Best Carb/Proten/Fat percentages for weight loss

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with figuring out what the best percentages of daily calories for carbs/protein and fat are for weight loss.
I have heard some people use 40% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fats? Or some people have 30% carbs. I was looking for some help is customizing MFP goals and was looking for some input!

Thanks so much!

Sonia

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I changed mine to be 50% carbs/25% protein/25% fat. I ate my allotted cals as well as my workout cals and lost 1 lb/week. Just keep in mind that everyone's body is different and that someone else's % breakdown might not work for you. It can however give you a good starting point to work with, but you may have to tweak the % until you find the combo that works best for you. Word of wisdom: if you make a change, give it 1-2 weeks to take affect and show any signs of working/not working before making more changes, because your body could be slow to react. Hope this helps!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your own body. What works for one person doesn't work for another. I changed mine to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat and have been doing very well, but I also lost weight easily on 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat.

I would suggest you pick one, try it out for a few weeks and see how it goes. In the end, I think most people can lose weight on almost any reasonable diet - as long as you are getting your calories for high quality sources - so as little processed food as possible! Stick with veggies/fruit/lean protein/nuts/seeds/legumes/low-fat dairy. In addition, watch your sodium (which will usually be okay if you're avoiding processed foods) and drink plenty of water!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I do better on fat a little higher than I was told and a little less protein (since I could never meet that goal anyway and was still losing weight) so I'm set at 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'm also at 50/25/25. I love my carbs:) More than 25% protein is a struggle for me...and eating more protein after I work out is even harder.

Just start with something, stick with it for a month and see how it plays out!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Mine is 35 carbs 35 protein 30 fats.

I bet you're really confused now..... :noway:

I dont really know why I have it balanced like that only that I want to eat more protein and less carbs so it seems like a balanced balance!! :laugh:

oh! And its very rare for me to feel hungry, which I equate to the higher protein, higher (good) fats and lower carbs, so I'm very happy on it :bigsmile:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • sonia2003
    sonia2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for you input and for sharing your percentages! I think I will play around with the numbers and see what works best. I personally find it hard to meet my protein goals as well, so I will see what works best for me. I just needed some ideas of where to start and will play around all the numbers to see what my body responds best to!

I was trying Atkins style low carb for a few weeks and it works well, but I dont know if I can eat this much protein!

Thanks everyone!! :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I take a slightly different spin on the "everybody's different" tack. I say it doesn't matter if you stay within reasonable amounts. I.E. you could be at 45/30/25 or 5025/25 or 55/25/20 and have almost identical results as long as you do a few things.

1) Stay within the correct total caloric allotment (deficit)
    2) Make sure you receive the correct amount of vitamins and minerals as well as calories
    3) eat high quality foods that are low on the processing, and moderate amounts of the "bads" (bad fats, bad cholesterol, bad carbs...etc)

There are specific people that need to adjust ratios, like people trying to gain muscle mass, people who are pregnant, people over the age of 55, people who have certain diseases or other medical problems (allergies, defects...etc). But other than that, I'm not convinced that a 5% change in carbs and protein will do you any good. Knowing the body, and how it processed energy, there's really no reason why it would make much difference as far as I'm concerned, not unless the swing is significant.
  • sonia2003
    sonia2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    HI,

Thanks for your input. I used to eat quite a lot of carbs and not too much protein. I tried using some of Atkins research and I'm not doing the exact Atkins diet but I have tried to experiment and limit my carbs and up my protein. I definitely see and feel a difference in doing this but I know I cant keep at that low amt of carbs for long term. I want a good healthy balance and I was struggling with what that balance is, so I was looking for input. Im at my last 10 pounds so I want to build some muscle, tone up, lose that last 10 and be in the best shape I can be and do something I can maintain. I can eat the right amt of cals, but I want to add more protein in my diet and eat a balanced amt of carbs instead of mostly carbs.

Thanks everyone!
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    You can try the 40-40-30 rate if you are Yogi Berra... ;)

Otherwise you are right on 40% protein (if you are working out), 40% carbs and 20% from fat, is exactly what I shoot for. The real reason we burn fat is because of the calorie deficit which you can get with any split. I feel 40-40-20 is best because you get what you need. Also protein burns more calories just by it's thermic effect (TEF)
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Very good question.
    I find I do better with more protein, but have a very hard time meeting the daily allotment.
    I just checked my goals and mine are listed in grams, 182 /44/50 ??? so I dont even know how those correlate into pecentages?
    Guess I should have paid more attention in math class......
  • jquintinjr
    Options
    Macros shouldn't be your primary concern. Calories in<calories out. That's what it comes down too. As well as meal timing. It's ok to eat before bed as long as your at your allotted intake.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Very good question.
    I find I do better with more protein, but have a very hard time meeting the daily allotment.
    I just checked my goals and mine are listed in grams, 182 /44/50 ??? so I dont even know how those correlate into pecentages?
    Guess I should have paid more attention in math class......

MFP is defaulted at 55% carbs, 15% protein and 30% fat. To change this, go to My Home--> Goals --> Change Goals--> Custom. On that screen you'll see the percentages for carbs/protein/fat near the top on the left hand side. Make sure you save your changes when you're done. While you're in there, you should consider increasing your fiber goal - adults should be getting 25-35g/day, but MFP sets it quite low (less than 20).
  • messijesi
    Options
    I'm loosing about 2 lbs. a week eating 50% fat 20% protein & 30% carbs .. I eat a lot of healthy fat and a lot of green vegetables, I have also been gluten and dairy free for over a year. Despite this I was having trouble loosing weight. I started at 178 4 weeks ago and now weight 170. I feel good on a higher fat diet, usually good fats come with protein, a good example being raw fish and young coconuts. Generally a 50% fat (very high quality) diet will keep your cells lubricated, make your brain healthier, and your skin will shine, you will loose weight (women) without loosing as much weight from your breasts or your buttocks... never the less different fgor everyone.. WORTH TRYING THIS RATIO
    Good Luck
  • inspiredfitchick
    Options
    I totally agree with Russell. Most sports nutritionist will recommend 40/40/20. I am doing Jamie Eason's LIve Fit Trainer and that's the recommended ratio. You need to eat more protein if your goal is to build muscle which most women struggle with. Check it out on Bodybuilding.com It's free info. Russell is right about thermogenesis. All caloreis are not created equal. Our bodies have to work harder at breaking down protein so that creates heat in the body. Also known as themogenesis. Good luck!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I changed my macro's to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. To make it easier to get enough protein I have one protein shake after working out. I find it helps to feel full longer and it hopefully aids in building some muscle. I don't stress about the amounts of fat I eat but do try to have the focus on the more healthy unsaturated fats as found in fish and olive oil.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    There is no best, you just have to find what works for you. I eat 60/20/20 and that is even less carbs than when I was doing Crossfit and was putting on muscle (I ate 70/15/15). You don't need a lot of protein to put on muscle but people tend to like higher protein due to keeping themselves full. I don't eat meat so 60/20/20 as a guideline works well for me.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    For my guys and girls I prep, 50p/25c/25f.
  • MissEarlGrey
    Options
    I follow a modified 80/10/10 diet (80% carbs) and my body seems to do the best on this ratio. I always have loads of energy, a glowing complexion, thick, shiny hair, and an easy time losing and keeping weight off.
  • CurlySue8403
    Options
    If you want a more specific macro breakdown, I suggest checking out the website IIFYM.com They have some great calculators. Granted I don't agree completely with their approach, I still think you need to eat clean and healthy foods, but I love the calculators on there, you put your specific information in there and it gives you a great idea of what to use. I would recommend selecting the lowest fat option, you'll still get plenty of healthy fats, and it will keep your carbs a little higher. Everything I have read says that you NEED healthy fat in your diet, and most sources recommend at least 30% healthy fats (coconut oil, avocados, nut butters, things like that).

Personally, I tried the Atkins approach years ago and my doctors had nothing good to say about it. I felt horrible, and it wasn't a lifestyle I could keep up, so I gained that all back and then some once I started eating even healthy carbs again. Also, the prepackaged food they sell are full of artificial sweeteners, which actually make you crave sweets more, in addition to being really bad for you. I suggest reading a bit about them. Personally I avoid any artificial sweeteners, and if I need a sugar free sweetener I use Stevia in the Raw, because it is natural and safe. I started eating healthy and paying attention to whats actually in my food this year, and I've lost 26lbs almost exclusively from that and occasional workouts.

I think a balanced approach is best, keep your foods clean and not processed, fruits, veggies, and complex carbs like sweet potatoes and whole grain oats. I personally still have to watch my carbs, I'm very sensitive to them, but as long as they are complex carbs I do best with a fairly equal split. 35% Carbs/ 35% protein / and 30% Healthy fats. I'd love to see myself eating 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fats, but I just have not been able to get that much protein into my diet yet. I've read different opinions on the fats, it seems some resources feel that women need a slightly higher fat intake than men, but other's say it doesn't matter. There are tons of different takes on what the best macro split is and why, so don't take anyone's opinion as 100% golden rule.

I think the best approach to find what works for you is to pick a break down and try it for a few weeks and see how you feel, what you can actually get into your daily diet, and how your body responds, then adjust from there. Good luck!
  • brendastrickland1
    Options
    Your carbs should be 50% of your calorie intake for your day. Hope this helps. I struggled with this end of things to. Good luck!