Am I stuck or impatient?

Options
I don't know if I am being impatient but I have never not lost weight when I have been this diligent. I have really been stuck for 2-3 weeks although it shows I lost a pound last week but I gained the week before. I am working out and not eating those calories most of the time so I just don't get it. Am I doing something wrong? I cut my calories after I lost 20 pounds because the system recommended it. If I add calories I gain. I have a goal of being at 175 by Christmas and I cannot afford to get stuck! Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It just happens sometimes, I was stuck for nearly the entire month of August. Other times I'll be stuck for 10-14 days with no progress. Anytime this happens, I vary my exercise a bit, drink more water (to help with stubborn water weight/bloating), and vary the kind of food I eat as well.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Being patient is one of the most difficult things with weight loss. I went three weeks in December without a loss on the scale but after that a big drop. I was exercising more than usual and my body was holding extra water. Sometimes the weight drops off in chunks. Keep your calories low enough and you will see the scale weight drop but I know it is frustrating when it doesn't happen when we want it to. Congratulations on what you have already lost.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Not sure if I am doing something wrong in terms of exercise and stuff either. So I totally understand how you feel. I don't know if I'm being impatient or not either. Feel like I've been stuck where I am the last week or two. But I also do not see any physical changes for what I seem to have lost.

I'm trying not to think about it and trying to just keep going. Goodluck.

And to symonspatrick, wow, congrats on a lose oe 183, thats amazing!
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    I am stuck too - nearly a month now... haven't gained but an ounce or two, so I just revamped my diet and caloric intake again. I am at a serious crossroads with no time for exercise... or cooking. Gonna have to be a weekend warrior - need a jumpstart! I am not impatient... I gave myself a year to lose 60# - very doable... guess I'm just not putting in enough effort... so, more is gonna have to come... I still think slow and steady and forever are the keys to winning though in the long run. I refuse to gain it back!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I am being impatient but I have never not lost weight when I have been this diligent. I have really been stuck for 2-3 weeks although it shows I lost a pound last week but I gained the week before. I am working out and not eating those calories most of the time so I just don't get it. Am I doing something wrong? I cut my calories after I lost 20 pounds because the system recommended it. If I add calories I gain. I have a goal of being at 175 by Christmas and I cannot afford to get stuck! Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Well, you are eating quite a bit lower than I would generally recommend for someone at your current weight. 1230 is on the low side, and by not eating your exercise calories back you only consumed a net of 787 calories, which is definitely too low. I would suggest reevaluating this approach to your eating as it can affect you long term. However, should you choose not to, then my advice is to just be patient and the scale will eventually go down.

Out of curiosity, why is it so important to get down to 175lbs by Christmas? Why the hard deadline?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight after two or three weeks, your data is wrong.

Either you aren't tracking your food accurately, you are estimating your Exercise calories incorrectly, or you have set a far too aggressive weight loss goal. The only other thing would be a Metabolic Disorder.

So, start researching and reading.
  • mellieinkc
    Options
    Thanks Wheird, I was kind of wondering about that. The only thing is when I have increased my calories the next day I am up at least 2 pounds so that has made me freak out and go the other way. I cannot believe I have become this neurotic freaked out person!

The date I have set is because I want to wear this skirt I have to Christmas eve service and I want to see some old friends I haven't seen in years and I was SKINNY back then. I couldn't bare the look in their eyes when I walk in FAT. I know it is really silly but I just can't take it. I have been hiding for a long time. I want to get back out and live and that means I need to feel good and be fit to be comfortable enough to do that.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks Wheird, I was kind of wondering about that. The only thing is when I have increased my calories the next day I am up at least 2 pounds so that has made me freak out and go the other way. I cannot believe I have become this neurotic freaked out person!

The date I have set is because I want to wear this skirt I have to Christmas eve service and I want to see some old friends I haven't seen in years and I was SKINNY back then. I couldn't bare the look in their eyes when I walk in FAT. I know it is really silly but I just can't take it. I have been hiding for a long time. I want to get back out and live and that means I need to feel good and be fit to be comfortable enough to do that.

I understand the feeling of walking in to a room and having them look at you all "FAT" and such. That's always been my issue. I however don't have to worry about Christmas though, since I do not plan to do anything, except maybe stay in bed until 2014 and hope that once we're out of 2013 **** gets better.

If you have not seen them in a long time, maybe they have changed too? If they are friends though, ones that are worth keeping, I would like to think they would not judge you. If you are like me, you are probably going to be the toughest judge of yourself.

Goodluck.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Stop weighing so often, or at least work on cutting ties between the number on the scale and what you ate the day prior. You are not gaining two pounds in one day from increasing calories by a few hundred. Eat more food. Let go of the stress and stop weighing for a week or two so you can regain a healthy relationship with your scale and your food. Good luck!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

I SO understand that - but it's been *my* experience that when i get *that* hung up on "being this weight/size by this date" i end up getting so stressed out and that stress causes me to ... well, fall off the wagon. I also have an event that i had dreams of being a size 14 by then, and it's not going to happen, but you know what? that's ok. i'm doing this for ME. not for my friends, not for my family. for ME. and it will take a month or a year or 3 years, but i will get to where i want to. i'm not going to limit myself with numbers and dates, it just freaks me out (like it's doing to you:flowerforyou: )

I think you need to take a deep breath and look at the big picture - i also sometimes get "stuck" but then I look at the big picture: i've been doing this for X days, and lost Y pounds, and got down Z sizes. that's all that matters, the onward and downward motion. If you are being diligent and following the rules, and you still aren't losing, then change something - up your exercise, lower your carbs, eat more, eat less, eat less of the protein powder and more salad, etc.

you got this!
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Do you take your measurements as well? As you get closer to your goal weight, the more difficult it gets to actually lose weight. But that doesn't mean you aren't losing inches as you tighten up your body from working out. I weigh and measure and I can tell you that if I gained a pound on the scale but lost and inch on my waist, I'm thrilled and I feel like I'm succeeding. So if you haven't already I highly recommend starting measuring your weight loss in this way as well.
  • JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that too. Then I broke up with my scale and will only get on once a month when I weigh in with my trainer. On top of breaking up with my scale I am in a new "relationship" with my tape measure. He doesn't lie to me like the scale does. I haven't lost any weight since mid July but I'm losing a hefty number of inches each month. BREAK UP WITH YOUR SCALE! He's a hateful d'bag who is really good at mental terrorism. Seriously though, you need to up your calories. Your not properly fueling your body and need to have a higher net. The way I understand MFP to work is you need to eat your entire daily allottment ( if your daily calories are 1200 eat 1200) and at least some of your exercise calories back. It sounds like you are on your way to having an unhealthy realtionship with food AND the scale.

So my advice is the following (all seriousness here):

1. Break up with your scale, you have a toxic relationship with him.
    2. Invest in a tape measure and become besties with him.
    3. Change up your workouts, if you've been doing the same thing for awhile that maybe contributing to your problem.
    4. Make sure you are logging accurately.
    5. Up your calories and your net.