Gallbladder Issues

Options
Hi everyone. Long time user, first time poster! I thought I'd try these message boards for support about some gallbladder issues I've been having since I've seen some great support go out to others!

I had my first ever 'gallbladder attack' about 5 years ago while I was at university and have had them on and off since then. I've had 3 in the space of a week, and I've also gone months with no pain whatsover. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with gallstones after a particularly bad attack in January. 26 hours of pain, codeine, valium, nothing would shift it. The consultant scheduled me in to get my gallbladder removed and since then I've postponed two surgery dates.

The hospital have obviously had enough and scheduled me an appointment on the 21st of September, but as i'm crazy busy with work and social things, I'm reluctant to take time off for recovery. I've also been doing a lot of research and though I understand people turn to the internet when things go wrong, there do seem to be a lot of issues to do with digestive problems after removal (I was especially upset to learn that some people end up completely intolerant to alcohol!)

On top of that I've not had any pain AT ALL in 9 months. I'm not sure if that's due to doing more exercise, becoming pescetarian and losing 20lbs, or if i'm just in 'off season'. I've certainly had nights of excess in the space of that time and I've had no bloating, pain or any bad symptoms at all.

I'm in two minds about surgery because on one hand, it is preventative and removes the fear of gallstones getting worse. On the other hand, I feel perfectly healthy and I don't want to go messing with organs and my digestive system if I don't have to.

I'm fine with having a low fat diet afterwards as I follow a relatively low fat diet already, but the thought of rushing to the toilet immediately after having an alcoholic drink or slice of pizza really depresses me. I'm only 22 and I'm really settled into my diet and exercise plan, I'd hate for it to get ruined.

I was wondering what others experiences of gallbladder removal have been? Were you unable to eat certain foods or drink alcohol after having your gallbladder removed? How quickly did you recover? (I have a weekend away booked 10 days after my surgery is scheduled that I've been looking forward to all year).

I know that my health comes first and that's precisely why I'm asking. I don't want to cause myself issues if diet and exercise seems to be keeping problems at bay.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Replies

• running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed 4 months ago. Like you i was deliberating and unsure as i hadn't had them in a few months but THEN i had a 48 hour attack which turned into pancreatitis when the gall.stone hopped into the pancreatic duct. This is fatal for 1 in 5 cases. The removal was done in a hurry once they confirmed the stone was not blocking my pancreas anymore. I was in dire pain and starved for days because of numerous scans.

overall, barring the 3 weeks i wasn't allowed to run. It was the best thing that ever happened. I'm the fittest and strongest ive ever been and i can know that i will never get bilial colic again. I know how debilitating it is, i couldn't even look after my two very young children when it came on.

if i had to make the decision again i would have got it done with no hesitation. This is with the benefit of hindsight.

best of luck :)
  • running_free_1984
    Options
    I have absolutely no problems eating anything. Naturally after a week of starvation it took me a couple of weeks to get totally back to normal but then pancreatitis is truly awful.
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i see the surgeon on October 1st and if he wants to take my gallbladder out he can. I have gallstones, I had a bad attack a couple of weeks ago and then another last week after eating rich foods at a buffet/dinner. Usually I eat healthy. My doctor told me to avoid alcohol altogether which is tough as I enjoy a glass of red wine now and again. If I was you I would get it out you don't really need it
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello! I had my gallbladder removed five years ago, at age 23. I also had experienced terrible attacks that would come on frequently (up to 3x/week), and then would go away for months. Very frustrating. I decided to go through with the surgery, and I am really, really glad I did. My surgery was laproscopic - meaning I had four tiny (< 0.5") incisions on my abdomen. The pain was severe the day of the surgery and the day after, but codeine took care of it (like you, any codeine variant had zero effect on the pain caused by the attacks). The only difficulty for me was not being able to use my core muscles for a few days - my boyfriend (now husband) had to help me out of bed to go to the bathroom, etc. This was gone in a couple days. My surgery was on a Friday early afternoon, and I was back at work the following Wednesday morning. As far as surgeries go, it was easy. The incisions took some time to heal, and you do need to be mindful of not lifting heavy things for a bit afterward. I remember I moved to graduate school eight days after my surgery and it left me in quite a bit of pain, but that was a lot of lifting/walking that I absolutely should not have been doing.

As for afterward, I found that I didn't need to drastically change my diet. I was at a healthy weight and ate healthy prior to my surgery (since fried foods and ice cream caused the attacks, which I was trying to avoid). I was actually able to eat more fats after my surgery than I could before, which I suppose is a benefit. I still am a bit fat-intolerant, and I get cramping if I eat too much of anything too heavy, particularly foods high in saturated fats. You will learn what your body can and cannot handle. I have a friend who had the same surgery and eats cheeseburgers and fries with no discomfort, so there's quite a range in resulting eating habits post-surgery. I also drink alcohol with no problem.

Hope this helps!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i had mine out. you wont be layed up much it was a day surgery. i have a tiny scare from it but i was up walking the next day as far as exercise you might have to do light work out. so theres nothing to fear except when you come back to planet earth. i was complaing i couldn't feel my legs but it was the drugs talking
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I had mine out at age 25. Best thing ever.

I had mine done on a Friday, back at work the following Monday.

No issues with any food or alcohol.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yep, I was fine enough to work in under a week.

It all happened pretty fast I thought my appendix had burst or something I was in so much pain.

I would recommend it to anyone who's doc suggested it, a severe attack is a nightmare.

And after the surgery I stopped having to modify my diet, there was nothing to set off attacks anymore.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I have a family member who had his out in his early 20s. He has to take cholestyramine binders to avoid having diarrhea now, but tolerates alcohol fine. If he doesn't take his binders at the same time every morning, he can't stray far from the house when he finally does eat, until he gets it out of his system. It may be that if he just wouldn't eat so high fat, he wouldn't have that problem, but he's otherwise healthy, so I leave him alone about it.

He was up and around and actually learned to kneeboard (like waterski) two weeks post-surgery, so I wouldn't worry too much about the recovery period.

I have another friend who had hers out in her 30s a couple of years ago, and she has not mentioned any untoward side effects afterwards.

Pancreatitis is horrible and painful. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed 6 years ago after a painful attack. My doctor told me not to wait so I had it out pretty much immediately. I haven't ever had a problem with eating anything since then and I've felt just fine. The surgery was in and out the same day and I was walking around my backyard that same afternoon! They made 3 tiny incisions to get in there and remove it, and those incisions literally can't even be seen today. Piece of cake for me! It would probably be wise to listen to your doctor's advice. Recovery time was literally only a few days at best.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Went into pancreatitis was hospatilzed for 7 days...best surgery of my life. I think it is such a worthwhile surgery there is no sense in being in pain when you can do something about it.

Never had issues afterwards,and back to classes a week later.

Discuss with your doctor and what you want out of your quality of life, but personally I say get it!

Question for the ladies who have also given birth. I've heard gallbladder attack and pancreatitis is worse than giving birth is that true?
  • running_free_1984
    Options
    Went into pancreatitis was hospatilzed for 7 days...best surgery of my life. I think it is such a worthwhile surgery there is no sense in being in pain when you can do something about it.

Never had issues afterwards.

Discuss with your doctor and what you want out of your quality of life, but personally I say get it!

Another who experienced the complication of gall stones. I've never experienced anything like pancreatitis and never want to again. Saying that having given birth with no pain relief!
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed 10 years ago, recovery time was short. I could eat or drink pretty much anything, i used to have the bacon cheeseburger from Jack in the Box for breakfast after a night of clubbing when I worked the next day. Every now and then I would have some issues after drinking, but it's rare.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Never had issues afterwards.

Another who experienced the complication of gall stones. I've never experienced anything like pancreatitis and never want to again. Saying that having given birth with no pain relief!

24 weeks pregnant here. So the pain of pancreatitis was way worse than birth? I can remember laying on my bed then thinking I was ready to die.

If I can get through that then birth will hopefully be easier...crosses fingers
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 4 years ago, I bounced back really well, I replaced the vicodin with Advil after two days and I was pretty much up and around after that. I was a little tired but that's to be expected.

ETA: I was eventually able to eat just about anything although sometimes high fat foods would not sit well with me.
  • susannakaysen
    susannakaysen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think i'll just go in for the chop and avoid reading horror stories online, everyone on here seems to have had a far better experience. As much as I love red wine, I think I love not having pancreatitis more (although it's a close one). Prevention is better than cure right?

Also, my mum had gallbladder attacks and five children. She said the gallbladder attack was the worst pain she'd ever experienced. If you can deal with that pain, you can deal with anything!
  • amyelgie
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 20 (I'm 32 now). I had gallstone attacks when I was pregnant with my daughter and ended up with pancreatitis. Two weeks after she was born I went in and had it removed. For me it was emergency surgery, so I didn't really have a choice, but I would have done it regardless. I was release from the hospital 3 days later. I took two weeks to recover than went back to work, but that was a personal decision (due to having a new baby). I have only had problems with eating foods with high fat content, so I avoid them now. Alcohol was never a problem for me. I hope that helps.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I started having pain at 30 after losing 80lbs very fast. I had so much pain, and went undiagnosed, as I was not, fat fair and forty. Finally, my great dr, stated I bet it is your gallbladder, it was. I had it removed laprascopically (sp) and have never had an issue since. The surgery was painful for one day after. I feel it was worth it!:bigsmile:
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    I am 23 and I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago. I was not yet on a healthy path and blew up to 215 pounds after the surgery. The next 6 months after the surgery were full of IBS...I had bad gas with almost anything I ate and had to go to the bathroom within minutes of a meal. I even had what felt like another gallbladder attack!

However, when I started getting healthy in early 2012, these issues lessened greatly. I'm willing to bet that I'm still gasser than most people, but I haven't had much pain associated with it. I can even indulge in the occasional fatty meal and not feel the consequences that I was sure to feel when I was always eating unhealthy. As for alcohol, I still drink and haven't experienced too many issues with it. When I drink too much I do tend to have an upset stomach the next day, but drinking too much in general is bad for anyone.

The short and skinny of it is that if you live a healthy lifestyle, I think you'll be okay! If your stomach gives you issues for the first few months, this is to be expected. Your body will adapt. Good luck :]
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Get the surgery done. I let mine go, and then I ended up hospitalized with pancreatitis, and my liver was going insane. Laparoscopic surgery was a breeze, and from the time I was admitted to the ER in agony until I returned to work, I was only out a month (I work a highly physical job,) and the only issue I've ever had is a bit of pain (like a side stitch) when I run, that subsides after about 5 minutes.
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just had my gallbladder removed in June of this year. It was done laparoscopic with 4 small incisions. I did it and then left for a month vacation out of state a week later. What I didn't realize that if for some reason there were complications and they ended up having to do a traditional abdominal incision the recovery period would have meant my vacation would have been cancelled. After the surgery I continued with a low fat diet for about a week just to play it safe. I have no issues with fat or alcohol intake at all now that the gallbladder is gone.

I wish I did this earlier. I was misdiagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome for 20 years. I put up with pain, cramping, horrible back pain, and diarrhea for that time period. I was told it was due to anxiety, back issues, ribs popping out of place, or just plain IBS.

When they finally did an ultrasound of the abdomen they said the gallbladder was filled up with gallstones and the gallbladder walls were very thickened due to years of inflammation and multiple attacks. Having the gallbladder taken out was the best thing ever for me. I can now exercise because I am no longer in frequent pain.