chips

Options
It's food shopping day and I don't have anythink in but chips lol .. Im happy with just having 100g frozen but I don't have any scales any idea if I can guess ? And how

Replies

• blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'd say if at all possible try and pick up some cheap kitchen scales. I was soooo out on my guesses before I used to weigh everything. I got some for £7 and they have been the cheapest and best "investment" on my healthy eating lifestyle.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It's food shopping day and I don't have anythink in but chips lol .. Im happy with just having 100g frozen but I don't have any scales any idea if I can guess ? And how

If you guess, put half what you pour out back in the bag, then put half what's left back in the bag, Seriouosly 100g of frozen chips is a handful and your brain will refuse to believe that - so you do need scales really!

ETA I do sometimes guess for speed, with things like vegetables (or rather, measure by eye from previously weighed amounts). But it's too dangerous to guess with things that are high cal/high fat etc. Small amounts can add large numbers of calories!
  • DELLYO13
    Options
    Yeh I need to get some :) I googled and it seems to be about 10 /12 raw chips so your right not a lot lol I have never counted calories before I need to think of some low cal meals
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Try adding people and looking at other people's diaries to get an idea of what they do. If I see someone post a success story so has lost a similar amount of weight as I want to lose, I will look at their profile to see if their diary is open and try and get an idea of how they did it.

Everyone is different and some find certain way of eating better than others but I always get good ideas from other peoples diaries.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Get a cup, one of those arcoroc mugs.

They're a metric cup

Weight wise, a cup of chips, including all that air, would probably cook up to 100g. Full of water, the cup would be holding 250g. Water weighs heavier than chips, so you would probably get a bit over 1/2 cup worth for 100g and given the space between them uncooked, I'd be quite happy to guestimate at 1 cup loosely packed chips.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options

They're a metric cup

Weight wise, a cup of chips, including all that air, would probably cook up to 100g. Full of water, the cup would be holding 250g. Water weighs heavier than chips, so you would probably get a bit over 1/2 cup worth for 100g and given the space between them uncooked, I'd be quite happy to guestimate at 1 cup loosely packed chips.

Blimy that just sounds so complicated and fiddly - and you still have to look up what a cup of this thing and that thing weighs! Scales are just so much easier I think.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

They're a metric cup

Blimy that just sounds so complicated and fiddly - and you still have to look up what a cup of this thing and that thing weighs! Scales are just so much easier I think.

Absolutely - but she didn't have any scales at the time. Of course I recommend getting some scales as soon as possible. :)
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options

They're a metric cup

Absolutely - but she didn't have any scales at the time. Of course I recommend getting some scales as soon as possible. :)

Oh I see what you mean - what's an arcoroc mug? I was thinking you were talking about some kind of measuring cup.