Anyone worked out and it improved their posture?

Options
Eli_Xx
Eli_Xx Posts: 42 Member
I have pretty bad posture most likely from my big boobs but also falling asleep while nursing (sitting up and slouched over). And my back and shoulders are starting to kick my butt. I just wanted to see before and afters of exercising helping someones posture and maybe advice or suggestions to workouts that can help me (: Thank you (:

Replies

• Eli_Xx
    Eli_Xx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    And one other thing I'm not sure if this has to do with posture but when I lay on my back to do crunches or just try to lay flat I feel like I'm on my tail bone? I have to arch my back so that I'm on my butt.
  • margoanton
    margoanton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't have pictures, but my posture has never been great, and I work at a job that has me more hunched over than a standard computer desk job. However, since I have been doing the NROWLFW, I can definitely tell you the posture is improving. I also feel less upper back pain from my posture at my job. And more interestingly, I have a genetic "bull hump" at the bottom of my neck that seems to be diminishing. Everyone in my family has this, yet mine is delightfully improved. Yay weightlifting!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Most exercises in order to not hurt yourself you have to make sure you have a good posture, so it has helped me out a lot, but sometimes you just have to remind yourself, it hurts bad at first sometimes, I have had back problems before but after a while when you correct yourself it helps out a lot, especially when I'm driving or just sitting in a chair I make sure i have a back and try to sit up straight as often as i can...hope that helps!
  • quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, kickboxing, running, and yoga/pilates have all helped improve my posture. Kickboxing strengthened the back muscles, so when I ran I noticed I didn't feel the same amount of pressure on the back and just looked less silly running! That translated to the rest of my life. My back used to hurt driving for an hour, now I can drive 10 hours a day without hurting my back, or study for long periods of time. My back used to not even able to support sitting in a regular chair. Anything to strengthen core (my kickboxing does lots of planks, and so does the yoga/pilates workout videos I like)!!!!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Workin with kettlebells has definitely improved my posture.
  • slatts75
    Options
    Hi, I have big boobs and nursed my son. My lower back was soooo painful after 9 months of pregnancy and 3 months of nursing and I noticed in photos that my shoulders/posture was really slumped. I went to see a physio and he gave me daily moves (3 moves starting at 5 reps each) to improve my core muscles. They really helped me A LOT. When I showed them my friend, she said they were pilates moves, so I got a pilates DVD but it seemed a bit too gentle for me. Instead I started going to Ashtanga yoga classes and the improvement was really fast plus it seemed to burn more fat than the pilates. I never thought I'd be able to do a back bend it used to be so painful and my shoulders are now much lower and pulled back. Aside from anything else, the yoga stretching helps to remind you to correct your posture when you aren't in class.

Since then I've also done body pump classes and now I train with DVDs or in the gym by myself. I think classes are the safest way to go at first if you can manage it as the instructor corrects your posture as you go through the poses/moves to stop you doing more harm than good.

I also invested in a new mattress for my bed. I really blew my budget for it and it took me about a month to get used to it, but it's AMAZING, well worth it.
  • samammay
    Options
    Sometime posture is from body position, but a lot of times it comes from confidence in oneself. I have seen it many times. You'll feel better about yourself and it will show in your posture. I know in my own times of success, my shoulders roll back and my chest sticks out, like 'yeah... I own this place'.

I suspect you will see a lot of change in your posture. :)
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Workin with kettlebells has definitely improved my posture.

Me too. The thing about kettlebells (and probably weights in general) is that to be able to lift them--especially overhead--you have to really focus on your posture. You have to tighten the muscles in your legs and core in order to build the foundation for supporting the weight. Do that enough, and voila, your everyday posture improves.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh sure
    posture rocks now
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    No pictures. Sorry.
    But weight lifting has improved my posture, and that of my 16 yr old son with scoliosis.
  • gillesse
    gillesse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yoga and pilates is supposed to improve your posture.

Also, it takes a great deal of awareness to fix your posture. Stick your chest out as much as you can, as it forces your head back. I have pretty bad posture from slouching when I draw, and from putting my head forward when I'm on the computer. You can also put a ball on the base of the back of your neck and lay back flat against the wall.

Bad posture sucks :/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!