Pita Bread!

Options
SuperSexyDork
SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
This is a yummy and fun recipe. My daughter really enjoyed helping make it and loved eating it.

Ingredients

1 package yeast or rapid rise yeast (rapid rise will cut rise time by 2 hours or so)
1/2 cup hot water
1 tsp honey (7g)
3 cups all-purpose flour (360g) + more for dusting
2 tsp salt
approximately 1 cup warm water
Olive oil cooking spray

Directions

-In liquid measuring cup, measure out 1/2 cup hot water. Add 1 tsp honey and stir until dissolved.

-Add packet of yeast, stir until dissolved. Let sit 10-15 minutes until water is frothy.

-In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a large depression in the center.

-Add yeast/water mixture to the depression and stir.

-Add in the 1 cup water a little at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula (you may not need to use all of it, I only ended up using 3/4 of a cup) until all of the flour mixture is moist and dough is slightly sticky.

-Dust a clean hard surface (counter or table) and your hands with flour, and turn dough out onto it. Knead dough until it is elastic and smooth and no longer sticky. (approx. 10-15 minutes). Do not over-knead.

-Spray a large bowl with cooking spray, add the dough to the bowl and spray the top with cooking spray as well.

-Cover dough with a cloth and place in a warm place to rise for about 3 hours with regular yeast or 1 hour with rapid rise yeast. Rising is done when yeast has doubled in size.

-Once dough is done rising, preheat oven to 500 with the baking pan you will be using inside of it. Ensure rack is placed at the very bottom of the oven.

-Place dough on a floured surface and roll out into a rope. Pinch off 12 equal size pieces and roll each of these into a ball.

-Place balls of dough on floured surface, cover with a towel, and let rest 10 minutes.

-Roll out each ball into a circle about 6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick. Place on large, heated baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray 3 at a time. Lightly spray top of each pita with cooking spray

-Bake for 4 minutes (until the bread puffs up) turn over and bake for an additional 3 minutes.

-Remove from pan immediately and let cool.

-Repeat last 3 steps until all pitas are done.

ZCywadLl.jpg
Some of the finished product!

h2P6q2Hl.jpg
Cut into quarters and served with dinner!

Replies

• trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, could you use whole wheat?
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options

Whole wheat doesn't rise as well when it comes to bread. If you wanted to though, you could substitute about 1/2 of the flour for whole wheat. You could probably get away with up to 2 cups of whole wheat flour. Just keep at least 1 cup all-purpose flour.
  • smalacarne
    Options
    bump thank you!!!!
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks, the dinner looks so scrumptious!
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Thanks, the dinner looks so scrumptious!

You're welcome!

And thank you for the dinner compliment. I worked really hard on it and it was delicious!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this. I was drooling over your diary yesterday! Can't wait to try it!
  • Class_Act
    Class_Act Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Whole wheat doesn't rise as well when it comes to bread. If you wanted to though, you could substitute about 1/2 of the flour for whole wheat. You could probably get away with up to 2 cups of whole wheat flour. Just keep at least 1 cup all-purpose flour.

There's something you can buy called vital wheat gluten that you can use with wheat flour, if you want to stay 100% whole wheat.

ETA: OP this looks good, thanks for the recipe
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options

There's something you can buy called vital wheat gluten that you can use with wheat flour, if you want to stay 100% whole wheat.

ETA: OP this looks good, thanks for the recipe

I'd completely forgotten about that, however, it's hard to find in my area (only 1 store carries it) and since it's relatively expensive and I don't have many uses for it, I'd rather just use all-purpose flour for most things.
  • abrodniak
    abrodniak Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love pita bread! I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks!
  • toothfairy2717
    Options
    Yummy!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    damn that looks good. wish i could cook. i can only cook single item things. havent quite mastered recipes yet. but im working on it.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    damn that looks good. wish i could cook. i can only cook single item things. havent quite mastered recipes yet. but im working on it.

It's hard to learn how to cook if you haven't had someone to teach you. Good luck!
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • hsmama11
    hsmama11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Looks so good! From my calculations only 117 calories if broken into 12 servings! Nice!!!
  • hsmama11
    hsmama11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Looks so good! From my calculations only 117 calories if broken into 12 servings! Nice!!!
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options

Mine were 122 calories a piece but it's pretty low calorie either way!