What to make for thanksgiving

Options
ashtonscoggins
ashtonscoggins Posts: 105 Member
we are having friends over for thanksgiving and I don't want to serve salad only :p . The holidays always get me! It's all day eating so I want to make tasty, low cal, healthy food for the holidays.

So what do you plan on making?

Replies

• andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Something we are planning on making are sweet potato fries. You can cut the potatoes into fry shapes or just slice the potato into 1/2 inch circles. Place them flat on a baking sheet. Spray a little olive oil on them. Sprinkle them with a mixture of cinnamon and a sweetner (I use splenda). Then bake them. I think for 20 minutes (?) Check them on and off because I forget how long to leave them in -- it's approximately 15-20 minutes I'm pretty sure. These are a fall food for me, and I haven't really made them since last year! .. But they are delicious... like eating a dessert!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Lots of roasted vegetables, as they are beautiful, tasty and healthy. Your choice of carrots, asparagus, broccoli, eggplant, onions, sweet potatoes, etc....drizzled with olive oil and lightly sprinkled with salt and pepper, and seasoned heavier with your favorite herb - mine would be rosemary and garlic. You can't go wrong!
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It can't be thanksgiving without turkey. just make sure your plate is more veggie then anything else. That with roasted veggies is REALLY good. My parents have done that in the past and it's always a pleaser.

Be mindful of how much you eat and how much salt you use. I'm a big fan of fresh herbs. Try a herb lettuce mix instead of romaine or iceberg lettuce for a different salad. my family likes that.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Last year I put out a fresh veggie plate with ranch dip (low caorie they don't have to know) and my family liked it........hey what about baked potaoes....We have been using greek yogrut instead of sour cream and my husband loves it....Also I think you could make a dip for veggies with the yogrut.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    It's going to be just my husband and I and I'm not cooking a huge turkey just for the two of us! Instead, I'm going to cook up a Jennie O Roasted Garlic and Herb Turkey Breast Tenderloin; it's 100 cals for 4 oz and 23g of protein. Along with roasted potatoes and carrots, it will be a great tasting, low-cal meal!
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    We all go to my parent's for Thanksgiving, i offered to make something 'different', some roasted veggies or something, I figured since i lived near the City Market, i could pick up something different every day this week, and roast them up Saturday, then on Sunday i would only have to reheat it when i go out.

But Mom said no. Make an apple crumble, so that is what i am taking. We usually have mashed potatoes, mashed squash, boiled carrots, turkey, and Stove-Top stuffing, along with Mom's home made pickles. Usually my older sister does an apple and/or pumpkin pie, and my younger sister brings the stuffing.

I'm usually not allowed to bring something, because I "can't cook" since i like to think outside the box when cooking (so do my sister's but they tone it down for dinner's at home).

Thanksgiving is about seeing the family, anyway. Some of the family i have not seen since Easter or even Christmas. Mama's the kitchen boss, so i just eat what is there! It is all healthy, just so long as i do not eat massive amounts, i will be fine :-)
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options
    We always go to my mother in laws for Thanksgiving Dinner, But on Black Friday i cook for my Husband and kids. I just Do up a turkey breast.....i think im going to skip the stuffing this year....which my family will hate! I will still do the "candied" sweet potatos, but i will use splenda Brown Sugar. Also losts of veggies.....broccoli, cauliflour, zuchz.....all the good stuff....lol kids will hate that too! I cant seem to go a year without my sweet potato pie, so that will also be on the menu......and cranberry jello. i think thats about it. There are always ways around just about any recipie when cooking for the holidays and sticking to your diet.
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite desserts (which I got from a Weight Watchers recipe book) is a lowfat/lowcal Pumpkin cheesecake! Yummy!!
  • MEK48
    MEK48 Posts: 5
    Options
    Roasted veggies are always good. Try adding parsnips to your roasted veggies. They taste like a really sweet carrot and add such a fall flair to your dish:smile::smile: . Use fresh herbs if you can, it really gives your meal a nice touch.