Tips for how to excersize when you are super fat? Back pain.

Options
I'm 23 years old, female, 5'5 and roughly 230lbs.

I decided to get serious and try to loose weight, as I am not happy with my appearance and my back constantly hurts because of the size of my boobs.

That said, I am having some trouble.

The plan was to do this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN8cwK3zM20
Then do this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDMOIlPLFE

Well, I finished the first video and got nine minutes into the second vid before I had to stop. My lower back was killing me (also sweat was dripping down onto my eyelashes). This has been happening the last few days when I simply walk two blocks. My bike was stolen two weeks ago so I've basically become a vegetable since then. Thus I gained weight. thus my boobs got bigger (again), thus my lower back hurts. It's happened many times. And yes, I read up and am mostly positive that I am keeping my back in the correct position. I have a sway back (undiagnosed) where my back curves in a lot, so when the instructor says "keep that back straight" and the kettlebell manuals I read say not to curve the back up, for me that means keeping it curved down.

So I waited a minute or two and tried to do it again. At the twelve minute point my back was KILLING me. So I stopped. I really want to finish this- but I am embarrassed that I keep stopping and starting. I'm also worried about back pain tomorrow.

Furthermore I can't do a lot of the exercises now that they say. "kick your legs up to your butt," for example. I would, but my thigh fat gets in the way, and even squished I can't get my food up there.

): Tips, tricks, anyone whose been in this situation before?

Replies

• tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    A little about myself 5'3, 33 and a female starting weight 355.

Now, before my change I had lower back pains on short walks, out of breath sweating with the littlest of workouts. In April I started at the gym as well as MFP and it was hard at the gym, but I pushed myself to do 25 minutes to 30 minutes on the treadmill and weights. Eventually it got better losing weight, doing the work out and I'm not tired. I walk around the mall the last couple weeks and it was no problem. I went from 355 to 290 (current weight in counting) I think once you get use to it and don't give up you can work past the lower back pains and the sweating.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I.am 224, 33 years old and 5'1. I do zumba on the wii, walk, lift free weights, yoga, bike ride etc. everything I do is at home. plus I have a 2 kids, one of which is a toddler. you can find lots of stuff to bump up your exercise. just find something that is fun for you. the more you lose, the easier it will get :)
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Take a walk! Seriously, I walked off my weight. It's a wonderful exercise when you have a lot to lose. You don't have to jump into difficult workouts to find success, especially in the early days of trying to lose weight.
  • midnight_storm
    midnight_storm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not in the same boat as you, but I'm in a boat that's nearby. I'm 21, almost 22, and weight 345. A lot of the exercises that I watch and try to imitate, I can't do. What do I do to get by? Change them just a bit so that I can do them. Some exercise programs or movies have a 'beginner' or 'simple' way of executing the move, but not all do.

In the specific example you gave, the kicking your butt, just modify it so that you're kicking as close to your butt as you can. After a while, you'll see your thighs thinning, or at least you'll be able to get closer and closer, ultimately reaching your goal.

Basic exercises that are easier to keep your back straight might include walking, jogging, biking, and that might limit lower back pain. Stretching beforehand might help with alleviating some pain, as well.

Just modify exercises to make them doable(but while still being a challenge) and sooner or later you'll be able to do them like a pro!
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Take a walk! Seriously, I walked off my weight. It's a wonderful exercise when you have a lot to lose. You don't have to jump into difficult workouts to find success, especially in the early days of trying to lose weight.

Agreed! Walking is a great way to start exercising. Most importantly, weight loss is primarily diet, so don't stress out if you aren't able to go nuts at the gym right away. Eat right, track your calories, and do what you can in terms of exercise and you will start to notice big changes.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I started out walking, and doing "back strengthening exercises" this helped me tremendously! You can google those exercises. If I were you.... I would look up the back strengthening exercises. Do those first and then do the video that you can do until you feel better. Then try moving on to the next video. We didn't gain this weight over night. It won't come off over night. Ease into a workout. If you go to hard to fast you'll only injure yourself and set yourself back even more.
  • Tropicalfirestorm
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I'll do just that- take a walk and just get this done. The main thing is getting the time I allotted in, not that I do it all hunky dory and perfect on the first time. Hearing that tootchute has been where I am and she worked through it helped. Broox80 rather inspired me by saying she did all her stuff at home- I don't want to go to a gym yet, and most of the stuff i've found has required tons of equipment or a gym. And Of course I am taking Celeigh12's advice.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    5'3", 26, 225 when I started. The first few times I walked I couldn't go more than 30 minutes because my lower back was killing me. I just kept at it and continued to be able to add time. Three months later I've completed Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and can walk 6+ miles at a time. Just keep at it and push through. If you can't do certain moves all the way due to body composition just do them to the best of your ability.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    yep!! I plan on losing 50 more and not planning at all to go to a gym. it makes me have a panic attack just thinking about it!! plus I cant afford it. I am a firm believer in at hone exercises. once you feel comfortable enough, google all the different 30 day challenges. I am doing the ab challenge this month. add me if you like!! im kinda weird and perverted though so you have been warned :)
  • Tropicalfirestorm
    Options
    Hi, I'm not in the same boat as you, but I'm in a boat that's nearby. I'm 21, almost 22, and weight 345. A lot of the exercises that I watch and try to imitate, I can't do. What do I do to get by? Change them just a bit so that I can do them. Some exercise programs or movies have a 'beginner' or 'simple' way of executing the move, but not all do.

In the specific example you gave, the kicking your butt, just modify it so that you're kicking as close to your butt as you can. After a while, you'll see your thighs thinning, or at least you'll be able to get closer and closer, ultimately reaching your goal.

Basic exercises that are easier to keep your back straight might include walking, jogging, biking, and that might limit lower back pain. Stretching beforehand might help with alleviating some pain, as well.

Just modify exercises to make them doable(but while still being a challenge) and sooner or later you'll be able to do them like a pro!
    I am charging my cell phone now (cause it's nearly 9 at night in chicago, and while this is a safe neighborhood to work out at night I am NOT going out without a cell) and going to do just that. Walking doesn't bother me if I wear a backpack with a textbook in it to offset my chest.

I've tried to loose weight in the past, with varying success (usually I would get distracted with school and work, and that was my downfall. I plan this time to be the last time) and I've always loved the working out part. I just think it's really fun. The dieting not so much haha. I know I need it though, I just quit a job where I was on my feet 10 hours a day, and obviously that didn't cause me to loose weight. Gotta work on that diet.
  • Bell_Lucci
    Bell_Lucci Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started at 248. I started with zumba, then Insanity, then TurboFfire, now Les Mills Combat.
    While I did all the videos I just went at my own pace and what my body allowed me to do. I tried to push harder and harder and slowly but surely my stamina improved and got tired less frequent.

When I started insanity my back was killing me during the first week. After that week it went away. I chalked it up to me using muscles I wasn't use to using. Going from sedentary to active was a shock to my muscles but it got better
  • Tropicalfirestorm
    Options
    I started out walking, and doing "back strengthening exercises" this helped me tremendously! You can google those exercises. If I were you.... I would look up the back strengthening exercises. Do those first and then do the video that you can do until you feel better. Then try moving on to the next video. We didn't gain this weight over night. It won't come off over night. Ease into a workout. If you go to hard to fast you'll only injure yourself and set yourself back even more.
    Will def do.
    5'3", 26, 225 when I started. The first few times I walked I couldn't go more than 30 minutes because my lower back was killing me. I just kept at it and continued to be able to add time. Three months later I've completed Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and can walk 6+ miles at a time. Just keep at it and push through. If you can't do certain moves all the way due to body composition just do them to the best of your ability.
    I have a secret. I used to really like walking, but I've had these back problems for years. I wear a backpack and put a textbook in it. It helps to balance by chest out thus I can walk for an hour or more. Whereas otherwise I walk ten minutes and am like "ow".

My phone should be charged enough in another five, ten min :3
    yep!! I plan on losing 50 more and not planning at all to go to a gym. it makes me have a panic attack just thinking about it!! plus I cant afford it. I am a firm believer in at hone exercises. once you feel comfortable enough, google all the different 30 day challenges. I am doing the ab challenge this month. add me if you like!! im kinda weird and perverted though so you have been warned :)
    Funny you should mention it, part of the reason I am doing this is because I noticed my agoraphobia/anxiety disorder/depression (whatever you want to call it) coming back and was like "yeah, no way am I going to get to that low point I was at years ago. Time to do the only thing that has been proven time and time again to combat it- get off my butt!

And don't worry. There is a good chance I'm more perverted than you and I rarely watch what I say either. But this is a public forum that kids can come to (I think?) so I'll just leave that statement as is without going into detail.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    Looking at the video that was linked, I see a bunch of exercises that if done with less than ideal form will cause back pain. I agree that walking is a great exercise to start with. I would also suggest body weight exercises rather than using weights to start with.
  • MeGaga
    MeGaga Posts: 25 Member
    Options

that was inspiring, happy to hear that, my muscles are very week to do some hard exercises, i've been sedentary for my whole life! i cant do more than walking and few minutes on the elliptical, but i was in doubt that walking could really make me lose weight
  • Coach_Simon
    Coach_Simon Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 years old, female, 5'5 and roughly 230lbs.

I decided to get serious and try to loose weight, as I am not happy with my appearance and my back constantly hurts because of the size of my boobs.

That said, I am having some trouble.

The plan was to do this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN8cwK3zM20
    Then do this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDMOIlPLFE

Well, I finished the first video and got nine minutes into the second vid before I had to stop. My lower back was killing me (also sweat was dripping down onto my eyelashes). This has been happening the last few days when I simply walk two blocks. My bike was stolen two weeks ago so I've basically become a vegetable since then. Thus I gained weight. thus my boobs got bigger (again), thus my lower back hurts. It's happened many times. And yes, I read up and am mostly positive that I am keeping my back in the correct position. I have a sway back (undiagnosed) where my back curves in a lot, so when the instructor says "keep that back straight" and the kettlebell manuals I read say not to curve the back up, for me that means keeping it curved down.

So I waited a minute or two and tried to do it again. At the twelve minute point my back was KILLING me. So I stopped. I really want to finish this- but I am embarrassed that I keep stopping and starting. I'm also worried about back pain tomorrow.

Furthermore I can't do a lot of the exercises now that they say. "kick your legs up to your butt," for example. I would, but my thigh fat gets in the way, and even squished I can't get my food up there.

): Tips, tricks, anyone whose been in this situation before?

5"11, 28 and started at 339lbs. I was huge and couldn't do things I wanted to do. But that didn't stop me. I was in pain most of the time (back and knee) but I pushed through anyway. I don't mean to sound mean, but that's what you have to do to get passed that point. You just have to push through the pain, otherwise you'll always stop and start again from the beginning. And you simply don't want to do that. Also, I had a lot of fat in the way when I started, heck I still have a gut that gets in the way now and then, but you just do what you can and push a little further every day.

I never thought, when I was at my heaviest, that I would ever manage to lose weight, but I did and I'm still going strong. If I can do it, so can you. You just have to stop with the excuses and keep moving forward.

Good luck!
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options

exactly this, I am having a lot of trouble doing the exercises in my chosen routines, but I do as close to what they are doing as I can. My stomach and legs are to big to bend as much, get into positions they do etc. But that's ok, now I have made it a goal that whether it takes me 2 months or 2 years, I will be able to do them all the way :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tVXfEStevY&feature=share&list=PLICGbEZ5W-smkRS2h6Akr1ElAC6e6YYff
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXY3lFh3Vpw&feature=share&list=PLICGbEZ5W-smkRS2h6Akr1ElAC6e6YYff
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Ke0oV1G6g&feature=share&list=PLICGbEZ5W-smkRS2h6Akr1ElAC6e6YYff
    THese are just some of my fav workout videos that I use. I would start with the first one then work yourself into the second one, then try to do some of the last one> tae bo. It seems to me that the kettle ball execises would hurt my back too. The first two videos are yoga for beginners and chris Freytag vinyasa/flow yoga.. it really makes you sweat. I walk for my exercises and swim too. If you want to go on my youtube channel and I have some good playlists on my channel for food, exercise, and even motivation ideas. You will notice eventually that you wont sweat as crazy even in thirty days. Just find something that you like and keep trying new things.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/amymichele3
    Man if you could get to a pool its great for your knees and back. I love it.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I agree with the walking about exercise to start. But I wanted to comment on the chest and back issues. The women in my family have large boobs, so I can relate to that. Are you wearing good bras during the day? I know when my bras are going bad, because the back pain starts to creep in on me. Have yourself professionally measured and invest in good bras if you can. What type of sports bras do you where when you exercise? I like Nike bras. Several women in my family have had breast reductions. You may want to check with your doctor about this. Most insurances will cover them. You are too young to suffer this way. I would hate for you to have to go through life with pain. Please check into this and stay strong. You will lose the weight!