Blew it, but tomorrow is a new day

Options
I have been logging now for 10 days and I dropped a few pounds right away because my eating habits were not great.
I have found it fairly easy to stay on track by making better choices. Filling foods that I enjoy, but with fewer calories and far less sugar. Also trying to keep out "simple" carbs like white bread and such since I don't enjoy them very much anyway.

I really blew it today. I knew lunch would be a splurge because my boss was treating at my fave place and I didn't want to modify my order. I would say for a one day splurge, it was definitely worth it!

I only had about 200 calories left for my dinner, I could have managed it eating beans or something else filling but I had an avocado instead. That put me over a bit but not too much. THEN, all hell broke loose. I eat to fill holes in my life. Tonight I had a ticket for a concert but I am tired and decided I didn't want to attend yet another event by myself. Instead of treating myself well with a movie or even a workout session, I had a huge bowl of ice cream. I went 1100 calories over for my day.

I know I will pick up again tomorrow and I will get past this, but I hate to get out of control. It makes me fear that I won't ever reach my goals, or if I do, I'll just backslide again because I have too many triggers.

Anyone with good stories or anecdotes to help would be great!

Replies

• abtsdiet
    abtsdiet Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sweetie...just take it one day at a time. Don't worry about the future.

Tomorrow is a new day. If possible...go to bed early so you will be well rested tomorrow.

I am a binge eater and I blow my diet a lot. I have to take it one meal at a time.

Here's to a better tomorrow.
  • emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's true that if you are continually out of control you will continue to gain weight. However, this was just one day. It happens to me quite often, it's life! I used to think when I had one bad day then I was just ruined and I would quit my diet and get so down on myself. I'm trying to have a more positive outlook and look at this as a long term solution, not a quick fix. If I know I'm going out to eat I plan accordingly and modify my other meals throughout the day to make sure I allocate enough calories for my meal at the restaurant. Sometimes I'll get tempted by the menu and make a bad choice. But the key is to get back on track right away. And realize that you're human and you can't be perfect 100% of the time. I do my best to eat healthy 85-90% of the time and the rest of the time I just have decided not to feel so much guilt.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    [insert innuendo about "blowing it]

#MFPforums
  • tbullucks06
    Options
    Pick yourself off and dust yourself off. Dont make one bad day turn into two or a week or a month. This journey is the most difficult mentally. Please just move past it and have a great day today. :wink:
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Dude. When I have a bad day I eat an entire bag of Doritos or two orders of McDonald's fries - large orders mind you - or a bag of Frito Lay potoato chips with French onion dip. I don't understand moderation when it comes to certain foods. If I have a single serving size bag in front of me that's what I will eat; if I have a family size bag in front of me then that's what I eat. My MFP friends don't believe me but it's true. Ask my husband, who says that I eat like a trucker and it's not fair that I don't weigh in at 4 bills. Seriously. I do that one day but the next day I get back it. Yep, this week I gained some weight but next week will be better. Why? Becuase I say so. I'm not going to let one or two bad days totally derail me. You had a bad day, yep. It happens and it's okay. Don't totally beat yourself up over it. Just make sure that the next day is not a repeat. Each day is brand new - how awesome is that?
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think it happens to a lot of ppl. What matters is not giving up cuz of one bad day