Meniscus Tear anyone?

Options
Hey There,
I have a meniscus tear in my left knee. I've had it for a couple of years now and originally opted not to get it repaired/scoped, thought I'd just live with the pain. I've been going to the gym for over a year now and am now getting bored with doing the same ol' cardio all the time. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to start jogging again. Plus, I upped all my weights in my strength programs. I had to cut out both pretty quickly due to enhanced knee pain. At this point, I feel my knee is preventing me from taking my routines to the next level and am considering finally getting my knee repaired. My question is if anyone out there has had a meniscus tear repair and how they feel about it? Would you recommend it? Were you able to do more once you had the repair done? My tear is in my left knee and, of course, is in the area that has no blood circulation so it will never heal on it's own. I would appreciate anyone sharing their experience with the repair/scope.

Thanks!

Replies

• fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I know I have a meniscus tear, because my left knee just gives out randomly, but I'm too scared to get it fixed :( I do run at a moderate pace just so I don't collapse lol.

What have you done about it so far?
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I had a scope done on my hip from a tear. Made it worse. They wanted to do a scope on my shoulder from another tear, but after the hip I told them where to shove it. Years later, with a great pilates personal trainer, who I consider more of a physical therapist, I am pain free and have full range of motion in my hip and shoulder. Albeit, I'm not going to become a tennis pro or long distant runner knowing the tears are technically still there.

If I was pain free and able to live an active life, even if it was with certain alterations to my lifestyle, I would personally choose that over surgery any day.
  • Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So far, I have lost 28 lbs to help with the pressure on my knee. I still have much more to lose, of course, but am feeling hindered with physical activity at this point. My knee has actually been hurting more lately then it ever did, so I may be over doing it. Also, one of my trainers is also a physical therapist and has given me some exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee for support. Hopefully that will help. I was just curious what others had to say about getting the tear fixed. I have heard stories of it being worse afterwards and that is my fear.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I like what mslmesq had to to share. Gonna be trying that soon :)

Sooze, hope it works out for you either way!
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I had a scope done. Couldnt run for a month, but I was able to use elliptical. If you get it fixed, get recommendations before deciding on Doctor.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a small meniscus tear in my left knee and also had a pulled popliteus muscle in my knee... that's the muscle running diagonally behind the knee. I had an MRI done to verify what was going on and I opted for physical therapy instead of microfracture surgery. After 6 weeks of therapy, the pain level is minimal and I have been cleared for most activity, though running was not in that yet. I saw my orthopaedist on Monday and he said continuing with my therapy would be the way to go and if the pain worsens, then we can consider cortizone shorts and/or surgery.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I have one was well. My doc advised me to not only not run but to refrain from doing any power walking, stairmaster, elliptical and most cardio for 6 weeks. He told me that it would help if I used a stationary bike on low resistance for about 30 minutes per day. I have it in my right now and it gives out on me randomly as well. It's been about 2 weeks now and he told me to come back and see if I'm still experiencing pain. I might have to get surgery on it if it doesn't improve. I've been working my upper body and core but not too much of anything else.
  • Marcamp1978
    Options
    I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but my mom has the same problem with her right knee. She went in for the orthoscopic, and it helped for a little while, but that's it. Her knees stay swollen, and sometimes it feels like it pops out of place - not dislocation, but if she turns just right, her knee gives out. She refuses to do any surgery, but will go walking. Won't run, though. I wish I could give you something more constructive, but that's the only experience I know about this. I wish you the best, and hope you can find a positive solution!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Highly do not recommend. Worse off after than before... at least that was my experience, the time recovering and trying to get the strength back also is just aweful. Ice, compression band and strengthen the large muscles surrounding the knee... far better than the knife. I've had the scope and Orthroscopic surgery on left knee, and full reconstructive on right knee. Left knee took two years to get right again, and the right knee is worse than it was before. Plus I gained 50 lb - I hope someone else has had better experience than me. Best of luck.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I had a scope done. Couldnt run for a month, but I was able to use elliptical. If you get it fixed, get recommendations before deciding on Doctor.

I've had three major knee operations since I was 17 (becuase I stubbornly kept playing soccer). It's amazing how far the technology has come. I had my ACL and meniscus repaired/ scoped about three years ago and now I'm almost pain free for the first time in a decade.

Since you have injured it you will probably always have some discomfort, but I would recommend eventually getting it fixed so that they problem doesn't get worse with time (and it will). If you can I would recommend continuing to lose weight and doing thereapy until you knees are much stronger then revisit the idea of surgery. If you opt for it the rehab will go a lot easier if your muscles are strong.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I had a meniscus tear last fall. Had it repaired in March. I didn't want anesthesia, so I just got a local. I was done, walked out on crutches, and drove myself home from the hospital. My surgery was on a Wednesday. I was walking without crutches the same night. I was treadmill running by Monday.

I was sore for a while, but did my physical therapy, and have had no pain since mid-April. I would definitely do it again if needed.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I had one repaired in 2011. I went first to a doctor locally who is known as the running guru doctor. I had a couple of tears, a bucket tear and another one perpendicular to a portion of that. I enjoy racing - it's important to me. With him understanding it was important for me to be able to race competitively again, he sent me to a surgeon who has a great reputation for working on athletes.

Two years later I'm racing as much as ever, winning or finishing near the top of my age group (50-54) and have zero pain or limitations. Running some PR times as well.

Was nervous before the surgery, but completely glad I did it.
  • Sooze_1975
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It seems my fears about the repair may be well founded. For now, I guess I will stick with the rehab exercises and stay away from jogging. :-( Maybe it's time for me to try swimming.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I had a meniscus tear about 10 years ago- had it repaired and did pretty well afterwards. Think I just recently tore it again, though this time it's not nearly as painful as back then.
  • iamsuperfluff
    Options
    I had a miniscus tear in my left knee in March 2010. I opted for the knee scope surgery. Once I had the surgery it was all down hill from there. I was in much worse pain after the surgery and I never felt better again. I ended up having a total knee replacement in May 2011. I feel wonderful now and no longer have any issues with that knee. Now I have a torn miniscus in my right knee. I'm in a lot of pain and I'm going to go ahead and have the knee scope surgery and hopefully this will be enough this time. i'm hoping I don't continue to go down hill like I did last time. If I do then it will be another knee replacement. I wish I had better info for you but it was a night mare for me but at the same time I couldn't live with the pain of the torn miniscus.
  • Sooze_1975
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It seems my fears about the repair may be well founded. For now, I guess I will stick with the rehab exercises and stay away from jogging. :-( Maybe it's time for me to try swimming.

After writing the above, I see a few entries with positive outcomes. Thanks for sharing those!
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. I've recently injured the meniscus and the ligament running down the inside of my left knee. Physio has worked wonders with the ligament but I'm looking at have the meniscus done, we call it keyhole surgery over here. I can't walk more than about 3000 steps a day without being in agony, definitely can't run, but do use a stationary bike a few times a day to help with weight loss as it's the only exercise my physio would suggest. Gutted that it's happened now after I decided to start working on my weight :(

Good luck with whatever you decide to do x
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I had a tear in my left menicus, I started to train for a marathon, the pain got worse, it started to hurt to walk so I had surgery.

The surgery went well, I was up in no time. The Dr told me after the surgery that my knee was in great shape, shiny ligaments, only early arthritis looked like a possibility. It was good to know I could push it from there.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

After writing the above, I see a few entries with positive outcomes. Thanks for sharing those!

Do you wear any kind of brace on your knee? A simply compression sleeve may help aleviate the pain when you try to jog or lift heavier weights. A cold pack that I keep in my freezer is my best friend after a jog or whenever my knee swells. 20 min and it feels much better.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Seems like what it all boils down to is simple. Surgery affects different people different ways. I guess recovery would probably depend on factors such as age, weight, etc. I don't consider myself "ancient" (I'm 46) and would probably do it if my knee doesn't improve. I want to get back and start running really badly.