Protein foods and other questions.

Options
What are some actual legit protein foods I can eat throughout the day?

People throw out Nuts and peanut butter, but at 190 calories, 140 of it being fat and only worth 8 grams of protein, it hardly seems logical... I keep hearing about the fat in nuts and peanut butter being good, instead of the fat from say milk or twinkies, but never found the explanation to what makes this fat different, and why I would want so many calories from fat. For example.

I know a chicken breast can have 32 grams of protein and only be 200ish calories, so why would I want 190 calories in the form of mostly fat and only 8 grams of protein?

Also, is there any sites that actually give legit stats on how things such as diet soda and so on and so forth is bad for you. I'm aware aspartame and such is bad for you, but I honestly don't believe it's as destructive as some sites claim.

Many things are bad for you, but in moderation generally won't harm you too bad. Alcohol is a prime example. Having a drink occasionally won't put on the pounds or destroy your liver, doing it daily over a long period of time however will.

Back on the protein thing though. It seems like most foods are a poor excuse for protein, from what I've read I need at least close to a gram of protein per pound, i'm 6'2 ans 165 pounds and it's hard for me to get that protein.

Most Yogurts and such have 5-8 grams of protein, which claims to be an excellent source of protein but recently I found greek yogurt which has less calories than most yogurts and 18 grams of protein a cup.

surely there's more worthy foods out there like the yogurts. being lactose intolerant, I can only have so much yogurt

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Salmon - you can get about 13 grams of protein for around 100 calories in the 2.5 oz pouches, if "eat throughout the day" means you're looking for snacks or for something portable, and a little better protein-to-calorie ratio than your chicken breast
    Lentils - about 9 grams of protein for 115 calories in a half cup -- not as protein dense as the chicken breast, but they come with 8 grams of fiber, no fat, and a good dose of iron and potassium. Good in soups, tossed in veggie and grain salads, or dressed with lemon, olive oil, and garlic as a side to your salmon.

Whole grains - you will get some fat from the germ, but you do need some fat. Obviously there's a lot of variation, but the large slices (ounce and half, or 43 grams) typical of some of the commercial whole grain breads might give you something like 5 grams of protein for 110 calories, with only a gram or two of fat and maybe 3-5 grams of fiber. Again, not as protein dense as your chicken, but a lot higher ratio of protein to calories than the peanut butter (not that I'm knocking peanut butter -- I think a tablespoon or two is a great way to get that healthy fat). You could stick your chicken breast between two slices or half slices, spread with a little light mayo, Greek yogurt, or a bit of mashed avocado, pile on some veggies for crunch (try shredded carrots or sliced cucumbers).

If "throughout the day" includes foods you need a stove for, you can have cooked whole grains (e.g., brown rice) or whole grain pastas in place of white rice, white potatoes, or refined grain pastas, for protein-to-calorie ratios similar to the whole grain bread. I like to cook whole-grain cereals, especially ones that include a mix of different grains, and serve them as savory side (no milk and sugar) to my protein and veggies.

A portable whole grain breakfast or snack option is to mix plain yogurt (maybe you could try a goat milk or nondairy yogurt to see if they work better with your lactose intolerance?) with raw rolled oats and your choice of fresh or dried fruit and nuts. I like blueberries and almonds. If I use Greek (thick) yogurt, or if I'm eating it right away, rather than packing it to take with me for later, I'll usually add a little milk to get the texture I like. Your protein-to-calorie ratio is obviously going to vary, but the last time I did this with 3 oz. of whole-fat Greek yogurt (meaning lots of fat), 2 tablespoons of almonds, 1/2 cup of oats, a tablespoon of 1% milk and 75 grams of blueberries, I got 18 grams of protein for 360 calories. Not as protein dense dense as the chicken breast, but better than the peanut butter, and you could improve the ratio by using low-fat or nonfat yogurt.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    chicken, beef, fish, turkey, pork, etc... in other words: meat. meat is great for protein. If sushi wasn't so damned expensive I'd eat it every day. Same for a nice sirloin.

Pork Tenderloin is the king of meats when it comes to protein. It's been proven to be the most efficiently absorbed type of protein, meaning you get to "keep" more of it. It also has a very heavy dose of protein and just enough fat.

Eggs are yummy, but the body isn't super great at absorbing egg protein. They'll do in a pinch, though.

Of course, there's always Whey... a good-tasting protein shake is an excellent supplement if you aren't getting enough. Whey is much more easily absorbed than egg protein, so there's that.

All the other plant proteins are great to have too, but I wouldn't personally rely on them for my primary source. Unless you're vegetarian or vegan, look to fauna before flora.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nuts or nut butter are usually touted as calorie dense food, not high protein.

for high protein stuff think meat - chicken & turkey are lowest fat. fish - white fish is low fat and low cals, tuna and salmon are slightly higher cals.

fat free greek yoghurt is great for protein and a yummy snack.

cheese, eggs, cottage cheese and milk are all good as well though higher cals unless you go fat free.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    For portable throughout the day type stuff:
    jerky, try to avoid the stuff with sodium nitrate if you can afford it
    lunch meat, again, avoid sodium nitrate
    boiled eggs

---
    There are multiple types of fat. Current science shows that natural fats seem to be healthy
    and are essential for various bodily functions. Fats from thinks like twinkies are probably
    unnatural (hydrogenated, partially-hydrogenated, etc.) which is considered the bad fat.
    Nuts are a decent source of protein and the healthier fats. (almonds, walnuts, etc.)
    ---
    For information about artificial sweeteners and similar such queries you can try google
    scholar or pubmed. My understanding is they are safe in moderation as long as you
    aren't allergic or are part of the portion of people who have adverse reactions.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question............lean cuts of any meat.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky
    Tuna (or lots of other fish)
    Greek Yogurt (The Dannon Oikos brand has 12 grams in 80 calories)
    Pork Rinds
    Turkey (I usually get sliced turkey breast from the deli)
    Protein Powder (the kind I get has 20 grams in 110 calories)
    Reduced Fat Bacon Bits! (I mix them, along with shredded cheese and hot sauce into a can of tuna. I get the Hormel brand)
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Beans!
    They are incredibly cheap and versatile.

I like to mix black beans with eggs and salsa in the morning.
    Top a salad with garbanzo beans and a zesty dressing.
    Hummus and felafel are both made of beans!
    Sweet potatoes also mix very will with black beans.
    Refried beans with nachos, tacos, add to a mexican style lasagna.

Canned beans are the most convenient, but some people worry about the sodium. I usually rinse them off before I eat them. Or if you have some time, dry beans cost next to nothing. Boil them with some spices, onion, bell peppers...
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Why not eggs? 6 grams of protein, around 80 calories.

About aspartame, anything that tastes that gross chemically probably isn't good for you but there's no definitive studies that proves it causes you to get cancer, insulin spikes, makes you get fat in the long run etc. Do a MFP forum search on it and watch the drama unfold.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Matrix Dark Chocolate Truffle Whey protein powder is my favorite. It tastes really good. They also make a Caribbean Cooler powder that tastes like a pina colada.

String cheese is a snack I use often for more protein. Eggs, any kind of lean meat.

If you aren't opposed to a food that isn't "clean" eating, look at any web site that sells items for weight loss surgery patients. I have some high protein oatmeal, protein fruit drinks, protein puddings and gelatin. I also have some protein bites which are like a cheese cracker but have 15 grams of protein in a serving.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    > Eggs are yummy, but the body isn't super great at absorbing egg protein. They'll do in a pinch, though.

That's only when they're raw, breh.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Why are you wanting foods "throughout the day" vs. having meals?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    > Eggs are yummy, but the body isn't super great at absorbing egg protein. They'll do in a pinch, though.

Raw is definitely a problem with absorption, but eggs compared to other protein sources do absorb slower...pork being the quickest. Saying that, if a protein is fast or slow absorbing I don't really think is anything to worry about, and maybe slower is a better choice when dieting.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    the body isn't super great at absorbing egg protein.

The exact opposite of this is true
  • neanderthin
    Options

Egg protein is very high in the bioavaiability dept. but slower to absorb than other proteins. Confusing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What are some actual legit protein foods I can eat throughout the day?
    Question posed.
    I know a chicken breast can have 32 grams of protein and only be 200ish calories, so why would I want 190 calories in the form of mostly fat and only 8 grams of protein?
    Question answered.

Where is the problem? Want protein, eat meat.

Great success.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is not going to have much in the way of lactose. The beasties eat it all up in the yogurt-making process. I eat 100 calories' worth and get 18 grams of protein that way.

I also reject your premise about all the things that are "bad for you", but you do what you want to do. I get 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, which for me works out to a 1 gram per 10 calories eaten ratio. 180 grams in 1800 calories. But then I'm eating things that are not "actually legit", like whey protein, protein bars, protein smoothies, beef jerky, etc.

I guess my body doesn't really care about "actually legit". I'm glad for that! :laugh:
  • wazuki011
    Options
    For those of you who questioned why I don't eat a lot of meat and look for throughout the day foods opposed to meals.

I only have 1 burner, a microwave and very very limited money. And my freezer is ridiculously tiny. so I can;t store much meat.

But I thank you all for the many responses
  • joshdann
    Options

Raw is definitely a problem with absorption, but eggs compared to other protein sources do absorb slower...pork being the quickest. Saying that, if a protein is fast or slow absorbing I don't really think is anything to worry about, and maybe slower is a better choice when dieting.
    depends on how quickly your "eliminate" your food that day, I guess. unabsorbed protein can be "flushed" away quite often, depending on diet.
  • joshdann
    Options

the exact opposite of your reply is true.
  • SandyC04
    Options
    I have been eating Red Lentil Hummus or Lemon Garlic Hummus with chopped veggies or sliced apple for snacks... Toss it all in a container and throw it your bag and you have a quick an easy healthy protein snack!

Another go to snack for me is the individual cans of sardines or kipper snacks... Not only do you get your protein but they rich in vitamins and amino-acids...