What is a good heart rate to burn fat?

Options
:smile: I am day two at a gym, which I am trying a workout regiment on my own. I wonder what is a good heart rate to maintain to burn fat, and since I am new to the gym, how long do I have to maintain that heart rate? I am sure it has a lot of factors, with age, weight, but is there an easy formula to figure it out?

Replies

• katymambros
    katymambros Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html has a few different ways that you can figure out your own personal heart rate for fat loss. I hope this helps! So happy for you, estas echando muchisimas ganas!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There is no specific heart rate that will ensure burning fat. If you want to lose weight most of that will come from your diet. If you want to maintain lean body mass while losing weight then exercise, especially weight lifting. Exercise is more for fitness than it is for losing weight. You'll never out exercise a bad diet.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit burns fat. Not sure if your HR has anything to do with it but keeping you HR up there definitly helps get to a deficit quicker and easier. The aerobic zone is 70 to 80 percent of your max which your max is probably around 220-37=183*.8=146 BPM.
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html has a few different ways that you can figure out your own personal heart rate for fat loss. I hope this helps! So happy for you, estas echando muchisimas ganas!

Great link! Thx Katy!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ignore HR zones, just pay attention to cals burned. the more cals burned.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The aerobic/anaerobic mechanisms have to do with how your body gets energy while doing physical activity. It has little bearing on net weight loss, especially when this activity accounts for 1/24, or less than 5%, of your day. Apples and oranges. Weight loss occurs when your body has to break down existing tissue to meet other energy and nutrient needs that are more important. It also occurs outside of the strenuous activity period.

If you are exercising to increase the energy needed vs energy consumed mismatch, burn as much energy as possible. To maximize energy consumed in exercise, you need as high a heart rate as you can physically handle for as long as you can handle it.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    there is no set HR that will burn more fat than others, just keep an eye for cals burnt and try to include resistance trainging into your workout to keep hold of more LBM and burn more fat.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm a great believer in "fat burn" cardio and my bpm is 120-130 its a good fast walk pace.
    If you goto the gym they normally have a label on the machine and you look at your age on the label and it will tell you the range.
    At a guess I would say 125-135 Bpm as you are younger than me.

However the best way is "how you eat" "cal deficit" using your metabolism to burn the fat
  • waynetedwards
    waynetedwards Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ignore HR zones, just pay attention to cals burned. the more cals burned.

yeah pay attention to what a machine or a pedometer assumes you are burning vs what your heart rate is currently working at for a duration of time. Makes sense, do you have a website, or any best selling nutrition books I should read, maybe a supplement line. Surely with information like that everyone will be set on the right path.

To the OP, do some research on hiit and miss training, don't become a cardio bunny and run your way to skinny fat either. moderation and intensity clearly are key. But also discovering how much you actually need to see changes

http://www.strengthcoach.com/public/1766.cfm
  • katymambros
    katymambros Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh, no problem, anytime! If I stumble onto something good, I like to share it with others who may benefit from it as well.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I recommend anything above zero for the most beneficial results.
  • rlongfel
    rlongfel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate ABSOLUTELY makes a difference. Do NOT listen to anyone that tells you otherwise. That's the problem with open forums. You really don't know who to believe. Here's a pretty good post on it that is fairly easy to understand. Bottom line is that there's no "easy" way out, but by working out smarter, you can burn fat more "effeciently."

http://www.builtlean.com/2013/04/01/fat-burning-zone-myth/
  • glamasjr
    glamasjr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Exercise will only give you about 20% of your results. Diet is key and the ultimate factor. If you follow the 50% protein 30% carbs and 20% fats plan then you'll be set to go. As mentioned before, you can't out do a bad diet. Just exercise at a comfortable level without over doing it and you'll see some great results. Good luck, and if you wish you can ad me as a friend...cheers.