why am I so exhausted after yoga & pilates

Options
Due to an old knee injury, I do private sessions of 1 on 1 yoga & pilates. It has helped my leg tremendously but it strengthens my whole body. I have great teachers, but the one thing Im noticing is how tired I am after.

Im not terribly sore, bc we go at my pace, although my muscles def feel worked. However Im so sleepy a couple hours after a session. Last night I fell asleep at 10 and woke up at 10! I always do this on work out days (4x/week). Since it's not cardio, I didnt think it would tire me out so much.

any insights welcome

Replies

• msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    From my experiences with yoga (I LOVE YOGA) is that it makes me sleepy too. Yoga relaxes the mind body and soul, so, i think it's just what it does, relaxes.
    Yoga healed my Heel spurs, sprained foot/ankle, and i no longer go to a chiropractor or dr for pains.

How long have you been practicing yoga? maybe you just need a year to get used to it? I still get really tired from it too, if i do a long tough work out.

i would love to hear from someone else too.
  • NonSpeakingNotSilent
    Options
    Hello,

I just started yoga twice a week and I am always exhausted after too!

I'm trying water right after and resting before heading home

On the plus side the knee pain I started with seems to actually be gone my second week in :/ so I'm happy. In not a bit exhausted
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily get exhausted from it, but by the time savasana rolls around I'm usually very relaxed and have dozed off in those few minutes of quiet.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pretty sleepy after a yoga session but I take an evening class (2000-2130) so that's not so surprising.

However yesterday I did a strength session in the morning then went to my class in the evening and I was exhausted by the end and felt very tired this morning, my normal 1.5mile walk to work was killer!

It's not exactly an insight, but maybe it's just a thing, after all yoga may not feel as intense as a long run or whatever but it is still impacting on your body so recovery time will be needed.