Completely confused by BMR and net calories....

I am so confused! I have read a bunch of posts where people say you need more net calories than your BMR. As calculated by MFP, my BMR is 1521. My weight loss goal is 1.5-2lb loss per week. It has my food calories set at 1200. So even if I don't go to the gym and I just lay around eating 1200 calories, I am still well under my BMR of 1521. Everyone says this is bad for your body. I guess I just don't understand why MFP would set my consumed calories to 1200, if it should not be under my BMR of 1521? On days that I work out I eat about 1500 calories, but then I burn 600 at the gym. So I actual net less than a 1000. There are a lot of very healthy and active people where I work. They all say, don't worry about your net calories. Consume only the 1200 and don't eat back your burned calories. This is what they have been told by their personal trainers. So now I am completely confused! I don't want my body to feel like it is starving or to damage it. I certainly don't feel like I am starving, but my calorie totals worry me when I start reading posts on here. Can anyone explain what I should be actually doing in order to drop the extra pounds, in a healthy way?

Replies

• I don't have much experience in this but ... It's not about 'how much' you eat,but 'what' you eat
  • nacloud234
    nacloud234 Posts: 3 Member
    You are exactly right! I am definitely eating good "real" food and getting enough healthy proteins. I think this is why I don't feel like I am starving.
  • amit949
    amit949 Posts: 8 Member
    First read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) which is essentially the amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight. What you need to do is eat CLEAN foods, avoid processed foods, drink at least a gallon of water per day and no other forms of drinks, eat 6 small meals per day in which more protein is consumed then carbs, and finally avoid bad fats and take in only healthy fats such as Fish Oils or CLA.

You need to understand the difference between eating vs. eating healthy. There is a lot of literature available online. Key terms to research are complex carbs vs. simple, insulin effects on blood sugar/ weight loss, timing meals, meeting macro / micro nutrient requirements, and etc.

For exercise, you should weightlift as well as do cardio. I would recommend reading up on carb-cycling as well as try to follow one of the programs on bodybuilding.com

Your overall goal is to lose body fat percentage by eating less calories than your BMR. The deficit you choose to have daily will dictate how much weight you will lose. Its a matter of intelligent eating and consistent training followed by adequate rest.

Strength training burns more calories than just cardio. Doing it will help in so many ways. Overall, you need to commit to a new lifestyle of living. Bodybuilding.com is a great website to learn from.

So if 1521 is your body's / lifestyle BMR rate then you need to eat at a deficit of that. Depending on your goals the percentage of your 1521 calories should be dictated by your macros i.e. percent of Protein, Carbs, and Fats. You need to eat 200-500 calories below your BMR on days you don't exercise.

When you do exercise, you will have to calculate the calories you burned / expenditure during the workout. Subtract that number from the amount of calories you consumed so far to figure out how many calories you have left to consume. Keeping consistence and combining strength training with cardio on alternating days as well as doing High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) will help you lose weight.

There is a lot more details to learn but essentially use the MFP website and app to track your nutrition. Learn about healthy eating. Strength train and do cardio. Eat clean. All of that will help.
  • nacloud234
    nacloud234 Posts: 3 Member
    So that link says it is bad to eat less than your BMR, but you I should eat less than my BMR. I am still confused.....
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Everything I've read from MFP says to eat under your BMR. The BMR is what you need to live: heart beating, breathing, etc. To lose weight you need to eat less than your body uses in a day. However, I do not agree with MFP telling you to 'eat back your exercise calories'. Now I know a lot, and I do mean A LOT of people on here swear by it and if it works for them I won't argue. However, it does not work for me. My BMR is 2300 so my daily calories are 1800 (to lose 1 pound a week). When I eat 1500-1800 of good healthy choices each day and work out I see progress. When I try to eat my exercise calories back I stall out. But like I said, I found what worked for me.
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    From what I understand, this is the most accurate calculator:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    So that link says it is bad to eat less than your BMR, but you I should eat less than my BMR. I am still confused.....

MFP has set my calorie goal at less than my BMR but that was explained to me as being because 1. I am obese and 2. I have a sedentary lifestyle (drive all day long)

There are many on here that will tell you that 1200 calories net is the absolute minimum you should eat but I am not going to start the argument on that one all over again.

But

If you are using MFP to calculate your calories burned then eat at least 50% back (I eat 100% of those shown by my Heart Rate Monitor) I believe, but again not 100% certain that if you eat to few calories you will start to lose lean muscle mass

And while those people who told you to forget the net calories may be fit, are they logging everything they eat to see what their calorie intake is? I suspect not
  • EmmaNilsson77
    EmmaNilsson77 Posts: 38 Member
    BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) =/= TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Don't confuse the two; you want a cut from your TDEE, but around here, from what I've gathered, it's pretty well accepted that you still need to eat at least your BMR.
    Read;
    www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=road+map
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

BMR - basal metabolic rate ..... calories needed if you were in a coma

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

TDEE - total daily expenditure .... calories you use based on activity level (including) exercise

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

MFP gives you your calorie goal (in part) based upon the number of pounds you want to lose each week. The problem with that is that some people don't know what a decent weekly goal is. It's not the same for everyone.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

When you put in an aggresive goal ...... you will be losing fat AND muscle. When you put in a more modest goal ....you lose slower, but keep more muscle mass. Remember, muscle is the good stuff that keeps your metabolism going. It's much easier to maintain muscle .... than it is to build it back up.

NET calories ..... MFP gives you a calorie deficit with ZERO exercise. When you add exercise .... you make the calorie deficit bigger (too big = muscle loss).

TDEE includes exercise ..... so you could start with this number & subtract a percent. 20% off TDEE is good when you have a ways to go ....... 5% is you are really close to goal. Here you don't worry about eating calories "back" .... because the exercise is already in there.
  • amit949
    amit949 Posts: 8 Member
    You eat less than your BMR. How its calculated varies. The most accurate number can only be determined by labs with the technology. MFP uses a formula that estimates. So your goal is to eat 200-500 less than your BMR. If you eat fewer than 500 calories below your BMR, you risk messing up your metabolism temporarily and hurting your immune system.

The human body needs gradual change. So just keep in mind what I mentioned above. The BMR is essentially the mark you don't want to exceed.

A simple example. Your BMR is 2000. You ate 1500 calories prior to your workout. You work out and burn 500 calories. What happens then is you have 1000 calories in you for that day in which 500 is subtracted bc of the workout. Now you have 1000 calories in you (post-workout) so have to eat 500 cals more so that your total calories are 1500; therein, making it 500 cals below your BMR.

MFP gives you a number below your BMR to meet daily bc you set your goals and they calculate the required deficit. Does that make it easier?
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member

BMR - basal metabolic rate ..... calories needed if you were in a coma

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

TDEE - total daily expenditure .... calories you use based on activity level (including) exercise

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

MFP gives you your calorie goal (in part) based upon the number of pounds you want to lose each week. The problem with that is that some people don't know what a decent weekly goal is. It's not the same for everyone.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

When you put in an aggresive goal ...... you will be losing fat AND muscle. When you put in a more modest goal ....you lose slower, but keep more muscle mass. Remember, muscle is the good stuff that keeps your metabolism going. It's much easier to maintain muscle .... than it is to build it back up.

NET calories ..... MFP gives you a calorie deficit with ZERO exercise. When you add exercise .... you make the calorie deficit bigger (too big = muscle loss).

TDEE includes exercise ..... so you could start with this number & subtract a percent. 20% off TDEE is good when you have a ways to go ....... 5% is you are really close to goal. Here you don't worry about eating calories "back" .... because the exercise is already in there.

QFT - read this and only this.