Sugar Cravings/Addictions

Options
I have a terrible craving for all things sugar. Is there a supplement or a food that will help me control the irresistible urge to eat sugar? Can anyone help me with this?

Replies

• flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I'm in the same boat. It's killing me!
  • Jit7
    Jit7 Posts: 75
    Options
    I was the same (well still have quite a sweet tooth) but the thing that worked for me was to increase the amount of protein in my diet. I actually started putting proteins like eggs, chicken, fish, lentils in to every meal and it curbed my cravings. I hope this works for you too
  • JoshuaDeVera
    Options
    try listening to beta waves for concentration and restoration
  • JoshuaDeVera
    Options
    try brushing your teeth with children tooth paste it taste sweet
  • phb49783
    Options
    I will definitely try this, someone else told me that protein is a natural appetite suppressant so I'm going to try this first! Thank you and I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

8QmIp.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

8QmIp.gif

I read it and decided to ignore it the first time around. I simply could not handle it.
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    Look into l-glutamine. I took it for alcohol cravings, which some doctors think is actually a sugar craving. It's been studied for sugar cravings and supposedly works, though I don't have a sweet tooth so I don't know..
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

8QmIp.gif

Priceless! :laugh: :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I increased my protein and quit eating sugar altogether except on special occasions, and my sugar cravings have disappeared. I also eat foods with no sugar added (not sugar free, because that usually means sorbitol or some other substitute has been added).
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I always crave sugar after dinner or a big meal. Id usually scoff handfuls of lollies or cake.

Now I have 1 or 2 pieces of dark chocolate. Its just sweet enough and the bitterness stops me from wanting more sweet stuff - with the bonus of antioxidants. Sometimes I have yoghurt and berries.
    If you want icecream, just freeze a few bananas and then wiz em up in a food processor or blender - quick and healthy icecream alternative!
    Hot chocolate does the trick too.

All the best!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    If you honestly have an addiction, do what all other successfully recovered addicts do. Remove the offending substance/activity/behavior from your life.
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    When people ask this I like to say, read this article out of the National Geographic. Someone actually took the time to research why we can't resist sugar.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/featurehub

Craving sugar is part of our nature and is found in most of the food you eat. The choice is yours on where you get your sugar source from. You can eat sugary foods that have high fructose corn syrup in them which makes you crave them more or you can eat fruits that are healthy for you and the sugar is natural. It's also better if you choose foods that are made with real sugar (or sugar cane) rather than high fructose corn syrup. Some people who put sugar in there beverages replace the sugar with Stevia.

My suggestion to you is carry gum with you, buy individually wrapped dark chocolate pieces (and savor a piece or two from time to time), or try eating a piece of fruit when you want something sweet. Sugar is a hard thing to scale back on, but it really comes down to how you eat it. If you get it from the right sources, you won't crave it unless you need it.
  • Kitpurr
    Kitpurr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means but these have helped me:
    Chew a bit of a cinnamon quill(the real stuff not cassia bark which is passed off as cinnamon quite often).
    Ginger tea without added sugar.
    licorice root tea

You could be having blood sugar highs and lows which is why you are craving sugar - your body gets alarmed when it drops and demands you eat foods it knows will get your sugar up. Hence the craving for sugar. Solution: keep it steadier by eating more protein and fat and less carbs.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    When people ask this I like to say, read this article out of the National Geographic. Someone actually took the time to research why we can't resist sugar.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/featurehub

Craving sugar is part of our nature and is found in most of the food you eat. The choice is yours on where you get your sugar source from. You can eat sugary foods that have high fructose corn syrup in them which makes you crave them more or you can eat fruits that are healthy for you and the sugar is natural. It's also better if you choose foods that are made with real sugar (or sugar cane) rather than high fructose corn syrup. Some people who put sugar in there beverages replace the sugar with Stevia.

My suggestion to you is carry gum with you, buy individually wrapped dark chocolate pieces (and savor a piece or two from time to time), or try eating a piece of fruit when you want something sweet. Sugar is a hard thing to scale back on, but it really comes down to how you eat it. If you get it from the right sources, you won't crave it unless you need it.

bump... will check that article out!
  • ricki011
    ricki011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    exercise more; it keeps your mind off of it. Walk, walk, walk,. thats what i do.
    also, eat a sweet dessert you crave on thursdays. (after you exercise, walk, or do a Richard Simmons dvd) If i eat sweet cravings on weekends, i tend to eat more!
    hope it helps.
    p.s. my kids do richard simmons exercise dvd's with me. he's crazy and fun; my kind of music.