BANANA / BREAD

Options
Im confused (again!!!)

Just logged my breakfast and my banana is almost as many calories than the slice of toast I had... and more carbs.
Does this mean nutritionally its similar? Ive never counted carbs or calories before and the whole things confusing me a little coz I would have thought bananas much better being a fruit!!!

Replies

• fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    CARBS ARE YOUR FRIENDS
    it just depends on the type of carb you eat.

http://www.rawplus.com/banana.html
  • lfholland
    lfholland Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    All fruits are not created equally. Bananas have a high sugar content, so that is the reason for the amount of Carbs and Calories. Berries on the other hand have a low sugar content and thus have lower calories, carbs, etc.

I personally eat a banana just about every day with breakfast, but I'm a pretty big guy and I have to eat a lot of calories. I also don't track the natural sugar I eat, but try to keep added sugar as low as possible. Others will tell you to stay away from certain fruits with high sugar content.

Bottom line is that you have to figure out what works for you. I have yet to have a week where I didn't lose weight (knock on wood) in slightly over a month and half.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    And actually... in regards to the banana & sugar, The greener it is, the less sugar it has. Personally, I won't even eat a banana if it has brown spots on it (has to have a bit of green on the top)... just b/c of the taste.

I couldn't believe though how many calories they have...but oh well, they're still good for you :)