Breakfast

Options
Breakfast has always been my downfall. I never seem to find the time to eat breakfast. Then by 11 my head is spinning, and I am starving. By lunch time, I end up eating a big unhealthy lunch.

Today - I am trying to eat a yogurt at my desk, but of course, I didn't even get to that until just now. (10am)

Any suggestions on what to have for breakfast that I can make quickly? I am up and out of the house very early and then I have a 45 minute commute to work.

Suggestions??

Thanks!!

Replies

• ktc1968
    ktc1968 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of an egg white sandwich, microwave the whites and stick it on toast, you can drive and eat
  • Katefra
    Katefra Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I also get up early and drive for 45 minutes to work. I get up at 4:00 to fix lunches etc...At 5:30 if it's not too dark out, I walk for 45 minutes. By then, I'm usually pretty hungry but in a hurry to get out the door for my commute to work. If you like cereal, that is a quick breakfast or instant oatmeal. I also keep peanut butter in my desk drawer and sometimes just grab an apple from home and eat sliced apple with peanut butter, quick, easy and filling! Often on Sundays I will make a big batch of omelettes or breakfast casserole so all I have to do is zap it in the mircrowave, so easy and quick. If you could maybe get up 15 minutes earlier to make time for breakfast?
  • KoRnKraZy
    KoRnKraZy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie the night before and chuck it in the fridge so it is cold and waiting for me when I wake up.

I put in a banana, pear, spinach, blueberries and almond milk.

It fulls me up for hours :)
  • jjeddy
    jjeddy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Llow cal wheat bread & peanut butter. My go to breakfast for harried mornings.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I try not to skip breakfast even when I'm not hungry. With that said, sometimes when you are not hungry, you don't want to eat a lot.
    At these times, I might eat nothing more than a piece of fruit. A banana is easy to take with you. Or a small handful of nuts and a small piece of cheese. String cheese and a snack bag of nuts can be thrown in the car too. Granola bars are easy also. A lot of people like Lara bars. Or a piece of toast with butter or peanut butter. Or one of my favorite ways to eat toast is with a slice of tomato and cheese melted on top from the toaster oven. This is fast and can be carefully eaten in the car. Although, I tend to nibble on breakfast while I'm putting make up on or doing my hair. Just a few bites here and there.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Keep meal replacements in your car (Clif, Quest or Lara Bars for example). Try to store them where you can see them so you don't forget they are there. This way you can have breakfast while you commute. Alternatively, you could also keep something like that at work and leave it on your desk or chair when you leave the day before, this way you have a visual reminder that you need to eat.
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I also eat while making a hour commute to work.

pb toast
    protein / power bars
    smoothies
    pop tarts
    anything in a wrap - from eggs to chicken to tuna to steak.

don't limit yourself to just traditional "breakfast" foods. I will eat left overs from dinner.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sandwich. I tried eating cotton candy for breakfast, but this happened:

95joZ0k.gif
  • montgum
    montgum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Frozen waffles can put peanut butter on them or eat with some yogurt and fresh fruit. I also bought a small blender at Walmart I think it is Hamilton Beach I use it to make smoothies with 1/2 c yogurt and frozen or fresh fruit and a little skim milk. The blender has a too go cup so it is easy and quick. Also the Kelloggs Breakfast sandwich is good.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of an egg white sandwich, microwave the whites and stick it on toast, you can drive and eat

Ditto on the portable breakfast. I used to have a long commute and I would always eat on the road. I would eat the whole egg though, that's where all of the nutrition is:

Toast an English muffin (140 calories)
    One egg (70 calories)
    Cheese (A Laughing Cow Light wedge for example: 35 calories)

'For about 240 calories, you have a good breakfast that will keep you full with its combo of whole grains, protein and fat.

Other quick ideas to eat on the road:
    keep peeled hard boiled eggs in the fridge
    celery sticks and peanut butter (fill sticks the night before)
    toast and peanut butter (or any nut butter you like)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I have a huge breakfast and it only takes about 2 min.

2 eggs in microwave
    2 slices ham
    1 slice swiss
    on a multigrain english muffin
    almond milk, peanut butter, plain greek yogurt, chocolate protein shake

and there you have a filling, fast, 800 and change calorie breakfast
  • RenshiG
    RenshiG Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a protein shake? I have added a protein shake in the am because I used to not eat until 9:00-9:30 (after I got to work) and I felt I needed a change. So sort of similar to you...

I make mine fresh with a banana (you can also through in some frozen berries, peanut butter or so), some milk etc right after my shower (takes 5 min with cleaning etc) and sip it up while I get ready (make up etc.), finishing it off by the time I leave.

If you feel like you do not have time for that maybe get a few ~300 kcal RTD shakes to try. Just make sure they have a good portion of protein balanced with carbs and you can grab it on your way out and drink it on your way to the office.

8309948.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast! This morning I am having oatmeal with flax seed and peach and coconut milk, and a latte with foamed fat free milk (I'd rather use the higher fat milk, but the nonfat foams really well).

I would suggest making some kind of breakfast burrito and maybe freezing. That way, you can pop in the microwave as you're getting ready for work and then take it with you when you go.

I'd put some really healthy stuff in the burrito, such as egg, maybe some precooked turkey sausage, or any other stuff you like. I love the whole wheat burrito tortillas, but they are not for everyone.
  • ivormorgan
    Options
    Microwave porridge - 2 mins
    2 slices wheat germ toast and spread - 2 mins (while porridge is getting zapped)
    50 gms strawberries, 50 gms grapes, 2 tablespoons zero fat yogurt - 2 mins (while toast is burning and porridge is getting zapped)
    Diluted juice of 1/2 lemon - 30 secs
    Coffee (filtering while I'm prepping fruit)
    Takes me about 3 mins to prepare and 15 mins to eat and comes in about 350 cals.
  • Jenvincent2015
    Jenvincent2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Our house is pretty crazy in the morning...I have a 12 year old who is slower than molasses! LOL (aren't all 12 year old kids before school!?) So I am thinking if I put some stuff in the fridge that I can just grab, that should help. *fingers crossed.

Thanks Everyone!!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    overnight oats could be your friend. They are very filling and you can eat them at your desk quickly.