TDEE success?

Options
Hi! I am looking for people who had success with upping their calorie intake. I have suddenly stalled and am considering going to TDEE - 20% method. Although I am scared to gain, I wanna give it a try. I have a bodymedia, and it tells me i burn 2500-3000 a day and have been eating roughly 1700. Wondering if this would cause me to stall as I am close to gw. I have lost about 40 pounds so far with about 13 pounds till my ultimate goal weight. Interested in any input! Thanks!

Replies

• ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you set everything right with the Bodymedia? I burn around that amount, and I weigh around 250 and workout for 1-2 hours every day, seven days a week. Try reentering your information on bodymedia as if you are just starting to use it today, do it through the "goals" section (not just by updating your weight), reset all goals and see if it gives you a different number.

Here is a TDEE calculator to help you have something to compare with Bodymedia:
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yup - this happened to me! And "you need to eat more to lose" was uber scary for me, but it's magic!!! The closer you get, the more you have to eat. I have 12 pounds to go and I'm at TDEE -10%. Slow and steady. :)

I use scooby's workshop to get my TDEE.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you're a regular exerciser and can guarantee you'll get your workouts in rain or shine, no matter how you feel and whatever else is going on in your personal/professional life, then it's a better method in my eyes - you can eat the same amount a day and get more organised. Of course that suits my personality and fanatical commitment to training. That's not for everyone!

You need to ask yourself some honest questions about how well you'll stick to it given the factors above.
  • smithed812
    Options
    Your bodymedia is probably pretty accurate. I'm 5'3", about 140, work 40 hours a week on my feet, and run quite a bit. My average burn is around 2800 so I use that. I've gotten up as high as 3700 before. Trust the bodymedia! The more you are on your feet the more you burn without realizing it. Especially if you are running around with kids!

Anyways, since getting my bodymedia I upped my cals (alarmed by the huge deficits I was having daily) and aimed for 2300 a day. For probably 2-3 weeks I didn't lose a single ounce, but I remained patient and stuck with it. The scale finally started moving. I have been losing roughly 1 lb a week since then.

Patience is key. I strongly believe that the body needs fuel to run on :)
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I agree. I believe if you have all of your settings correctly on your body media fit and are truly burning those calories you need more fuel to keep going. I have tried a number of different calculations on what my calorie intake should be and honestly the one that has been consistant for me is TDEE - 20%. I only have a small amount left to lose so I have changed this to a smaller cut off TDEE. It is all about making a reasonably defecit but making sure you have enough fuel for your body :-)
  • fitatforty3
    fitatforty3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started using the TDEE method last week and I'm up 4 pounds and I did 30 Day Shred 5x, treadmill (50-60 minutes) 5x, I am ready to go back to MFP's suggested daily calories because I was losing at a steady pace or should I give it a few weeks
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you set everything right with the Bodymedia? I burn around that amount, and I weigh around 250 and workout for 1-2 hours every day, seven days a week. Try reentering your information on bodymedia as if you are just starting to use it today, do it through the "goals" section (not just by updating your weight), reset all goals and see if it gives you a different number.

Here is a TDEE calculator to help you have something to compare with Bodymedia:
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Thanks! I am going to readjust right now.
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    Your bodymedia is probably pretty accurate. I'm 5'3", about 140, work 40 hours a week on my feet, and run quite a bit. My average burn is around 2800 so I use that. I've gotten up as high as 3700 before. Trust the bodymedia! The more you are on your feet the more you burn without realizing it. Especially if you are running around with kids!

Anyways, since getting my bodymedia I upped my cals (alarmed by the huge deficits I was having daily) and aimed for 2300 a day. For probably 2-3 weeks I didn't lose a single ounce, but I remained patient and stuck with it. The scale finally started moving. I have been losing roughly 1 lb a week since then.

Patience is key. I strongly believe that the body needs fuel to run on :)

Wow, That is great to hear. I do run around with my 2 kids and workout regularly. Thanks for the reassurance!
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I came off of a vlcd to tdee-20 and gained 8-10 pounds in five weeks (I say 8-10 because I know some of it was water weight). I decided to comine tdee-20 with the mfp way and set my mfp to my tdee with a sedentary activity level and then I eat back a portion of my exercise calories. This way I have either maintained or seen small decreases in my weight and I'm about 5 lbs away from before I started tdee-20.
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    Thanks for replying! Looking to hear more stories!!
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been using TDEE for about 7 or 8 weeks now. MFP had me 1230 calories at one point. Not only was I hungry all the time but my weight loss stalled. I am now using a combination of TDEE and MFP. I set my calorie goal using TDEE with no exercise at 20% deficit. Then if I feel like I eat my exercise calories back. I am losing more rapidly than ever! 1.5 to 2 lbs a week. I do have to keep up with the exercise though to keep my metabolism up. Good luck!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Me... I still do it.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I started using the TDEE method last week and I'm up 4 pounds and I did 30 Day Shred 5x, treadmill (50-60 minutes) 5x, I am ready to go back to MFP's suggested daily calories because I was losing at a steady pace or should I give it a few weeks

You need to give it more time. A month would be great. My advice is to take your measurements if you didn't do it when you started TDEE-20%. Give it a month and ignore the scale if you can. Your body needs time to adjust to more calories and will likely hold onto some water weight for a while. When I started I gained a pound and held onto it for a month to the day. BUT I lost 5 pounds during a two week period during that time thanks to lifting weights and TDEE-20%.
    Just remember that the scale doesn't tell the whole story. The tape measure is a better way to monitor your progress with this approach to fat loss.
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    Wow!! Just amazing to hear, you guys!! The more and more I hear this, the more I am convinced!! Definitely thinking of putting my scale away for the next month so I don't go crazy with my weight. I just hate obsessing over it! And with more food , I know it will go up. Appreciate it, guys!!
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    SASSYGIRLY30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Awesome success!! (see ticker below) :bigsmile:
  • june21112
    Options
    Been doing it for a while now. Like you I stalled out on losing too and figured it wouldn't hurt to try TDEE and I am so glad I did. Slow and steady and I see inches coming off more now than ever. Be patient and give it a try.
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    Been doing it for a while now. Like you I stalled out on losing too and figured it wouldn't hurt to try TDEE and I am so glad I did. Slow and steady and I see inches coming off more now than ever. Be patient and give it a try.

Awesome!!!! So reassuring!
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    Awesome success!! (see ticker below) :bigsmile:

Wow! Thats amazing, great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!