Heart Rate Monitors...

Options
Hey all, hope you can help me with this...

I know that there are some fine heart rate monitors out there that willaccurately count you calories burnt, but I'm on a very tight budget and can't afford to pay upwards of £50 for one...in fact I've got my eyes on a cheap one from the Argos catalogue thats only about £20...is there a mathematical equation one can use to work out calories burned using your HR?

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, and this is the same formula the heart rate manufacturers use in their equipment. All you need is the average heart rate for your workout, and the length of your workout.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

For the VO2max, unless your pretty fit, I wouldn't use anything higher than 36-38. Mine is 40 & I've been running, biking, etc at high levels for almost a year. If you use 0 as they suggest if unknown, it overestimates IMO. I believe the formula will use like 42.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't know any but I bought my HRM at walmart for $27.....Also on walmart.com there is one with a chest strap for $33......My HRM is fine....it keeps track of calories, HR, and tells you the percentage of your max HR which is very important....I don't know how long you have had that HRM but maybe you could return it.
  • IndyHannah
    IndyHannah Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I got mine from amazon. A polar F6 I think it is and it wasn't more than£50. I would recommend it so much!! I tried getting cheaper ones and it just ended up a waste of money. £50 is a good amount for getting a good one that'll last the distance.

Just re read and realise you don't want to spend that much on one but I still reckon a good one is better as I wasted my money with two cheap ones that didn't work. :-)
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks for your answers guys!

I'm not fit at all but want to start accurately tracking my cals burned...I know so many people say MFP over estimates so badly you see and I don't want to eat more cals than I've actually burned...

IndyHannah, I just want one to see me through till xmas to be honest as I've put a decent one on my xmas wish list to santa claus ;)
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    Try eBay if you want a bargain for the next wee while. I have a polar f11 that is about 3 years old now and its great. It's better to pay a bit more for a decent one that you will use but there are always offers if you search online. I love mine and find it really motivating
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    I've had my Polar FT4 for about a year and am quite satisfied ... I believe it was about $90USD.