HELP, Need New Cell Phone. WHAT SHOULD I GET?

Options
harley0269
harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
I desperately need new cell phone. WHAT SHOULD I GET???
I think I have it narrowed down to a Samsung galaxy 3 for $100 (my daughters suggestion)
or a Samsung galaxy 4 for $200?? (my son's suggestion)
HELP! Sale ends Saturday!

** I don't play games or stream videos/movies or download music. (not that tech savvy)
basically I just do email, face book, MFP, & lots of web searches, etc.
I must have front & rear camera & be able to video my grandbaby's cuteness.

ALSO is 2gb of data enough?

SUGGESTIONS?

Replies

• griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but for what you are using it for, you would be fine with either one. 2gb of data should be enough as well, especially if you are connected to a wireless network.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Samsung galaxy 4 never go with an older model if you can help it, always upgrade. My wife got a iphone4 and wished it was a iphone 5 now. Just read the other day that iphone 6 has a release date. Depends on how dependent on the phone you are going to be. Galaxy is so much better then iphone. Apple owns your soul.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I have always been "team iPhone" since the first generation, but I am getting ready to jump ship and get a Samsung Galaxy s4 too. I am just ready for a change, especially after the latest iPhone launch of the 5s & 5c ..... I am not impressed. The main difference from the 5 to 5s is the finger print thing, and I am not storing nuclear launch codes in my phone so who cares about that really! I have heard great things about the Galaxy s4, I like that it's screen is bigger than iPhone, but still small enough to put in my pocket. The camera is pretty awesome too.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    No games, streaming, or music? I think I have something in the back of my pawn shop for you for a lot less. PM if interested...Thanks! :)

old_cell_phone.jpg
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Go for the 4 or wait for the iPhone 5s....
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    My old Job gave me the SG3 and now I have the SG4
    SG3- Google maps is/was great
    SG4 - Google Maps Not so great. actually pretty crapy.

Also, you can get a memmory stick to add to the phone for photo's.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The main difference from the 5 to 5s is the finger print thing,
    Did you forget about the two brand new processors in the 5s? The A7 chip is over twice as fast as the A6, and the new M7 processor is meant almost exclusively for health and fitness apps like MFP!!!

But it's a choice everyone has to make for themselves. I almost jumped ship to the Galaxy 4S until this new iPhone 5s was revealed Tuesday ....
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Nexus 4, $249 with NO CONTRACT. Won't work on Verizon but it's fine for AT&T and T-Mobile. Better yet, get a prepaid plan. TMobile has one you can only buy online and at Walmart, $30 a month for 100 minutes (if you don't talk on the phone a lot) and unlimited text & data. You can also get Straight Talk through Walmart which is unlimited everything (text, data, minutes) for $45 a month. In both cases they slow your data down from higher speeds after 2gb usage but there are no overage charges for data.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb&feature=microsite&hl=en
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    bought an S3 off ebay because I did not want to uprade and lose my unlimited data plan, Verizon you suck!

I really like my S3 and have been happy with it thus far.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S4. My husband has it and I have phone envy.

I have the iPhone 4S. While I like it I like the Galaxy S4 better and plan on upgrading in February.

Regarding the "latest and greatest" iPhone - the S5 - I have not heard good things about it. I heard that the only thing that's new is the finger print swipe. Nothing innovative at all.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i have a s4 and i LOVE it! I also have 2GB of data and I've never reached my quota. At home I use wifi when watching video or updating apps. At the gym I listen to internet radio using data from the plan. I maybe use 1 GB/ month.
  • harley0269
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the info everyone, that was great!
    Think I'm leaning to galaxy 4 now.
  • harley0269
    Options
    THATS FUNNY!
    Thanks for the chuckle pawnstarnate!
    my old phone is a bit newer than that one, but probably not by much! :laugh:
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Never buy an iphone or anything else with apple on it :wink:

I would buy the new HTC One. 2gb is by far not enough, You will start to make pics and all sort of things. You will use your new phone much more. For everything you can download an app. Even for MFP.

Aha, you mean two gig data plan. Thats plenty, just use Wifi wherever possible.
  • RuzonRian
    Options
    In your opinion what is the wifi blocker used for? Do you have a basic understanding of the knowledge about it? If you want to know more about it, then you can stop your step then you will get the information and the knowledge you want.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Lg Optimus G is a nice one. Droid of course!
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    Options
    I was going to get a Samsung 4 but opted for an HTC One. Glad i did as it's awesome phone.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I advise on a prepaid phone, you can find a variety for different carriers out there. If you like Apple, you can get an iphone 5 on Virgin Mobile - $550 for the phone, then $35 a month for unlimited text and data and 300 talk minutes. After one year, you will have paid roughly the same amount you would have on a plan for the phone, then you are generally paying a lower amount per month vs a contract phone.

I think T-Mobile and some of the other plans out there are similar to this.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    iPhone! They have a new one out today.