Running...help!

Options
So I started running again today...started again for the 4th time... I really would just love to be a runner, but I always give up and say "my body just isn't made for running." I get terrible shin splints and my knees and ankles start to hurt and then that's it for me. It take 6-12 months but I always want to go back to it. It's really the perfect workout...30 minutes burns a crap ton of cals, it works all your muscles, it can be done indoors or outdoors, and with or without equipment. Let's see if I can stick with it this time.

I did the Run5K app about 2 years ago and actually got up to running 20 min without stopping (that's huge for me). Then I gave up... BOO! I got the c25k app today. It's similar but a little bit different intervals. I

Motivation please??

Replies

• easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love running too!!, but can't mentally get back 10mins of running 1 min break, and you know what I don't care, that's how I run now, 10mins running 1 min walking, and I do pretty good, I've ran a 60min 10km doing this and am now (with my recent weight gain then loss) am running 5km at 3 mins running and 1 min walk about 37 mins, I find I run faster during my 3 mins than I would if I was running for the whole 40 mins. Give it a try you don't have the run the whole time to enjoy it and to kill a ton of calories :)

Good luck
  • rsj206
    rsj206 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can offer motivation but with a caveat. I went from C25K to running three marathons - everyone has to start somewhere! But it's really easy to start running with bad form or bad shoes and get hurt.

My shin splints lasted about six months from when I first started running to when I could run three miles with no pain. Take it easy, and if you are struggling one week, drop back and repeat the week prior or even skip a week. Listen to your body. Don't rush into running or you will end up dropping it again because you've hurt yourself.

If you haven't already, go to a running shoe store and have them fit you for running shoes. Read Chi Running (I got it from the library) or watch youtube videos to get a sense of good form while running (no knees behind ankles!) Try to run on soft surfaces like a track or trails - it's easier on your bod.

You're right that running is a great exercise, and I think most people can be recreational runners as long as they start slow and take care of themselves!

Edited to add: I most definitely DO NOT have a body "built" for running - I'm a 34F with thighs and a booty! Don't give up.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    This group offers great support:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Get a good pair of running shoes and slow down- best advice I got when I started c25k in April.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    you can do it, I recently started, and love it!
  • Renegade706
    Options
    Kassi I had the same problem with shin splints and a knee problem. I started running sprint intrevals instead of steady state running for about 6 months and it really helped me. Not only did I burn more bodyfat but after 6 months My injuries were better. Not sure why i guess my joints took a lot less pounding running for 20 mins of start and stoppin running instead of 45 mins to an hour. I now jog without pain up to 5-6 miles, but ii still run sprints a couple days a week too. Not saying it will work for everyone but it did me.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think you should power walk for the first 2 weeks and build up you running strength. 1st week 30 mins then second week 1hr then the third week light jog for 30 mins then the 4th week 1hr.

Also try to land on the center/balls of your feet not heel and hold your body upright. Footwear is important too.

If you still have pain then see a doctor
  • MissLisa29
    Options
    So I started running again today...started again for the 4th time... I really would just love to be a runner, but I always give up and say "my body just isn't made for running." I get terrible shin splints and my knees and ankles start to hurt and then that's it for me. It take 6-12 months but I always want to go back to it. It's really the perfect workout...30 minutes burns a crap ton of cals, it works all your muscles, it can be done indoors or outdoors, and with or without equipment. Let's see if I can stick with it this time.

I did the Run5K app about 2 years ago and actually got up to running 20 min without stopping (that's huge for me). Then I gave up... BOO! I got the c25k app today. It's similar but a little bit different intervals. I

Motivation please??

If you're just starting or getting back into it after a long break then for the first week I would suggest walking for a minute, running for a minute and alternate like that for 20-25 mins.... do it for a week... then the next week walk for a min run for 2 or 3 mins and alternate again.... it's best to get into running slowly or you will just burn out and give up.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yoga helps me run. I find that if I don't spend time on the mat I can't spend time on the road, and I'm definitely not built for running. I'm obese, used to have severe knee pain (think using a cane in your 20s bad), and still haven't perfected the whole breathing thing....and I'm running a half marathon on Sunday. Do yoga, get proper shoes, run all the miles.
  • CardiC333
    CardiC333 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Omgshh me too! I just started back up again today. I have this 30 day challenge but it's kind of blurry.
    It may seem like sissy stuff but its a good start for me and other beginners. :) But maybe you can use this layout and switch
    things up to suit you! Hope this helps. Great luck.

tumblr_mnvf92WY2H1spmevzo1_400.jpg[/URL]
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you ARE motivated. heck, you motivated ME! and i'm still running. but you need some counsel on injuries. there's a lot of good thoughts already expressed here, everybody's body is unique. I can only share that when I focused on injuries it really helped. I use professionally fitted orthotics for one to help my pronating ankles and my flat feet. I use Newton's running shoes and have really worked on not being a heal planter. changing gait is a discipline and may take some time. but if you can fix your gait a lot of injuries go away. I have runners knee on my left knee and use a band for that at it appears to be working. I think if you start to take form and equipment seriously you'll be much better off.
  • mdoganer
    Options
    Also dont forget proper running gear. Good running shoes/socks and clothes can make ALL the difference!
  • Beanie008
    Beanie008 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This group offers great support:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Get a good pair of running shoes and slow down- best advice I got when I started c25k in April.

^^^^ this.
    Shoes are super important. And it's easy to push yourself faster than you should - either to run too fast - pace wise or to up your running to quickly. I've done it often enough! I had to tell myself this time that every time I go out, I don't have to run farther or faster, just run, and it's done me a world of good.