a salt substitute because it's a source of potassium. It's not a great substitute, so I mainly add some while cooking rather than as a salt for the table. Thx for the info.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    A few things that helped me:

V8 is low calorie and high in potassium. Go with the low sodium version.
    Potatoes have tons of calcium!
    Fake salt (potassium chloride), used in place of salt will help with the sodium issues and the potassium issues.

Iron is all about green leafy vegetables and red meat. I did notice that, when I was eating Multigrain Cheerios, it has a healthy serving of iron in it.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Potassium= coconut water
  • nessayessa
    nessayessa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One cup of corn chex has 50% of my daily recommendation of iron. Its a good start!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Potassium - milk, potatoes, orange juice, canned tomatoes (choose the low-sodium variety)

Calcium - milk (that's all I got, I don't usually pay attention to this one)

Iron - greens, red meat
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it really hard to hit the levels of Potassium, Iron and Calcium for that matter,

Any easy fix to up there nutrients?
    Are you a vegetarian? It shouldn't be difficult to meet your iron levels if you eat meat.

Eat dairy to get your calcium. Two to three servings of yogurt, cheese, milk, whatever will get you there.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm no help but bump for the info!
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ideas:
    Orange juice fortified w/ Calcium & Vitamin D.
    Cheese for calcium.
    Yoghurt for both Calcium & Potassium. Look for brands that actually list the Potassium, some do, some don't.
    Fresh Fruits & veggies for Potassium.
    V8 (Low Sodium type) is great for Potassium.
    For a potassium boost there is a salt substitute call Nu-Salt, which is Potassium Chloride vs Sodium Chloride.
    Lastly (believe it or not) for snacking potato chips actually contain a decent amount of potassium and gelato contains both calcium and potassium. We were shopping last night & as we put our reduced fat potato chips & italian gelato in the cart I told my wife how I'm going to write a book on how I lost 75 lbs eating potato chips & gelato, lol!