Any food tips while watching football all day Saturday?

Options
I find myself struggling to eat well when watching college football. I'm trying to change that, last week I had fresh stir-fry vegetables with lean beef (sirloin).

I'm trying to avoid pizza and fried wings. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• theguy12
    Options
    If you have to eat pizza eat thin crust and veggies only. The biggest thing isn't eliminating pizza all together - it's only having 1 slice (maybe 2). Order the medium instead of large pizza and only have a 1-2 slices. Portion control.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I find myself struggling to eat well when watching college football. I'm trying to change that, last week I had fresh stir-fry vegetables with lean beef (sirloin).

I'm trying to avoid pizza and fried wings. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Try to have healthful snacks around during the game. (nuts, pickles, crab dip with celery sticks, boiled shrimp, etc. can be options). Planning ahead can help.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    Here are some ideas for you.

Mix up some egg salad with a little mayo, some pickle relish, and a tablespoon of mustard added to chopped boiled eggs ( I grate mine on the largest hole of a box grater, saves time.) I sometimes grate a carrot into the egg salad although my husband protests. then use some raw veggies to dip up the egg salad. I think organic carrots taste better than regular, so for this occasion treat yourself to some organic veggies that you like to celebrate being so good.

Make up some black bean dip , with fork mashed black beans, greek yogurt, chopped onions. Sprinkle a little sharp grated cheddar cheese on that and bake it in the oven. I think my recipe for Black Bean Dip Kramalicious is posted here . If you can't find it then send me a message and I'll post it again. That stuff is the shizzle! You can eat it with veggies or the chips, bread or tortillas of your choice. You get some nice nutrition along with major tastiness with this.

I like getting lots of protein or fiber in while doing TV munching, it fills you up.

Or, you can fire up the grill before the game, grill some chicken or a small steak, and cut it up into bite size pieces and eat it with toothpicks. Or, grill some skinless wings or thighs and season them while they're on the grill. I am trying to eat less grains so this is what works for me. Hope it helps! Enjoy the game!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Make your snacks at home instead of ordering pizza etc.

veggie trays with greek yogurt dip
    home made nachos
    home made thin crust pizza
    mini sandwiches or wraps

I also like the idea someone else suggested of making your own bean dip or bbq some wings up on the grill!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I make my own buffalo chicken dip and eat it with celery and gluten free grain chips (Late July sea salt ones are killer).

To make the dip:

4 wedges Laughing Cow Light blue cheese wedges
    2 cups 2% Fage greek yogurt plain
    1/2 packet ranch dip mix (powdered)
    6 tablespoons hot sauce (or wing sauce)
    10oz boiled chicken breast, cooked and shredded
    1 cup skim mozzarella cheese or 2% pepper jack
    Mix all together and bake 375 for 30 minutes, then 5 minutes under the broiler.
    Makes 6 servings at ~250 calories each serving (its a big serving), lots of protein and not that bad for you!
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's all in getting it prepared before the games start. I like to prepare finger foods for our football Sundays. I usually bake chicken wings for my husband, have veggies cut up with dip, tortilla chips with either salsa or guacamole, black bean wraps, sweet potato fries. If I get it all done the day before or in the morning, there's nothing to do but watch football and no temptation to run to the quick, bad for me stuff.
  • mtbwell
    Options
    Yummy! These options all sound like wonderful and delicious alternatives.

Thanks!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Or, eat well the rest of the week, work out and enjoy the pizza and beer. Sorry man, life is too short to not have pizza and beer while watching football.
  • mtbwell
    Options
    The problem with that is my Sunday workout would be hellacious. I'm trying avoid feeling sluggish and I definitely don't need any setbacks while I'm on a roll.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    The problem with that is my Sunday workout would be hellacious. I'm trying avoid feeling sluggish and I definitely don't need any setbacks while I'm on a roll.

I still don't get it man. I'm not saying you have to eat a whole pizza and drink a 12-pack of Guiness. Have a couple of slices and a couple of beers. That's not going to ruin everything and you won't have to kill yourself to make up for it. I give myself a cheat meal 1-2 times a week and eat well/work out the rest of the week. If you try to avoid everything you love for the rest of your life, you're going to have a hard time sustaining your success in my opinion. Everything in moderation. A couple of slices of pepperoni pizza and a Bud Light or two ain't gonna kill you.
  • JediMatt
    JediMatt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We've tried these so far with pretty good success:

- popcorn (popped in 1 tablespoon of canola oil, topped with one of those flavored seasoning things instead of butter)
    - homemade guacamole (avocado, garlic, lemon juice, hot sauce) or salsa - chips are the real danger with this one
    - shrimp cocktail (not much bad here)

So far we've been able to snack during games without too much guilt. :)
  • rochellewilson70
    Options
    bump
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

I still don't get it man. I'm not saying you have to eat a whole pizza and drink a 12-pack of Guiness. Have a couple of slices and a couple of beers. That's not going to ruin everything and you won't have to kill yourself to make up for it. I give myself a cheat meal 1-2 times a week and eat well/work out the rest of the week. If you try to avoid everything you love for the rest of your life, you're going to have a hard time sustaining your success in my opinion. Everything in moderation. A couple of slices of pepperoni pizza and a Bud Light or two ain't gonna kill you.

If he has a steak (last week's choice), that's not denying himself.

I'm guessing the issue here is he gets on a roll with the games and things like pizza and wings (high fat+salt) get demolished. As in, the intake is not moderate. If he goes with lean protein and some lower-fat snacks, he won't have to think about moderating intake while he's enjoying the games.

If he's watching half of some random game he doesn't care about on Friday night - that's a good time for a couple slices of pizza and crap beer. Just a lot easier to be moderate in some situations.
  • Foxyale
    Options
    Hi! I love the tips about egg salad. Here is a great switch we have made in our egg salad and we love it. Instead of mayo, we use avocado. It makes it creamy the way mayo was, but is a nice substitute, lower calorie. Can't wait to try your bean dip!
  • samammay
    Options
    I make a turkey chili that is great for games.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Lots of good recipes here.........

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/recipe-index.html
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    An example....

Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites

Servings: 6 • Size: about 1 cup cauliflower • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 119.4 • Fat: 2 g • Protein: 4 g • Carb: 21.4 g • Fiber: 3 g • Sugar: 0.2 g
    Sodium: 1172 mg

Ingredients:

1 cup water
    1 cup all purpose flour
    2 tsp garlic powder
    22 oz (6 1/2 cups) cauliflower florets
    3/4 cup Franks Hot Sauce
    1 tbsp melted unsalted butter

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly spray a large non-stick baking sheet with oil.

Combine the water, flour, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir until well combined.

Coat the cauliflower pieces with the flour mixture and place on the baking sheet; bake for 20 minutes.

While the cauliflower is baking, combine the hot sauce and butter in a small bowl.

Pour the hot sauce mixture over the baked cauliflower and continue baking for an additional 5 minutes. Serve with skinny blue cheese dressing if desired and celery sticks.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

He said no, dude. Go nibble on your own single slice of pizza for 3 hours.

OP don't forget the popcorn with the other ideas suggested above. Air pop some kernels and spray with that 0 cal butter spray to make the salt stick. You could munch on that between the meals above. Also, Walden Farms makes dressings and dips and all of them are 0 cal, 0 carb, 0 fat, 0 sugar, 0 gluten. I don't know how they do it, but they taste fantastic. My kids love dipping sliced apples in the caramel dip and broccoli florets in the blue cheese and ranch dressings. Check a grocery store that has a dedicated gluten-free section in one of the aisles. That's where you'll find it.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    An example....

Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites

Servings: 6 • Size: about 1 cup cauliflower • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 119.4 • Fat: 2 g • Protein: 4 g • Carb: 21.4 g • Fiber: 3 g • Sugar: 0.2 g
    Sodium: 1172 mg

Ingredients:

1 cup water
    1 cup all purpose flour
    2 tsp garlic powder
    22 oz (6 1/2 cups) cauliflower florets
    3/4 cup Franks Hot Sauce
    1 tbsp melted unsalted butter

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly spray a large non-stick baking sheet with oil.

Combine the water, flour, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir until well combined.

Coat the cauliflower pieces with the flour mixture and place on the baking sheet; bake for 20 minutes.

While the cauliflower is baking, combine the hot sauce and butter in a small bowl.

Pour the hot sauce mixture over the baked cauliflower and continue baking for an additional 5 minutes. Serve with skinny blue cheese dressing if desired and celery sticks.

I am going to give this a go tomorrow for a test run LOL
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump