Is the Polar FT7 a good choice for a HRM?

Options
After about eight years of a very sedentary lifestyle, I've decided it's time to take the plunge and get back into shape. I've been doing research on healthy eating and exercise habits and discovered MFP a few days ago. So far, I love the app and I think it's going to be incredibly useful.

The only thing I'm unsure of with the app is the calculated calories burned -- I have serious doubts that what MFP calculates is accurate, so I'd like to get a HRM. I know there are a gazillion threads on the forum about this very topic (I read a few dozen!), but most of them are kind of old and I want to make sure I'm getting up-to-date advice.

From what I read, it seems like the Polar FT7 is the best bang for the buck. For exercise, I'm planning on doing mostly jogging, with some strength training on the side. Is the Polar FT7 still a good choice, or is there something newer that is better?

Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Hi. Congratulations on deciding make a healthier life for you. I would suggest going to the polar website and taking their "quiz". It asks you a series of questions about what you want a HRM to do and will give you suggestions of what will fit your life/fitness goals. I have the polar FT60. It works like a fitness computer that gives me goals each week about how hard I should be training based on my fitness level and goals (weight loss, improve fitness or maximize fitness).

Good Luck and Enjoy the journey.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I just got mine back in April. I love it. I wear it for strength training, biking, walking, jogging, rower. It was the best choice for me.
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7. I have literally used it at least once per day every day since April 2012. The calories that the various sites propose are way off for my actual burn. I burn much less because I weigh less. If I used the numbers on the sites I would be 20 pounds heavier, lol. What a way to cheat, eh??? Seriously, it's been a good purchase for me. I havent' had any problems with the strap as long as I clean it with soap and water after use and put it in the laundry once per week. I have had to replace the battery once - something the local watch repair kiosk in the mall took care of. I do wish I would have gotten a model that measures distance. This one does not. Especially if you are running you may want to think about that. Good luck on your journey!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hi. Congratulations on deciding make a healthier life for you. I would suggest going to the polar website and taking their "quiz". It asks you a series of questions about what you want a HRM to do and will give you suggestions of what will fit your life/fitness goals.
    Great advice. Everyone needs a different tool depending on their needs.
    Good Luck and Enjoy the journey.

mcf97o.gif