Exercise and Butts

Options
So...despite the stereotypes, I'm a black girl with no *kitten*! :-( What is the truth about exercise and building a butt? Can you truly go from flat to firm and round with just traditional exercise? I have an apple shape that I'm hoping is less defined when I drop all of this weight but how do I work on building a booty? I just want my body to feel more proportionate in my clothes and look good in jeans. I don't need J-Lo or Serena assets. Help me folks!

Replies

• Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I think it can be lifted and firmed by doing things like weighted squats and lunges. I'm black and things weren't as firm and lifted before, but it's getting much better I think! (My b/a are in my profile)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Brazilian butt works.
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I definlitey would be intersted to know cause I am totally butless. No bump i have straight flap jacks over here
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Good topic! Bookmarked 4 later!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You can do Strong Curves or read bretcontreras.com (the glute guy).

With heavy weights: Hip thrusts, Glute bridges, deadlifts, squats, glute kick backs or quadruped hip extensions, lunges or split squats, high step ups, abduction.

You can't change your genetics, but you can still make changes and improvements of what you've got.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Squat. Deadlift. BAM.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, glute bridges. All with weights.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sure, if "traditional exercise" includes "heavy squats".
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Squats, squats, squats....and more squats
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Butt Bible and squats.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My BFF and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum...I have much booty, and she has little to none. Funny, enough, the excercises are the same for us both. Squats, lunges, wall sits, biking, bridges, burpees...All tone, tighten, lift and build muscle.
  • mzteebell
    mzteebell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said squats. and anyone who mentioned deadlifts too
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Well I am a typical white English pear shaped girl who until recently had a very flat bum (its all in the hips and thighs for me)

I have been learning proper form for squatting and doing lunges and they have seriously helped. I actually HAVE a butt now. I'm so happy, and I'm going to continue to grow it :)

I do my lunges (20 on each leg) once a day, and do sets of squats whenever I remember several times through the day, like when boiling the kettle etc.

Hope you find something that works :)
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I forgot about deadlifts and glute bridges with weights, a pp mentioned those. Do them! Take befores, I think you'll see some change.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts and lunges

with weight
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    In addition to BinaryPulsar's list... donkey kicks, fire hydrants, speed skaters/sliders, supermans, more squats (there are several variation - sumo, plie, hindu, single leg, etc etc)
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue ever since I've had kids my tushy ran off and left :( I do have several workouts I can give you ( all doing weight training). I'll message you later when I get home :)
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Squats, some yoga poses, bridge, walking at a steep incline, cycling... Lots of options, and yes, you can build muscle there!
  • openexpression
    openexpression Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Naomi! You look great! I hope I can look that good after kids...I don't even have one yet! Smh...