Stronglifts 5x5

Options
The very helpful adini749 has recommended Stronglifts 5x5 as a good introductory lifting plan for me, an absolute lifting noobie.

I'd be interested to hear the board's thoughts about the plan, good or bad, and some experiences of using the system.

I'm roughly halfway through a 68lb weight loss programme, and my primary aim is fat loss. I'm looking for something to do in the mid-week, after work, now that the incoming nights prevents me taking my bike out.

TIA.

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Its a great program. I definitely increased my strength, and even though there was virtually no movement on the scale my body has changed so much.
  • radradradradrad
    radradradradrad Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i have been trying to stay committed to this program over the past couple of months-- trying being the operative word. i travel a lot for work, so when i can't make it to my gym or any gym with the proper equipment it derails my progress.
    i really like the program and see a lot of quick results and accomplishments in adding weight and getting stronger, i just wish i could stay on a normal routine. right now, i'm back at trying to improve my cardio endurance until i have some downtime from travel and then i'll be back at it!

that said, you should definitely give it a shot! the info is free and so is the app, which is wonderful! very easy for beginners, but also makes it very easy to attain the strength goals of an experienced weight lifter!

friend me if you like!
  • klynnshuck
    klynnshuck Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it about a month. I swear looking at pictures, my body has changed more in the last month than it did the 3 months prior to that with strickly running; even though I haven't lost any weight the past month vs. around 15 pounds in those 3 months. I think it is great program and enjoy seeing my strength improve. Now I worry less about the scale and more about seeing my measurements decrease.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's a solid beginner program, that should be good for learning form and giving you a decent foundation of strength. Then you can move on to more advanced programs.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Started it in March. My weight hasn't changed much but my body looks different (down 2 sizes) and I feel great. I've made good progress strength-wise following the program but have recently changed it a little bit. I think you will like it. It's a great beginner's program.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    This is the program I used when I started out. I liked the simplicity, given I'd never lifted anything heavier than a 6.6 lb. dumbbell. The videos were good for explaining form, and after having watched them several times, I realized that *I* could certainly do this, so I started in mid-February and worked it through mid-June, until I pinched a nerve and took some time off. Even after one month of the program, I saw very noticeable differences in my size (I was shrinking, and in a good way). :wink:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    All she ever suggested to me, I mean ordered, was for me to get back in the bed

ETA: and hugs
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    All hail the Great Adini! Huzzah!!! :flowerforyou:

And yes, it is a great program.

Just please be sure to get the PDF and read it completely versus just reading summaries and cliffnote versions.

People miss out on many of the concepts (like consistent progression) and the reasoning behind things that not only help explain the program and the reasoning behind the approach, but also gives info about lifting in general that can carry over to future programs and such.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Adini knows her stuff. Listen.
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the stronglifts program since early July after several years of split training with a personal trainer. I like the program a lot. I've seen some very good strength gains and body composition change even though I've been eating in a deficit. I like the simplicity of the program and that it's a full body workout with all compound lifts. Depending on your rest periods between sets it can be done in 45 - 60 minutes.

My advice would be to learn and practice the proper form for the lifts. There's a lot to read and watch on the internet and youtube. If possible have someone show you the form and watch you. I'm suffering from some shoulder pain now, probably bicep tendonitis, I think because my form was off on my bench press.
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    One more thing, there's a Stronglifts app for Iphone, Ipod and Ipad which has a timer and is very good at keeping track of your sets and progress. I understand they're working on one for android that's in beta testing now. For my android phone I use Liftbig - which works the same way essentially but the timer doesn't start automatically when you enter your reps.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Awesome beginner program. Lost weight slower but saw incredible changes in my body composition. Gained loads of strength. Progressing is addicting.

I do feel like it takes a lot of time due to so many sets and having to rest between each set. However, if you have the time to dedicate to it, that wouldn't be an issue. I only have my hour lunch break, and need my work-out to be about 30-40 minutes to allow for changing time and eating time.

I also got bored of squats after a few months because you do them every single work-out.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It has worked well enough for me in 7 weeks that my wife dosn't think I'm too skinny anymore.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i think you should do the plan instead of asking about the plan. truth is, for a beginner almost anything will get you started, and SL 5x5 is a fine place to start. so, you know, actually go ahead and get started and then after a few months of lifting you'll have an idea of what you like and which direction you'd like to go in after that.

but go ahead and get started. we can give you opinions till the end of time but the only thing that matters is actually, you know, get started.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I been lifting a long time and just decided to do this program to see for myself.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    All hail the Great Adini! Huzzah!!! :flowerforyou:

And yes, it is a great program.

Just please be sure to get the PDF and read it completely versus just reading summaries and cliffnote versions.

People miss out on many of the concepts (like consistent progression) and the reasoning behind things that not only help explain the program and the reasoning behind the approach, but also gives info about lifting in general that can carry over to future programs and such.

QFT
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    i think you should do the plan instead of asking about the plan. truth is, for a beginner almost anything will get you started, and SL 5x5 is a fine place to start. so, you know, actually go ahead and get started and then after a few months of lifting you'll have an idea of what you like and which direction you'd like to go in after that.

but go ahead and get started. we can give you opinions till the end of time but the only thing that matters is actually, you know, get started.
    Agreed. Less thinking, more doing. :happy:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Personally, I'd rather sit at my keyboard typing about the plan than actually doing the plan. At least it requires a lot less effort.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I dig the plan itself, but Medhi is annoying with his spam. I know, I know.. you can opt out.. but I'm a glutton for punishment (and I'm waiting for the email about there finally being a freakin' android app release.)