Feeling sick while doing cardio?

Options
I tried finding an answer to this on Google, but I just couldn't find much information about my exact situation, so I'm wondering if you all can help me! Lately, I've had quite a few days where I start feeling queasy/sick when I'm doing cardio. I used to go to the gym and only did cardio on the treadmill or elliptical (30-40 min/day) and then a lot of strength training, but now I'm doing one of Fitness Blender's 8-week programs at home, and I can't always get through some of the intense cardio because I start feeling sick. A couple times I thought I was about to throw up, but I didn't. It usually goes away once I start doing strength training or after my workout, but I'm just really confused on why it's been happening so often.

Could it be from any of these factors? 1. Not ready for such intense cardio 2. Not drinking enough water 3. My diet has changed to eating only "real" food, and am not eating as much.

Thanks for your help guys!

Replies

• ohmyjiggle
    ohmyjiggle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I tried finding an answer to this on Google, but I just couldn't find much information about my exact situation, so I'm wondering if you all can help me! Lately, I've had quite a few days where I start feeling queasy/sick when I'm doing cardio. I used to go to the gym and only did cardio on the treadmill or elliptical (30-40 min/day) and then a lot of strength training, but now I'm doing one of Fitness Blender's 8-week programs at home, and I can't always get through some of the intense cardio because I start feeling sick. A couple times I thought I was about to throw up, but I didn't. It usually goes away once I start doing strength training or after my workout, but I'm just really confused on why it's been happening so often.

Could it be from any of these factors? 1. Not ready for such intense cardio 2. Not drinking enough water 3. My diet has changed to eating only "real" food, and am not eating as much.

Thanks for your help guys!

I have started and stopped working out for this same reason, I would literally be sick. After I forced myself to exerciseI would be like out of it, dizzy and nauseated.

This week I tried again, Except I don't think I was eating enough, and wasn't drinking much water.

THIS HELPED ME SO MUCH. It kind of a no brainer because you need to fuel your body.

But I ate an hour before I work out, and drink water.

Try it :)
  • ajsquale
    ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • FitSmith2
    FitSmith2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I frequently have this issue, especially when starting with a new cardio program that I'm not used to. The queasy feeling is actually my first sign that I might faint, and so I'd recommend taking it seriously. However, don't let it stop you! Just know your body is a little bit on overload, your heart rate might be getting a bit too high and you need to take it down a notch. Once you start feeling normal again, try to keep up as much as you can. Over the course of your exercises, your body should get used to what you're working on, and the feeling will taper significantly.
    One of the biggest helpers that I've come across for this problem is getting a heart rate monitor. Once you know how your body acts and what your "good" heart rate zone is, you'll easily be able to tell that your heart rate is edging up a bit too high before you even reach the point of feeling sick.
  • ajsquale
    ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I think I will look into getting a heart rate monitor. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. Thanks!