10,000 Steps

Options
What would I put this under when tracking my exercise?

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    What would I put this under when tracking my exercise?

Depends on what sort of steps and how you are tracking them.
  • barnesdormois
    barnesdormois Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a pedometer, gives me steps taken and distance. I can't really track my distance/mph since it is accumulated throughout the day...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have a pedometer, gives me steps taken and distance. I can't really track my distance/mph since it is accumulated throughout the day...

Most people would just bump up their activity level rather than log it as exercise.

If you want to log as exercise ..... take the number of miles and back into the number of minutes by using some sort of average miles per hour.

Example: If I walked 2 miles at a liesurely pace ... say 2 MPH ...then I must have walked for 60 minutes.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I researched this a while back and the 10,000 steps a day was supposed to be for highly active people so I would change my activity rate personally. Up to you though. Make sure you are getting your steps in consistantly if that is what you decide to do.
  • barnesdormois
    Options
    Thank you for your help. Sounds like I will just up my activity level.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    What kind of pedometer do you use? I have a FitBit and MFP links up to my FitBit account and creates a log in there automatically to adjust for the extra activity.
  • barnesdormois
    Options
    It's an Omron ~ nothing special. How do you like the FitBit? I was just reading up on that....
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    What kind of pedometer do you use? I have a FitBit and MFP links up to my FitBit account and creates a log in there automatically to adjust for the extra activity.

Same here... Love mine and aim for at least 10K steps and 10 flights of stairs/elevation daily. During the week it's easier than on weekends for me, so I need to work on that (no stairs at home) :grumble:
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It's an Omron ~ nothing special. How do you like the FitBit? I was just reading up on that....

I just got mine last week but I'm loving it so far. I bought the FitBit Flex.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Some researchers at Arizona State University published a research report to help translate steps taken into lifestyle classification:

"Based on currently available evidence, we propose the following preliminary indices be used to classify pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults: (i). <5000 steps/day may be used as a 'sedentary lifestyle index'; (ii). 5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered 'low active'; (iii). 7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities (and/or elevated occupational activity demands) and might be considered 'somewhat active'; and (iv). >or=10000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as 'active'. Individuals who take >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as 'highly active'."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

if you use these settings, make sure that you don't double count by also trying to enter those periods of activity as cardio
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would up your activity level. I have a FitBit and I just let it log my calories based on my activity level throughout the day, for step-based activities. For strength training, swimming, or anything non step-based, I log those activities manually in MFP.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    Some researchers at Arizona State University published a research report to help translate steps taken into lifestyle classification:

"Based on currently available evidence, we propose the following preliminary indices be used to classify pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults: (i). <5000 steps/day may be used as a 'sedentary lifestyle index'; (ii). 5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered 'low active'; (iii). 7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities (and/or elevated occupational activity demands) and might be considered 'somewhat active'; and (iv). >or=10000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as 'active'. Individuals who take >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as 'highly active'."

if you use these settings, make sure that you don't double count by also trying to enter those periods of activity as cardio

thank you!!! i just got my step counter and was wondering. great information!!!
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wait on the fitbit.. read up on Body Fit Media... google BFM core 2 band..coming out this fall.. steps, or running, heart strap with core 2..
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There are pedometers that also count calories burned and speed, they are fairly inexpensive (Mine is a Sportline model and was about $35, but I saw ones at the store for $25)

When I walk to/from work it's about 90 minutes of walking, and 10,000+ steps, my pedometer estimates the calorie burn at around 480ish. I set my MFP activity level to Sedentary because I have a desk job and log %50 of those calories as exercise.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I lost 2 lb my first week logging that way so I'm assuming I'm not screwing up too bad, lol.

Note: My pedometer is programmed with my stride length and weight, so I'm assuming that number would be different for people with different stats!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • krh1952
    Options
    I have a Fitbit also. Love it, especially now that automatically interfaces with myfitnesspal daily dairy.
    Kathy
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Same love my fitbit, would definitely recommend if you can afford it.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options

Your last sentence is the key. I log well over 10,000 steps a day, but most of that is exercise. I typically log between 2000 and 4000 steps not counting my daily walks - which would put me in the "sedentary" category.