Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight flucuating

OK, so I've been at this for a while. Down 70 lbs total (my ticker isn't right because I joined a while after beginning my journey). I began Zumba about three weeks ago. Three nights a week we do Zumba for an hour, then two days a week I do either a 30 min elliptical or 1 hour walk on the local bike/walking trail. So only one day off. I track my calories and exercise daily. I'm coming in 200-500 calories under my calorie goal each day. So the past 1 1/2 week my weight keeps fluctuating 3-5 lbs! What gives? I'm so disheartened (not enough to give up, that'll never happen). I want to see results and this is driving me nuts! Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions? (something I've noticed is that my feet stay swollen during the summer if I wear sandals (flats) if I wear tennis shoes I'm good). This also doesn't make sense since I drink at least 100 oz of water a day.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    If you only just started exercising this much, then I know for me at least exercise makes my weight fluctuate a lot more than if I don't exercise. When I started logging my daily weight I went to the gym almost every day doing a mix of cardio and weight lifting. I've stopped doing that for the last few weeks for a number of reasons (I plan to start again when I go back to uni in October), I now only do walking, and a couple of weeks after stopping my weight suddenly stopped fluctuating. My weight loss graph used to look like a mountain range, now it's flat for a few days, then I lose a bit, then flat for a few days, then I lose a bit, etc. So if you've just started exercising that might be it.

If you've been doing a lot of exercise before then it's probably not that. If you're getting close to your goal weight, that might be it. Or even if you're just around your period it could be that.

I'd also say to be careful of going 200-500 calories below everyday, especially if your calorie goal is quite low (I don't know how much you're eating, your diary is closed). Remember, it's a goal, not a limit.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    I have been exercising but was only doing about 200-400 calorie burns, now (2 1/2 weeks) I'm doing 800-900 calorie burn three days a week and approx. 400 burn two days a week. I'm 70 lbs down, but have 30 more to go for my goal. No period, had a radical hysterectomy at 28 yrs old. My calorie goal is 1200 a day, once I've done exercise I've net the 200-500 calories under. Typically more near 200-250 under
  • DemoraFairy
    Maybe the increase in exercise is doing it, then. I know it would to me if I started exercising that much more. If it worries you you could log your weight every day in a spreadsheet, then you can see exactly what's happening, and I think it makes it easier to see what the general trend is. A few weeks ago I thought I hadn't lost anything for ages because what weight I had lost had got lost in the fluctuations. Then when I looked at the logs I realised I'd actually steadily lost 1lb/week.

You should try not to drop below 1200 net too often, especially with that much exercise. Maybe try calculating 80% of your TDEE, that's what a lot of people recommend. You might be able to get away with eating much more calories and still lose weight. Eating too little can slow weight loss.
  • CheeksBryant
    Thanks, I'll def do the spreadsheet, and sorry but what's the TDEE
  • DemoraFairy
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure, the average amount of calories you burn in a day. Google it, there are a load of sites out there that'll calculate it for you. When choosing your activity level, either include the exercise you do and don't eat your exercise calories, or set it to sedentary or light and eat them back. Once you've found your TDEE, 80% of that is usually what's recommended for losing weight.
  • CheeksBryant
    So if my Basal Metabolic Rate is 1,758 and my total energy expenditure is 3,222. I should have my calories at 2577? That's a lot, I'm sorry just trying to do my best at getting this right
  • Connie5674
    Connie5674 Posts: 21 Member
    When I get stuck, I increase caloric intake to what I should eat in a day for 3-5 days while continuing to exercise and drink water. then I go back to 1200 calories - then I start losing again. Works every time for me.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 788 Member
    When I get stuck, I increase caloric intake to what I should eat in a day for 3-5 days while continuing to exercise and drink water. then I go back to 1200 calories - then I start losing again. Works every time for me.

I so glad that works for you I am going to try that, my weight is such a crap shoot. Last week I changed up my foods and started a low carb (not no carb) high protein...I lost almost 5lb this week I have kept with it and have gained 2 back???? I took one day off from exercise and my calories range from 1150-1300. Am I eating too little? my exercise comes in around 600 per day

Thoughts?
  • CheeksBryant
    After reading more about TDEE, it seems I've been eating way too few calories. Which from what I can understand is making my body go into starvation mode! So I'm going to do more research on this. Here is one link that seems very helpful

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide
  • I don't take the "starvation mode" too serious. With a calorie deficit, you will loose weight. You are not starving yourself and your metabolism doesn't actually stop. It may slow down a bit so make sure you are doing some strength training. I was stuck at a weight for 3 weeks. I woke up today and dropped 5 lbs overnight. It is strange how that works but it will come off. JMO.
  • CheeksBryant
    there must be some credit to the calorie deficit, because I upped my calories Friday last week and have dropped 5 lbs in one week. Thanks for all the help and input