1200 calorie

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarra33
    Options
    Well I have determined that 1200 calories is not good for me. I've been sticking to it and eating about half my exercise calories.

Last night I was ready to eat my own leg and a sobbing, weepy mess on the couch when hubby was 45 minutes late for work because I was ready to go on a run but I was soooo hungry.

I ate a little bit, went on that run.

Weighed myself this morning and I have lost 4 pounds in 3 days. That's just not healthy, weight that comes off that fast, doesn't stay off. So I'm going to try bumping up to 1600/day plus half of exercise calories and see how that goes. I only have 9 pounds left to go (and then maybe another 5 to fine tune, we'll see) and I want it to stay off. I've lost this 15 pounds every Fall for 4 years in a row now and put it right back on.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Lunch.

I LOL'd hard.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm new to fitness pal and am trying to stick to 1200-1500 calories a day. Leaning toward 1200 and 100 carbs a day for a month. I need to get my A1c numbers down or it's shots for me. I'm not losing anything and in fact, I gained a couple of pounds. I've been walking every day, 8000-10000 steps. I know I should add more exercise but don't have the time. Any ideas on what can help me lose weight?

I'm drinking a Carnation Instant drink for breakfast, 2 T of peanut butter for a snack in the mid morning and a Smart ones, lean cuisine or similar for lunch 250-300 calories and No MORE than 39 carbs per meal, then for dinner 3-4 oz of protein typically chicken, and veggies and a cup of milk. My evening "snack" is a sugar free popsicle and sometimes some almonds. that's it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Further information is required if you want any assistance.

What is your BMR? How heavy are you (and how much weight do you have to lose)? Have you exercised at all before starting to walk recently?
  • ricki011
    ricki011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    geeze, i'm doing the same plan and have the same problem.
    i only get off maybe once a week; eat more carbs than i'd like, but otherwise strictly 1200 plus workout daily.
    i'm doing a 4,000 calorie workout challenge fro one of the MFP groups and feel great motivation to exercise, but dont see any weight loss yet. will keep going...
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Small banana for breakfast, an Amy's Light and Lean for lunch, dinner is proteins and carbs and "whatever" as long as I weigh and/or measure. To be frank, I rarely hit an honest 1200. It's a rare day when I'm not 100+ over, but a MUCH rarer day when I'm 200+ over. It's a guideline and it helps me to have a guideline :smile:
  • Lcmcks
    Lcmcks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try to spread my eating out over 6 small "snacky" meals (around 200 calories each) throughout the day: yogurt, soups, fruit, veges, soups, shrimp, tuna, nuts, etc. Healthy foods (most of the time) If I know I'm going out for lunch or dinner, I try to pre-plan what I'm going to eat ahead of time and adjust snacks thru the day accordingly. Once you do that for awhile, it's easy and doing so really shrinks your stomach (and appetite). If you don't drink caloric drinks, avoid sugars, breads and pastas, it's easy to do. I'm basically following a gluten-free diet...don't miss those carbs at all. I allow my meals to post...feel free to request me as a friend if you'd like.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories (roughly) for dinner.

If I had to eat 1200 calories a day, I would be in a constant bad mood.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories (roughly) for dinner.

If I had to eat 1200 calories a day, I would be in a constant bad mood.

Everyone's different :smile:
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Even at my size, I *can* do 1200 in a day and not be in a bad mood, craving things, etc. etc. etc. I have roughly 80 lbs of fat that will allow me to sustain a 2200kcal per day deficit if I want to (really could go 2500 without sacrificing any LBM, but I err on the side of caution). I don't hit that every day, but some days I do. Don't believe the hype - you can eat at a large deficit if you have enough body fat. It's perfectly healthy. How much of a deficit you can safely support depends on your fat mass and how well you structure your macros.

6'6" man, 290 lbs, roughly 30%BF
    I target 2000 kcal/day with 200g of protein.
    I find my *measured* TDEE at about 3200kcal on a normal day. up to 4500+ if I really push it. On those days I'll eat about 2200-2300 kcal
    I've lost 30 lbs of fat in the past 7 weeks, with no LBM loss and only the expected reduction in BMR.

The online TDEE calculators are inherently inaccurate. Basing your diet plan on that inaccurate number will probably work, but it won't be the most effective way unless you just happen to be one of the lucky few for whom the estimate is close to reality, and you have the same activity level every day. Your actual daily TDEE (and therefore your caloric needs) will change based on how active you are that day.

My point is that TDEE-20% is fine for an easy method to slowly lose weight. But, if you are willing to do some real research, you can probably sustain a much larger deficit. On the flip side, for those with very little weight to lose, TDEE-20% will cause LBM loss.

Figure out how much fat mass you have, try to hit a net daily deficit of a little less than 31kcal per lb of fat mass, and be sure you get at least .65g of protein per lb of LBM. Add in some weight training and you're set up nicely for really efficient and healthy fat loss. After that it's up to you to stay on top of your intake, your exercise, and sticking with the plan.