Running/ C25k question

Options
i have never done any exercise in my life except that i started walking a year before.
now i am 24 and hypothyroid. and 5'4 in height and 184 lbs (obese).

i have started with c25k and i am in w2d1

but at the end of 1.5 minute of jogging i felt so much pain in bones of lower legs while running that i dont think i can go beyond 1.5 minute ever,

is this pain normal?? did u also experience it. i am not talking about cramps. this is pain in bones of lower legs while running.

Replies

• trishful
    trishful Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had pains in my shins when I first started to C25K as well. The first thing I did was bought a comfortable pair of running shoes, and started stretching before and after. I am currently on W7D2 and I can run for 25 minutes without the pain. In the beginning the pain was so intense for me that I thought I would never be able to run. I would come home and ice my shins and take advil. Good Luck!
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    good to hear this.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted for a good pair of running shoes. If you have the option available, have a pedorthist consult. I had terrible knee problems that were solved by proper footwear.

Not cheap, but worth it.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Definitely get good shoes, do a good warm-up walk before starting and stretch after. Also, don't be afraid to do repeat a week. Take it slow, you'll get there!
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Dont be afraid to run much slower than you think you should be running to start. Its important to stretch and its important to take your rest days.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Dont be afraid to run much slower than you think you should be running to start. Its important to stretch and its important to take your rest days.
    Agree with this...and also about getting proper shoes. They are VERY important!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    is this pain normal?? did u also experience it. i am not talking about cramps. this is pain in bones of lower legs while running.

If you are heavy, then this "could" be shin splints (*). You can google what it means, but the key point is to never run through the pain, as you could do some injury.

As you lose weight, the pain will go, but just watch yourself until then. Try swimming, aerobics or cycling - something low impact.

(*) Disclaimer: not medically qualified, but a sufferer of MTSS before I lost weight
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I am going to presume you have seen a doctor before starting this (or any) exercise plan, and that you are not suffering from some disease or condition in your legs. That said, my legs started feeling better the more I run. The actually seem stronger. And you must get fitted for proper shoes, it will make a great deal fo difference. It will also lighten your wallet, but...
  • kittiebittie
    kittiebittie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I asked a marathoner for you. Run on a softer surface (grass not a path, just run on the side), better shoes and see a doctor to make sure it isn't shin splints. If it is, you'll make it worse. Hope that helps.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had this when I first started out. Your body is adapting, but to do this it needs to adjust which involves many different things.

I did longer stride walking, faster walking to hit the legs harder and then started using squats, stair climbs etc to get the legs used to heavier loads and more endurance.

Everyone is different but this worked for me. I still do the dumbell stairs thing now...albeit with 30lbs more in each arm.
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    shoes are so important! I think a lot of people think that they will just pick out the shoes that they like the look of the most. But when starting to run it's just most important to go and get properly fitted. Also, if you are having some pain you might want to ice down after your runs...And definitely don't be afraid to repeat weeks...once your body gets used to running you'll be hooked:) You got this!! WTG on your accomplishments so far!!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Aside from the shoes, how are you striking the ground? Heel-to-toe causes a lot of issues with shin splints. I was always a mid-stride until very recently I tried changing over to a forefoot strike (ball of my foot) and it has made an AMAZING difference! I'm on Week 7, Day 3 tomorrow.... keep going! You can do it with the right pair of shoes!
  • csaul777
    csaul777 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am about the same height and weight as you are, and did the C25K last year. I had problems with my breathing when I first started. However, I have run 2 5Ks in the last two months.

I would suggest like the other posters to get fitted for a good pair of running shoes. Also, it sounds like you may have shin splints, and you may also want to invest in some compression knee socks or compression sleeves for your calves. I absolutely LOVE my compression socks and couldn't run without them!

Or, you could try KT tape for the shin pain. I have arthritis in both knees and have tried just about everything for that pain, and the KT tape works the best - I can't tell that I have the tape on, and more importantly, ZERO pain in the knees!!

Hope this helps.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Aside from the shoes, how are you striking the ground? Heel-to-toe causes a lot of issues with shin splints. I was always a mid-stride until very recently I tried changing over to a forefoot strike (ball of my foot) and it has made an AMAZING difference! I'm on Week 7, Day 3 tomorrow.... keep going! You can do it with the right pair of shoes!

THIS. I got professionally fitted for traditional shoes (and make sure they let you run the block/store in them) and had them less than a week and had horrid knee pain for the first time in my life. Went back, got fitted for semi-minimalist Brooks Pureflows that trained me to run on the balls of my feet. It takes a little getting used to and it slows you down (not a bad thing), but the knee pain went away instantly.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Running shoes, proper form, good socks, warming up and having enough potassium and water in your system all help. Also remember sometimes you may need to repeat a day/week, its not shameful - it is smart!