The beautiful Dragon fruit (pics)

Options
These are so beautiful to look at tasty to eat and have only 60 cals each and give you a lot on fruit for such a small amount of calories
the come in many varieties from all over the world and range from sour to sweet. I am enjoying a sweet one today.

f65cf9b0-556a-4fa2-82e3-ef0c6ffa6e92_zpsf42e87cb.jpg

You can pick out a good one by looking at the little leaves if they are brown or wilted its no good pick a different one

To eat cut in half

29183750-8532-44e3-82ac-03dbc6b18d8e_zpsb55a43ff.jpg

isn't that pretty :D Now just scoop out the inside but make sure to trim any rind still on with a knife it isn't edible

abb1bcc0-074f-401d-a17a-611285852ac7_zps8a0a370e.jpg

Put in a bowel or back inside the rind and enjoy :)

3eae75cd-d942-449a-baa5-315f9cf08d7e_zps97aae6ce.jpg

Replies

• jck125
    jck125 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the info!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I saw pink ones the last time I was at the store. I will have to pick one up now and try it.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    no problem :)
  • meeper123
    Options
    I saw pink ones the last time I was at the store. I will have to pick one up now and try it.

I love the red ones they are eaten the same way and have a slightly sweeter taste
  • meeper123
    Options
    My husband didn't like all the seeds but he hates strawberries for the same reason
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I've seen these before and wanted to try one but had no idea where to start!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious!!! Must find... :tongue:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    well that looks delicious. I have never seen one before. I hope i can find them over here.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love these and pick them up at the produce market. I've only seen the red ones, though. They might look a little daunting when you pick one up, but it really is as easy as cutting it open and peeling off the skin.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ah, Pitaya. Yep, totally love them.

Tried to grow my own a few years back but, unfortunately, lost the whole dang cactus to a late frost before it bore fruit. Bummer.

pitaye-fruit.j452.jpg

pitaya_1.jpg
  • meeper123
    Options
    I adore how pretty they all are :D
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    No way am I eating fruit out a bowel.... :noway:
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No way am I eating fruit out a bowel.... :noway:
    :laugh:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    well that looks delicious. I have never seen one before. I hope i can find them over here.

UPDATE: I found them at the store last night :) Cant wait to try it. Thanks for givin me the heads up on this. And the ones I found are HUGE looking compared to these pics.