In need of motivation/real advice! Please help!

So I've been at my diet for a good one month, haven't lost a pound.
Post open heart surgery....+/- six weeks ago

Jog/Walk/Power Walk 8 miles every week day
Also doing a 30 day squat challenge
Eating 1000-1200 calories (myfitfoods plan)

(I am not able to lift anything or use any upper body strength)

I haven't lost any "real" weight but I did lose an inch off the belly....just caught off guard by the scale....

In the past, when the scale didn't budge, my theory went to "well darn, I haven't lost any weight and I've been giving it my all so I deserve a 530 calorie dark chocolate cupcake" than it goes downhill from there

But now, I've been working harder, even harder to lose weight and I try not to look at the scale, but it's in my head that the scale needs to show results in order to feel results.....

So....any ideas...motivation....harsh advice???

Replies

• SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Try eating more calories 1000 - 1200 is not enough.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Ok. First of all you JUST HAD OPEN HEART SURGERY. Please eat at maintenance to let your body heal for a bit longer. Sure, still exercise if you feel good, but you should NOT be trying to lose weight while you are still healing. I had brain surgery in February and I JUST started eating at a deficit again last week!

Here's my story if you are interested. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/918358-they-cut-my-head-open-your-excuse-is-invalid

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery and weight loss goals, but my kick in the pants says "STOP TRYING TO LOSE RIGHT NOW!"
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,179 Member
    Best thing I could tell you won't lift you for the moment, but bear with me. That inch, especially from around your waistline, is proof that -something- is working. It may not be working in the way you think it should, but weight aside, that inch is progress. You may start slimming down first before the numbers start to catch up, but really, that's not a bad thing! It evens out over the weeks.

I went on a two month plateau. It was kinda induced; I put myself into maintenance mode while I finished with finals, graduated, and got a new job, but when I tried to come back to the "losing side," the scale refused to budge for two solid months. I wasn't measuring back then, and I should have been, because when I finally did start paying attention to the size of my arms and thighs, it was a dramatic difference from my starting points... even though the scale was throwing me off. And though I wanted to quit and say, "Well, I got this far..." I hung in there. I turned it into, "No. I have gotten THIS FAR," and kept going. I even tried to scare myself into moving by putting it in my head that if I quit it would all come right back! :laugh: The scale moved the following week from that moment and has been slowly cutting down numbers since.

Moral of the novel: Don't stop. You're on a road to a better YOU, and going back isn't the way you want to move. Sitting down on the trail can lead to you wanting to go back to what you're comfortable with. Even if the scenery isn't what you thought it would be by Point X, just keep going, You'll find what you're looking for and working toward. Hang in there!:flowerforyou:
  • porkchopss
    porkchopss Posts: 14 Member
    Oh my word! You guys are wonderful!!!!!!!

I needed words of wisdom to put me back down to reality, because I'm insane in the membrane when it comes to my weight!

Thank you! I'm glad I posted this!

xoxo Porkchopss
  • You are getting better. You are getting healthier. Don't hand your power to the scale. Your mindset has started to change. I can relate to being stuck and I have a lot to lose. But once you get that "I am done with this weight" bug......its time to slow down, get in synch with where you want to go, know it is gonna take your time, your learning and your hard work to get the weight moving. Once you start to take some pounds off, you crave it. You cant go back. You stay focused and every day you forgive yourself and keep moving. You will get it! You will!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Open your diary to get useful help.