Halloween costume help?

Options
abyt42
abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
I've finally gotten the team of teachers I work with to agree to dress up in a theme (I was lobbying for cartoon characters, then literary characters....voted down.)

So, now I'm stuck. I could have easily been Velma (I've even got the turtleneck), but I've got no ideas for the current theme: significant historical figures.

The women I can easily come up with just look like folks (no trademark clothing), and won't be recognizable for our students: Emma Goldman, Helen Joseph, Margaret Sanger.....

The women who stand out for me as having iconic features or accessories won't be people they recognize (Gloria Steinem, Bella Abzug, Margaret Thatcher)...

Any ideas about a fairly simple "historically significant" figure? (Other people have already claimed Rosie the Riveter, Sally Ride, Cleopatra, Attila the Hun and Elvis....)

Replies

• crucible_13
    Options
    Amelia Earhart, Joan of Arc, Molly Brown, Mother Teresa, Georgia O'Keefe

http://www.lkwdpl.org/wihohio/figures.htm
  • Dubuque
    Dubuque Posts: 49 Member
    Options
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Amelia Earhart?
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Annie Oakley, Amelia Areheart (sp) Betsy Ross,Madame Curry
  • sarahsmom1
    Options
    Annie Oakley, Betsy Ross,Madame Curry
    Marlyn Monroe
  • sarahsmom1
    Options
    Helen Keller
  • crucible_13
    Options
    Amelia Earhart?

the first to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Eleanor Roosevelt (probably more significant) & Jackie O (recognizable!!)
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Sorry if there are duplicates: Marie Antoinette, Princess Diana, Marie Curie, Sacajawea, Pocahontas, Emelda Marcos, Evita

As a side note, I was Sacajawea for a few years in high school dressing up. I braided my hair (when it was long and braided a wig, when it wasnt). Burlap dress and a baby on the back. She was the Shoshone guide that took Lewis & Clark across the Western US.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I second Joan of Arc and I'll add Clara Barton and Laura Ingalls Wilder.
  • jantawa
    jantawa Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Florence Nightingale, Pocahantas, Queen Elizabeth I, Eleanor Roosevelt.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe!! Betty White. Amelia Earhart. The woman on the "We Can Do It" poster showing her bicept ;) Oh, Shirly Temple :)
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    Anne Frank
    Queen Victoria
    Rachel Carson
    Emily ****inson
    Sojourner Truth
    Jane Austen
    Indira Ghandi
    Agnes de Mille
    Clara Barton
    Catherine the Great
    Maria Montessori
    Rosa Parks
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    Anne Frank
    Queen Victoria
    Rachel Carson
    Emily ****inson
    Sojourner Truth
    Jane Austen
    Indira Ghandi
    Agnes de Mille
    Clara Barton
    Catherine the Great
    Maria Montessori
    Rosa Parks
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The Queen, you just have to wear a suit with a nice tiara and do the "wave" . . . isn't she old enough to be historical?
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I say who cares if they don't immediately recognize who you are, what an opportunity for them to learn about someone "unusual" or "atypical"? Wear a sign that says "ask me who I am" or something! How about Jane Austen? Harriet Tubman? Mrs. Washington? Betsy Ross? (now THAT could be fun..... carrying around some sewing resembling a flag?).... Pocahontas? Sacajawea? Lucretia Mott? (remember that part in Mary Poppins, when all the suffragettes are marching around carrying signs and singing? I loooove that!) Florence Nightingale? Eleanor Roosevelt? Maya Angelou? Great job convincing the department to dress as a theme! Your ideas were great, and I'm sorry they got voted down, but you still won and you can have sooooo much fun with this theme! I can't wait to hear what you choose, and see pictures!!!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Looking at your pic, iI think Joan of Arc or Florence Nightingale: simple but impactful at the same time and 2 of the most incredible female hero's!
    Other options could be Marilyn Monroe (just depends on how confident you are about your body and how the school would view a sexy dress & heels), or if you're OK with a wig, Danica Patrick (she's had many firsts with formula one racing and now in NASCAR!).

Good job on getting everyone to dress up: I've always loved Halloween and it's great for school kids to see their teachers as "real" people who can do more than just teach. It's so much more fun when there's some interaction between teachers & students. Someone mentioned about going with one of your personal favs & just wearing a sign that says "ask me who I am". This may pique some students curiosity who wouldn't normally ask or delve into that kind of learning; you may win them over and teach/get them to learn something and remember it for a long time to come.

Good Luck & post the after pics if you can!:flowerforyou:
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys...
    I forgot to mention that there's a contest for the students involved....so "ask me who" would probably not be totally within bounds. I'm still leaning toward Emma Goldman, though. Or Mother Jones (because of the hat).

Marilyn's out: both the dress code and "historical significance" factor, though she's highly recognizable! Lucielle Ball might work though: she had a longer impact, and her production company was pretty groundbreaking.... plus her dress was modest!
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    http://www.lkwdpl.org/wihohio/figures.htm

Here's a link for Women in history.. Molly Brown might be a good one, she survived the Titanic. What grades are you dressing for? Might help to know who they should have learned about so far.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Jackie O

Audrey Hepburn

Lucille Ball

Florence Nightengale

Statue of Liberty