Need to try something different

Lesliet05
Lesliet05 Posts: 148
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok I have been at this for 3 months now, and I have only lost 8 lbs, I think it is safe to say for me not eating my exercise calories is not working, now for the next 3 months I want to eat half or all my exercise calories,
So do you think I should do half the calories and see how that goes or try all the calories first? I know it will take some time to figure out what is going to work for me.
Thanks

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    It may jsut be what your eating. IF your working out at least an hour a day and burning around 500 caloreis 7 days a week then you should have lost more. So it is either what your eating how often, what your eating together and how hard your working out
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    what are your calories at? I don't think it's possible to be eating to few calories and not lose weight. One bad day a week can cause you to stay the same weight or even gain.
  • Lesliet05
    Lesliet05 Posts: 148
    My calories are at 1400 and I have been really good staying close to that. And I exercise 3 to 4 times a week, any where from 45 mins to an hour, doing Walk at Home videos, So I figured I need to change things up, but wanted to give it a good amount of time to see. I didn't get this weight over night and it will take time to figure it out, and the way I am I never get it right the first time...LOL
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    I dip into my exercise calories a tiny bit, but if I ate all of them, I'd just stay the same or gain. I've been kinda at a stand still also. For 2½ weeks, I only lost 2lbs... I took a day off of exercise (I was exercising pretty much every day) & I also increased my water intake. Normally, I would have 9-12ish glasses/day...I've now up'd it to 16-20 (mainly b/c I just had a bladder infection)...but now the weight is slowly coming off (2lbs in a few days). Although, there are frequent trips to the potty!!
    Good luck!
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    I think the exercise and the 1400 calories ought to do the trick. Do you have a slow metabolism?
    I would stick with what you have been doing myself, but be absolutely a fanatic at keeping track
    of how much you are eating, do not go over 1400, it s amazing how quickly a few extra here and
    there make a difference.

I have been at 1200 for 7 weeks today and have lost 20 pounds ... you can do it too!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    I'd kick up the exercise - add more intense cardio - but that's just me.
    Personally I eat most of my exercise calories.
  • I would eat at least half of your exercise calories. MFP add them back for a reason and if your body doesn't get enough calories based on your activity level, you won't lose. I personally eat most of my exercise calories. My beginning goal was to lose 8 lbs and I have lost 4 lbs so far. Everyone is different so I would suggest to try eating half and see what happens. Good luck!!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Hey Leslie! Congrats on the 8 lbs you've already gotten rid of! My suggestion is that you try eating at least half of your exercise calories. I also think you should kick the exercise up to 5 - 6 days per week if possible, depending on your schedule. Are you watching sodium intake? Days when I consume too much sodium always interfere with my weight loss efforts so I have to keep a close eye on that. Have you considered taking a B Complex vitamin daily? B vitamins are essential to creating energy, getting these vitamins helps the body to metabolize more efficiently. Also a dehydrated body will not metabolize properly, so make sure you're getting the fluids you need! Let's see....what else? Try not to stick with eating the same type of foods on a regular basis; you have to shake it up now and then! Keep the carbs in check and get plenty of protein.

That's all I can come up with right now. If I think of something else, I'll stop back by! Good luck! I hope some of this helps! :smile:
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    I think it's going to be different for everyone (weight, age, etc.). I only eat my exercise calories once a week. I pick a day I want to eat out with friends and then work out really hard that day to build up a calorie reserve. I don't go over my calories, but I eat pretty much all of them. The rest of the week I stick to my pre-exercise goal of 1330. Occassionaly it will be a bit over, but not often. I average a weight loss of 3-5 lbs. a week. Of course, my workouts are pretty hard and I vary them up. I also drink a lot of water.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    I usually burn around 500 calories a day exercising. I try to eat at least 300 of them...try splitting up your meals to 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day. keep your metabolism in high gear and help pack the calories in without feeling so full... good luck!
  • I'm new here and new to the concept of "exercise calories", but I wanted to add that there is more involved than simply number of calories. A few years ago, I lost 25 pounds in less than three months on a very specific (and very healthy) diet that combined fish (for Omega 3 fatty acids), high fiber and dairy. Eating that combination, I was able to consistently lose 3-5 pounds per week--even more in the first couple of weeks. But swapping out the fish for chicken or eating less fiber and exactly the same number of calories had no impact--I didn't lose weight at all.
This discussion has been closed.