Ab training shock device

Options
Are those Ab belts any good, the one's you strap a belt around your waist & it gives out electric shocks to the muscle causing them to contract.

Yes lazy I know but interested

This - http://www.jacamo.co.uk/shop/ab-solution-360/xg477/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=8448#colour:,size:

Replies

• thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    no
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot of fat around your middle? The electric pulse won't even penetrate through to the muscle if you do.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    if you are really fat, just buy two. Duh!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    why would anyone want to do that to themselves?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    why would anyone want to do that to themselves?

Laziness is a hell of a thing.
  • Mouseanonymous802
    Options
    What if I wore it whilst I did my ab workout?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I can't believe money is made off of such crap...

How exactly are muscles "shocked" into growth? Does the shock have fat melting powers as well?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The Federal Trade Commission actually sued one ab belt's makers because it was a straight-up lie.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/07/unitedfitness.shtm

No, they don't work.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The fitness model in the pic did not use an ab belt to get ripped. He worked hard and ate at a deficit to get his BF low. IMO these things are sold by peoples desire to 'spot reduce'.

Sweat, effort and discipline are the best tools for fitness.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    What if I wore it whilst I did my ab workout?

You'll charge up the batteries in the ab belt.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options

How exactly are muscles "shocked" into growth? Does the shock have fat melting powers as well?

An electric pulse will cause the muscle to contract because that is how our physiology works (see 'action potential'), however contraction does not equal growth. I can sit and flex/extend my arm for half an hour every day, doubt my biceps will get any bigger.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The Federal Trade Commission actually sued one ab belt's makers because it was a straight-up lie.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/07/unitedfitness.shtm

No, they don't work.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply.

Think my mind is now made up, guess I will just work harder ;)
  • darrensurrey
    Options

An electric pulse will cause the muscle to contract because that is how our physiology works (see 'action potential'), however contraction does not equal growth. I can sit and flex/extend my arm for half an hour every day, doubt my biceps will get any bigger.

I think you're wrong. Here's the proof: http://youtu.be/MjZc8TljX3Y
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yep. I think I left it wide open for that one!

Although to be fair, if that was really the case you guys would all be walking round with one big arm and one little one ;-)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    For workouts: nah
    For entertainment: absolutely!

We used to have one in our dorm room when I was in college. It's amazing what you can strap those belts to when your a drunk idiot. I'm still amazed at the things we used to do while persuing a "higher education." I'll be more amazed if any of my buddies can still have kids.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Yes, that's pretty much what I hinted in my original post - muscles can not be shocked into growth. If that were the case, I'd sell my weight set and stick my finger in an electric socket. Sounds asinine, huh? So does the "Ab Training Shocking Device".
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Yep. I think I left it wide open for that one!

Although to be fair, if that was really the case you guys would all be walking round with one big arm and one little one ;-)

How very dare you! :grumble: