* Help I have a pinched nerve -buns n right leg*

Options
What' kind of exercise can I do? I did cycling and running yesturday which may not have been a good idea because its feeling more num. I need some advice to help and get rid of the sensation, doctors still aren t much help right now, I need some exercise or what I can strength train. I hate this. I really don't want to put on weight cuz I can't workout.:sad:

Thanks

Replies

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Stretch it out. Look for leg stretches online. Maybe take some calcium, or even tums (have calcium), to relax your muscles. Take a hot bath and relax there for a while. Try placing a hot water bottle on the area that hurts. Self-massage your muscles, or get a friend, relative, or someone close to you to massage the area for you.

A good stretch for buns is to lay down on your back with your knees bent. Place your right ankle/foot on your left knee, like you're crossing your legs, but in a "manly" way. Now slowly pull your left thigh toward your chest, with your ankle still resting on your knee, and feel the gentle stretch in your right bun. Hold about 30 seconds, repeat on the other side, and then do the set on both sides 3 times in total.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    forget the doctors, you really need to see a Chiropractor for that pinched nerve.
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    yikes!
    that sounds like it may be your sciatic nerve, which isn't good.
    Definitely go see your chiropractor!! ASAP!
  • Steph_135
    Options
    forget the doctors, you really need to see a Chiropractor for that pinched nerve.
    I second. The exercise I described was given to me by my chiropractor. If you're a student or alumni, you can probably go to your school for affordable treatment. If you work, hopefully your job offers some coverage of the costs. Look into it for sure!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Chiro is excellent advice! Streching is good advice unless you feel sharp pain then don't stretch. Massage is good advice too, both Chiro treatment and a massage that will address your lower back issues. If you get a swedish/relaxtion massage you will be wasting your money. Need massage to address your pain specifically. It would be a good combo chiro then massage.

Walking is an exercise that is low impact on the back. It can cause stress if you push it too much. So just remember to be balance until your core muscles become stronger. Build those core/abs as much as possible.

Self-massage - Get a tennis ball. On a firm surface, lay on the tennis ball or lean on the ball against the wall. Your lower back region and your glutes. If it feels sharp, maintain pressure unless its intolerable. The sharpness should decrease, if it increases then move to another spot.

Icing is good for back pain when the pain is sharp, indication of inflammation. So don't use HEAT!

Hope info helps!

;-)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Chiropractor asap. Along with the exercise mentioned above, while in the same position (ankle on knee while on your back) gently push your knee (the raised ankle one) away from you towards the floor, hold for 5 seconds 3 times. Regular doctors won't often give you medication for it, and orthopedic docs will want to inject steroids where you probably don't want them. All that does is hide the pain and not fix the problem. Also an ice pack will help with the inflamation.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Icing is good for back pain when the pain is sharp, indication of inflammation. So don't use HEAT!
    Heat relaxes muscles, so I guess that would be a bad call in this case. Ice is good.
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My chiro told me to stretch my hamstrings daily...but not the old fashioned P.E. bend over and touch your toes way. Sit on the edge of the bed or couch with one foot on the floor and one stretched out down the bed etc. Gently lean forward...not over...forward. Keep your body in a 90 degree angle...we aren't talking much movement here...and your leg straight. You should feel the stretch. Do this morning and evening. Also, he recommended walking and moderate yoga for building the muscles in my hip joint b/c that's where my pinched nerve comes from.

Find you a GOOD chiropractor. Ask to see their diploma..or get recommendations from someone in the area. A good one will take x-rays before they even touch you. My chiropractor is the only one who got me functioning again. Good luck!
  • tinyliz
    tinyliz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I will be seeing a chiropracter this week and hopefully see some results in a good way.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    A good one will take x-rays before they even touch you. My chiropractor is the only one who got me functioning again. Good luck!
    I think x-rays should only be taken when needed. My chiropractor was excellent, and I never had x-rays.