good carbs vs bad carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I really just don't understand how to eat a "balanced diet" is it best to stay away from bread and potatoes and rice and only eat meat and veggies? I never reach my daily calorie goal. But I feel like I eat too much as it is. I don't always choose the right foods either. Like tonight I got off work at 8 so I just grabbed a chicken sandwich from wendys and called it a night. how do you make time to ALWAYS eat right?

There aren't really "bad" carbs. The problem is with food that are highly processed. The fiber goes away, the protein goes away ..... and I'm guessing tons of vitamins go away too.... here's an example:

white bread vs. whole wheat bread ...yes, both are processed foods .... but the flour used is different

Wonder Bread- Classic White, 2 slices 110 cal/ 28 carb/ 2 fat/ 4 protein/ 1 fiber

Sara Lee - 100% Whole Wheat 2 slices 120 cal/ 23 carb/ 2 fat/ 6 protein/ 3 fiber

Protein and fiber are very filling, when your calories are restricted ..... you need to make the most of them.

Another problem with carbs ..... the American diet has shifted toward "starchy carbie" things and away from veggies & fruit. When you have a hamburger (there's a bun, obviously) ..... but you don't need fries and soda too (carbs + carbs + carbs). Have the hamburger with a bun, but have a green salad as a side dish ..... not potatoes. If you have grilled chicken (no bun) ....then have potato salad, or baked potato.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I prefer to call them naughty carbs and not to give them a complex.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    A "balanced diet" includes breads and potatoes and rice and meat and veggies.

I make time to always eat right by never thinking of it as "eating right". I vaguely pre-plan my day around my protein intake and fill in from there based on cravings.

Truth. I'm on the desert list. ;)
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I personally stay well clear of grains and starches the vast majority of the time and have found it to be extremely good for my (and my wife's) body composition and overall health. I do eat them sometimes, but only directly before or after a major workout.

Yes, carbs do digest faster and are more likely to end up as stored fat than protein or fat, calorie for calorie. The difference isn't as much as many people think though.

The primary reason for me and my family is two-fold.

1. Carbs are ridiculously calorie dense and typically nutrition shallow. I can eat eat my 4 egg 5 egg white, and banana breakfast and feel very satiated all the way till lunch time, or eat 4 pieces of bread for the same amount of calories and be starving 3 hours later. This of course leads to more eating and more snacking, which usually means more calories eaten overall and less of that being a good, balanced meal. A diet composed entirely of lean meat, vegetables, and some fruit is also going to deliver a huge amount of good nutrition.

2. It an easy and clear way to eat. People say that the fewer rules the better, and I agree, but I think very simple rules are a lot easier to follow than almost not rules... but constantly counting and stressing about calories and confusion. I eat large portions, stop when I am no longer hungry, and restrict a certain type of food. That all by itself is very easy to follow and I almost never end up going over even without worrying about calories or portions going into meals. This is THE EASIEST food plan I have ever been on.

I do want to say as well, although this is anecdotal, that my wife's general health has greatly improved. She has Crohns disease and while her flare-ups were controlled pre-diet, she had to regularly do breathing treatments, would cough almost uncontrollably when laying down for the night, etc. These stopped immediately when we cut the carbs. We also generally feel better all the time, sleep better, and genuinely feel like crap if we have really rich or processed food now. Your mileage may vary.
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Well first off, don't get fast food and leave it in their hands to give you the healthiest carb choices lol.
    When you look at the ingredients on packaging, make sure to choose bread/grains/tortilla etc.. that are made with whole grain/whole wheat.
    Bad carbs are fast-releasing
    good carbs are slow-releasing
    good luck!
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    NO?????
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I also don't demonize food (food that is actually food, that is).... I eat a little of everything.

BUT I do find, as another poster said, that if I eat something that is just carbs/mostly carbs (bagel is a perfect example) I am hungry much sooner than if I eat the same amount or fewer calories in a protein/fat heavy combo. Hence, the "balance" of the balanced diet. Eat it all, in balanced amounts. Pay attention to how your body feels with different combos. That's all that matters.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I really just don't understand how to eat a "balanced diet" is it best to stay away from bread and potatoes and rice and only eat meat and veggies? I never reach my daily calorie goal. But I feel like I eat too much as it is. I don't always choose the right foods either. Like tonight I got off work at 8 so I just grabbed a chicken sandwich from wendys and called it a night. how do you make time to ALWAYS eat right?

Are you dibetic, have PCOS, or any other health problem that would make you want to LIMIT your carb intake? If not, then there are no "good" or "bad" carbs.

I have to watch my starches for medicla reasons, and as such, I try to limit my starchy veggies, and concentrate on the non-starchy ones instead. I still let myself have the occasional order of french fries from a fast food joint, and I am still keeping myself in a healthier range than I was almost 90 pounds ago. I eat ice cream, I eat pizza, I eat sandwiches on bread. It's all a matter of portion control, and finding a way to make it work by shifting the burden throughout the day.

I find that if you let yourself ban foods by calling them evil, eating becomes more of a burden, and you crave ot want the things you can't have, and you sabotage yourself. It's better to not think of it as a diet, but a lifestyle change. You aren't restricting foods, but portioning the servings, and eating more reasonably.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    A "balanced diet" includes breads and potatoes and rice and meat and veggies.

I make time to always eat right by never thinking of it as "eating right". I vaguely pre-plan my day around my protein intake and fill in from there based on cravings.

Pretty much this.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Even though I fundamentally disagree with low-carbing, I always found your posts on it to be very intelligent.

What's there to fundamentally disagree with? Is low-carbing not a valid way to lose weight?

It's unnecessary unless required by medical restrictions.

Besides, unless you plan on low carbing for life .... what part of low-carbing helps you with maintenance?
  • highervibes
    Options
    Even though I fundamentally disagree with low-carbing, I always found your posts on it to be very intelligent.

What's there to fundamentally disagree with? Is low-carbing not a valid way to lose weight?

It's unnecessary unless required by medical restrictions.

Man, I hate to go down this road with you again, but whether something is or isn't necessary has no bearing on this conversation. A person who wants to lose weight can choose to lose that weight by following a low-carbohydrate eating plan, absent any medical reason to do so. So, to ask the same question again, what is there to fundamentally disagree with about low-carb? It's a perfectly viable way to lose weight.

The only thing that matters is whether or not a given style of dieting works for a given individual. Your views on how someone should do something are of no importance in deciding whether a given style works for them.

So you didn't need me to explain it to you after all... looks like you understand the word preference perfectly!

nvm... wrong person! lol
  • highervibes
    Options

The part that would allow you to eat a low-carb diet at basically any caloric intake level you'd like?

This is a joke right?
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options

The carb thing has been covered so I'm going to delve into the second half of the question....how do you make time to always eat right....well, lets dump the word always first....but for me I prepare ahead of time. Prepare, prepare, prepare. There are random snacks in my purse at all times. Second...I just keep hungry a little while longer and eat food at home. I don't stop at the Wendy's. I tough it out until I can make something healthy at home. Takes a bit longer...I'm tired...sometimes have just finished teaching 2 back to back fitness classes and I'm a sweaty nasty mess...but I keep driving. It's worth it to me. That being said...scratch ALWAYS...food is also meant to be enjoyed...but I'd rather have a tasty night out with my family over a fast food sandwich...but that's just me! :-)