I just don't get it!!!

Options
I had a bad day yesterday, but not to bad. I went over in my calories by about 400, and thought i'll be okay...but when i woke up this morning I gained over 2lbs almost 3!!! was was shocked and upset because i've gone up a pound or so but never 3lbs!!! I wondering what's going to happen when i up my calories to maintain my weight cause 400 over should have just maintain not gain.....just confused guess my body is telling me to stay at 1300.......FOREVER..?????

Replies

• ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    What did you eat when you went over your calories? 3500 calories make a pound, so if you went over 400 cals you didn't gain any weight. Its probably water retention--did you go over in sodium?
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    First off, it takes 3500 cals to gain 1 pound of fat. With that said, you are a woman, and that in it 's self can cause you to gain and lose 3-5 lbs due to cycles.

Water gain due to excess sodium is a very big factor as well.
  • Jennili7
    Options
    It depends on what you ate. If it had a lot of salt then you'll retain more water which can add up quick. My really bad days range from 2,500 to almost 4,000 *blushes* my weight the next day depends on what I pigged out on. If I drink a lot of beer then I could be up 5 lbs...last night I went over cause we went to On the Border but I didn't eat a lot of the chips (salt) and I even had a margarita but I drank TONS of water after that and my weight was the same today as it was yesterday.

The good news is that your up 3 lbs today and that'll come off with a good day of calories and a moderate workout. :) Have a happy calorie counting day and try not to stress out about it too much. :flowerforyou:
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I soooo know how you feel. That's why when I know I've gone over or not eaten the best in a day I DON"T weigh myself the next day. If you eat a little extra it will take your body longer to get rid of it. I am trying very hard to not weigh myself everyday because it can be disappointing to see some gain when you think you should be okay. Just stick with it and if you have a not so good day just try and make up for it a little by sticking to your plan the rest of the week, and drink lots of water. I feel the same way you do about having to eat 1300 cals for the rest of eternity. I always wonder what will happen once I hit my goal weight and what I will have to do to maintain it but I guess I just have to focus on the "NOW" and take each day as it comes. Good luck.
  • Jennili7
    Options
    Speaking of 3 lbs....we're both 3 lbs from goal! It's just my first goal but still... GO US!!!
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    There is no way possible that 400 calories can make u gain one pound, let alone three. 3500 calories equals one pound. I tell myself this same thing atleast 5 times a month, because my weight fluctuates extremely as well. It is water weight. Maybe from sodium intake or maybe just hormonal. I gained 4 pounds one day this week- 4 pounds!!! My clothes were do tight, and I was uncomfortable all day. I did not go over my sodium, and I drank enough water.... It is just my body and how I get certain times of the month. I went back down a few pounds within a day or two, but I am still one pound heavier than I was last weigh in day. I am set at 1270 calories and have not went over- so hopefully within a few days I will be down again. Just keep doing what your doing and remember that there is no way physically possible that you gained that much weight (fat)- it's just water and your body playing tricks on you ;)
  • AlexD3
    AlexD3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I hate it when that happens. However, I've found that it is usually water weight that I put on. Love those cheat days & hate the morning scale after...
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I would just let that concern go. There is no way barely overeating is going to make you gain 'true' weight. Being female, our weight can fluctuate 2 - 2 1/2 weeks out of each month by a few lbs. Sodium can cause that too. Just shrug it off and dont let a few lbs up or down worry you.
  • I had a bad day yesterday, but not to bad. I went over in my calories by about 400, and thought i'll be okay...but when i woke up this morning I gained over 2lbs almost 3!!! was was shocked and upset because i've gone up a pound or so but never 3lbs!!! I wondering what's going to happen when i up my calories to maintain my weight cause 400 over should have just maintain not gain.....just confused guess my body is telling me to stay at 1300.......FOREVER..?????

I can't exactly say what might have caused your weight to increase .... I'd guess a bad scale, but I suppose you'd be aware of that kind of thing. What I do know is that 400 cals consumed yesterday COULD NOT cause a weight gain over 2lbs! How many unused calories is what's important here. Remember that you're burning calories just sitting around ... about 80 an hour or so. You burn at least 1000 calories in a day just breathing, thinking and so on. A pound of fat contains roughly 3200 calories. So you'd have to consume 3200 calories BEYOND WHAT YOU BURN IN A DAY to gain a pound of fat. There are 3,500 calories in a pound. In order to lose OR gain one pound, an individual must either subtract or add 3,500 calories from their diet. The human digestive system is about nine meters long, with many steps along the way that convert the food that you eat into nutrients, fat, muscle, and other important body necessities. The entire process can take between 24 to 72 hours before food is fully converted into waste, and that which will stay on as body weight in some way, shape, or form. Most of this info is stuff I got online when I was doing some research for myself ... I just didn't note where it all came from. I do hope some of this helps. I would sooner guess that TOM is nearby ... But again ... I suppose you'd know that. Don't forget that from 2 wks out on either side of the visit, TOM can cause a water weight gain.

Read more: How Long Does it Take to Gain Weight After You Eat? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5217514_long-gain-weight-after-eat_.html#ixzz11J5Qshox
  • colekay
    colekay Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks you guys for all the information, I"m feeling better know.....i really had no clue that 3500 calories = 1lbs gain...WOW that's crazy.....now that i think about it, some of the things I eat yesterday had alot more sodium....so hoping it's just water weight :) thanks again everyone :smile: