some help on 'in place of a road map' please

Options
Hi

I'm sure you're all completely fed up of questions about this subject now, but if you could help me clear one thing up, I would be very grateful.

I have started this plan this week as my loss is virtually stalling. my info is below (as I have worked it out):

Female
47 yrs
222 lbs
5ft 6 tall

BMR1751
TDDE 2405
Body fat 39%

Exercise level sedentary - I wear a FITBIT and this is where my main query lies

Daily calories at 1850

Today I have eaten 1500 calories (I like to leave a 100 or so spare for discrepancies with logging) and feel quite comfortable. However my fitbit has me burning some 650 calories which means I have netted 850 - I know with this way of going that you generally don't eat back exercise calories, but I am having a bit of a senior moment as I was led to believe that it is dangerous to net below your BMR.

Any advice anyone could offer would be gratefully received - also on whether my macros are realistic, as previously I have only really looked at calories in and out

Thank you:flowerforyou:

Replies

• itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You really should eat above your BMR... I have a Fitbit as well, but I don't rely on what it says I've burned since it's not a heart rate monitor.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose there is no issue netting under your BMR, now netting 850, I would not recommend though. MFP suggests a minimum of 1200 net, maybe stick with that so Net between 1200 and your 1800 and you should be fine.

Since you are using sedentary setting and logging exercise separately why not just use MFP's calculator, set your goal to lose 1.5lbs/week set at sedentary and eat back the cals burned. TDEE is meant to include exercise, so you are mixing and matching 2 methods.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose there is no issue netting under your BMR, now netting 850, I would not recommend though. MFP suggests a minimum of 1200 net, maybe stick with that so Net between 1200 and your 1800 and you should be fine.

Since you are using sedentary setting and logging exercise separately why not just use MFP's calculator, set your goal to lose 1.5lbs/week set at sedentary and eat back the cals burned. TDEE is meant to include exercise, so you are mixing and matching 2 methods.

^^Yup, all of this.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    There's a place on your FitBit account that allows you to set your calorie intake as "personalized"...this might help determine exactly what you should be eating versus what you're burning. However, my FitBit has kept me RIGHT inline with my goals on MFP!

I am now on maintenance, but at the beginning, I set my MFP goal to my BMR. That way I made sure that I was at least netting that amount. :)

Good luck!
  • stumegsmum
    Options
    thanks Beka - I did do this originally but without the BMR level, think I need to redo my goals on here and fitbit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You really should eat above your BMR... I have a Fitbit as well, but I don't rely on what it says I've burned since it's not a heart rate monitor.
    A heart rate monitor would be even more useless than a fitbit for figuring out all day calorie burn. At least a fitbit is designed for the purpose.
  • stumegsmum
    Options
    thank you all for your help - as always there are very useful suggestions for me to take on board. Looking forward to the continued support and help from MPFer's :heart: